Trial Discussion Thread #20 - 14.04.08, Day 18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, someone said yesterday that he would have a break down and call for an adjournment to avoid cross examination. Good call!

Well, I was wondering if he might do that .. but then again, knowing that type of person, they are always sooo keen to prove their 'innocence' and they get to the stage where they believe their own lies anyway, so they do actually think they are innocent! I think he will be there, he wants to win.

I'd like to know just what was revealed that morning at his financial meeting. Such a blow that Reeva commented she'd understand if he wanted to be around family that night.

I think the reason why he didn't do all those things above is because he thought he could walk away from everything reputation in tact ,rebuild his career and more importantly his sponsorship deals .
He hasn't even admitted to *advertiser censored* reading . Seriously the judge is not going to buy this .
My thoughts entirely Gb2, my thoughts entirely. And so succinctly put.

No way in hell could you mistake his wailing for a female. The pitch was much deeper. And if he's judged unfit to testify because he can't speak without bawling every minute, then do us all a favour and stick him in a padded cell. He can't get let off this just because he can't speak! Of course he can speak. He's choosing not to, and he's choosing not to at the most convenient times.

IME, many abusers are often sorry they got caught, not remorseful of the murder itself. Often they feel justified - especially if the victim was either leaving or in the way of a potential love interest. Not tit for tatting - I follow a lot of IPHs. (There but for the grace of god go I sorta thing.) I've also volunteered for many years in DV advocacy groups both sides of the pond.

(Sarcasm alert ahead) -> It's a moot point anyway because Oscar shows absolutely no warning signs of being potentially abusive. Not a one.

BIB I'm a bit confused .. I was actually replying to Meebee's post :confused:

Yes, I'm aware of that part of it too (i.e all of what you've said in your first paragraph). I have also been involved in DA/DV support groups, having been a victim myself, and then gone on to help other people in similar situations .. so I am fully aware of the issues surrounding DA/DV, and the types of behaviours involved.

Thanks so much :)
Quoting so I can find it easily when I get home!

Lol, so glad you posted that. I was watching the wrong session, putting myself through all those msgs again, and wondering what had happened!

He did say "I think". But then he did repeat (about three times?) about hitting the door, three times.

I was interested that the first hit with the bat took that little sliver out, just enough for him to see Reeva. I always wondered if that hit came before the shots were fired, maybe.

I think if I had been in that situation, I wouldn't have a clue how many times I had hit the door, whether it was 3, 13, or 23 times! Not that I would ever be able to be in such situation, of shooting through the closed door, without having any idea who is behind them. Certainly (especially if on stumps and without proper balance), I would get my (awake!) partner and RUN AWAY from the danger and not toward it! When you feel vulnerable - you RUN. AWAY.

I am not a psychologist, but I do believe that when you feel vulnerable, week, and scared out of your mind, you don't choose to confront the enemy, but to run to safety (which is the option he freely had. He didn't even have to worry about loosing precious time by waking Reeva up, since she was already awake!

I really tried to keep an open mind, and give him a benefit of a doubt, but it just doesn't add up.

Well, I was wondering if he might do that .. but then again, knowing that type of person, they are always sooo keen to prove their 'innocence' and they get to the stage where they believe their own lies anyway, so they do actually think they are innocent! I think he will be there, he wants to win.

Funnily enough my son who is not normally that perseptive and hasn't been watching the trial that closely commented yesterday that he thinks his version of events has become reality to him .
Ie he now believes any lies he has told to be the truth .

Well, no surprise there, since his actions ruined his life, too..

But something else is interesting - how he remembers exactly how many times he hit the door - he said he hit it 3 times. This is odd to me, that he would remember the exact number of times he hit the door, in this state of shock and panic that he says he was in?

This again looks to me like it is tailored to match what the wittnesses stated that they heard, 3 bangs after the screams, does it not??

======
Convenient how he can recall fine details during the heat of the moment, yet blur or forget other moments....
======

OP has a problem with his story.....

Neighbors version: FIGHTING & SCREAMING, THEN bangs, then screaming STOPPED

OP version: Bangs, THEN "his" screaming

Yes he probably does and I am sure he regrets killing Reeva, but it seems to me that in the main his regret is more to do with the possibility of his being found guilty and having to do a few years in jail.

From how I see it he has no excuse for shooting blind through a door even if to shoot at an intruder without actually seeing one, let alone without having seen a gun and worse still he is now saying he doesn't even know why he shot the gun at all. And he has no excuse not to ensure that the only other person in his house was safely away before blasting off his gun.

And if instead OP had accepted his blame and pleaded guilty to culpable homicide and thrown himself at the mercy of the judge to be lenient (there is no minimum sentence so it could be zero). If he had accepted fully his blame in the two shooting incidents instead of denying them making out friends as liars. If he had apologised to Reeva's family at the beginning, gone to see them, tried to comfort them, help them, and if so inclined pray with them, instead of him being the one with all the family protecting and comforting him. If he had thrown himself into charity work for kids and gun awareness etc. and not even considered as he did at the time returning to competition (I think he only dropped the idea because there was quite a lot of criticism) then I could see clearly he was really repentant not just crying for the possible adverse consequences to him. But he has done none of this and that to me makes me think he is not only a coward when standing up to his actions but that he suffers from a serious lack of moral fibre.

Absolutely agree with every point you'v made.

I think if I had been in that situation, I wouldn't have a clue how many times I had hit the door, whether it was 3, 13, or 23 times! Not that I would ever be able to be in such situation, of shooting through the closed door, without having any idea who is behind them. Certainly (especially if on stumps and without proper balance), I would get my (awake!) partner and RUN AWAY from the danger and not toward it! When you feel vulnerable - you RUN. AWAY.

I am not a psychologist, but I do believe that when you feel vulnerable, week, and scared out of your mind, you don't choose to confront the enemy, but to run to safety (which is the option he freely had. He didn't even have to worry about loosing precious time by waking Reeva up, since she was already awake!

I really tried to keep an open mind, and give him a benefit of a doubt, but it just doesn't add up.

BIB
Great comment... yes what OP did was not reasonable even as a double amputee... and all he had to do was run with Reeva into the guest bedroom, lock the door, and there call Stander, security, police... and of course press the panic button, and shout out of the windows "help help help".

He's selfish to the core. All that rubbish about trying to 'put pen to paper many times' to apologise to the Steenkamps, and yet never managing to do that in over a year, and now he gets the chance to explain why he murdered their daughter and instead of being a man and just getting on with it, he has to have regular breakdowns and get the case adjourned. He knows he's putting them through absolute hell and yet he keeps making himself the centre of attention so that all people are talking about is poor Oscar breaking down!!

BIB
Great comment... yes what OP did was not reasonable even as a double amputee... and all he had to do was run with Reeva into the guest bedroom, lock the door, and there call Stander, security, police... and of course press the panic button, and shout out of the windows "help help help".

I wasn't aware there were panic buttons as it's never been mentioned, has it?

BIB

Yes it is very disturbing to me to hear now that the bedroom doors were not locked at all .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member