Trial Discussion Thread #33 - 14.05.05 Day 26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that was a judgement call on Nel's part. I think he assessed their strength and demeanor, and figured they would do more harm than good. She is a legal professional and was not going to crack. And the old man was very sympathetic character, so Nel had to walk on eggshells w/him. I think it was better to get them off the stand. He did get the culpable murder evidence with their testimony however.

I disagree.
I think Nel started to get Mr Stander to indeed crack, with the mistake or accident thing.

Could have gone on from there.

Something that struck me as odd today was the fact that whilst at Oscar's Stander asked Stipp if he'd heard anything(as in gunshots), just strikes me as odd that he would ask him that, what does it matter at that point?.

Hello everyone.
First post. Been lurking since the beginning of the trial, but too chicken to chime in till now.
Just wondering if anyone else noticed OP's face when the assessor (?) was quizzing JS about the bleeping from the alarm remote control sounding in the house?
Goodness, you could almost see the cogs whizzing round!
Apologies if someone has already flagged this up. Haven't quite caught up with all the posts yet but wanted to mention it before proceedings got underway tomorrow.

Oscar Pistorius Trial: Monday 5 May 2014, Session 1 - YouTube
At 1:24:10

Late here (UK). Will catch up tomorrow

Former estate manager.
it came out today--he had resigned in January.

And this is actually a significant thing. it means he was not called in any type of official capacity, because he did not have any on Feb.14.

And he wouldn't have had the report books that were referred to, not now.

Something that struck me as odd today was the fact that whilst at Oscar's Stander asked Stipp if he'd heard anything(as in gunshots), just strikes me as odd that he would ask him that, what does it matter at that point?.

Very good and deep point.

And was it not Stander who got Dr Stipp's phone number then and there which led [just a few hours later] with the call that said Mr Pistorius' lawyers will be contacting you shortly, as soon as Dr Stipp got to work?

BBM

If that's true, it's beyond calculating, beyond cold. Who worries about their upholstery in the midst of a scene like that? :(

With Reeva still lying dead in the house, OP was on the phone to his friend Jivaris, the expensive car "magnate", whose upscale cars OP borrowed but claimed to others were his own. He wanted Jivaris to get to his house asap, I can only imagine why. I've read that Jivaris and his wife/gf have distanced themselves from OP since.

"*3:20 a.m. - Oscar calls Netcare and reports that they advised him to take Reeva to the hospital and not wait for the ambulance" <<< Taken from Timeline thread

IS there a recording of this call?
How far is the nearest hospital?
Does Netcare (like our 911 I'm assuming) have a bad response time for ambulances?
Why doesn't/don't they say apply pressure to the wounds?
Has anyone from Netcare been questioned/testified?

I haven't listened to today's testimony, but after reading this thread it appears that neither Stander nor his daughter mentioned this. All that was said was that OP begged the Stander daughter to put Reeva in her car to take her to the hospital. Not once did either testify that OP said Netcare instructed him to do so.

Hello everyone.
First post. Been lurking since the beginning of the trial, but too chicken to chime in till now.
Just wondering if anyone else noticed OP's face when the assessor (?) was quizzing JS about the bleeping from the alarm remote control sounding in the house?
Apologies if someone has already flagged this up. Haven't quite caught up with all the posts yet but wanted to mention it before proceedings got underway tomorrow.

Yes, his mind is whirring.

In general OP seemed kind of strange. Kind of out of it. Except for moments like that.
But check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cW8gWbXjCQ
Go to 1:22:55-ish when everyone is waiting for the assessor/judge to be done discussing right before she asks that question. You can see him in the bottom right corner and he looks almost like he's on some sort of medication.

Hello everyone.

Good post.
Welcome!

ETA: That was the only time I saw OP look at Mr Stander.
And note how he did.he did not turn his head to look to his right, he kept his head straight ahead, and only had his eyes all the way to the right...

Stander and OP didn't want to rouse the neighbors. That's why imo no ambulance was summoned until Dr. Stipp insisted. I think the garbage bags were meant to protect the upholstery in whichever car they were going to use to transport dead Reeva to the hospital.

No, apparently Carice Stander thought garbage bags and tape would make a good tourniquet!

CS: We tried to stop the bleeding. I asked for bags and tape to stop the bleeding. Her arm....That didn't work.

OP lifted up her pants elastic to put the towel on her hip wound

CS: All the time he had a finger in her mouth, to help her breath I guess. Because I remember he asked me to put my finger there for a minute, when he did something...

I think OP tasked "Uncle Johan" with running interference outside the house by reassuring curious neighbors that things were okay, the ambulance is on the way (not), the cops have been called (not), and generally keeping people like Mr. Baba outside and away from the "cleanup" OP had planned before Dr. Stipp's unexpected arrival. If he hadn't been a doctor, Stipp would have been kept outside too. I can definitely imagine Stander collecting info on who'd heard what when.

Good observation. From Dr. Stipp's testimony he was very focused on Reeva and trying to see if he could save her life. He didn't even realise that he was in OP's house. I doubt he was hanging around, discussing what he had or hadn't heard.

Did Stander mention that voluntarily or was it prompted by DT or PT? Odd.

Very good and deep point.

And was it not Stander who got Dr Stipp's phone number then and there which led [just a few hours later] with the call that said Mr Pistorius' lawyers will be contacting you shortly, as soon as Dr Stipp got to work?

I think he may have called him at 4am or not long after he returned home, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about that, though. Perhaps it was someone else?

Good observation. From Dr. Stipp's testimony he was very focused on Reeva and trying to see if he could save her life. He didn't even realise that he was in OP's house. I doubt he was hanging around, discussing what he had or hadn't heard.

Did Stander mention that voluntarily or was it prompted by DT or PT? Odd.

I think he may have called him at 4am or not long after he returned home, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about that, though. Perhaps it was someone else?

Could be.
I thought the testimony was as soon as he got to work.
But I could be wrong.

ETA: Erin go bragh

Could be.
I thought the testimony was as soon as he got to work.
But I could be wrong.

Was it Mr. Johnson that got the call at work next day? Found out it was OP that was involved in the incident? I'm not at all sure. Maybe someone else remembers ...

Interesting article about 'M'lady' from the New Yorker. If I were innocent, I'd be happy to have my fate in her hands. Guilty, not so much. Admirable woman IMO. Horrifying rape statistic in this BTW - knew it was bad, but every 17 seconds!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/05/the-woman-who-will-judge-oscar-pistorius.html

Thanks.
To me it's a bit troubling that she was a journalist who it says appreciated how crucial it was to get the horrors of what apartheid was doing on record.

But then she shuts down reporting on perhaps the most crucial piece of evidence in this case.

Thanks.
To me it's a bit troubling that she was a journalist who it says appreciated how crucial it was to get the horrors of what apartheid was doing on record.

But then she shuts down reporting on perhaps the most crucial piece of evidence in this case.
No worries. This is the full autopsy report you are talking about isn't it shane? Do you know if it will be made available once the trial has concluded or will it be forever sealed? TIA.

I would very much like to know what he said in those 66 seconds. Recordings of 082911 calls must be treated very differently in SA. Here, in the US, that recording surely would have been released.

I also wonder why they did not come in as evidence.

Hello everyone.

Hello and...

enji-welcome_zps38ebbd0a.gif

Glad you decided to join in the discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech