Trial Discussion Thread #34 - 14.05.06 Day 27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Harding, BBC, tweeted this witness poses a serious problem for the prosecution, presumably because he didn't hear what the prosecution witnesses heard. But...

It also means he never heard Oscar screaming like a woman...and in providing that explanation, Oscar's defence team conceded what the prosecution's witnesses heard.

MOO

Gosh, I wish this witness would give straighter answers.

Nel: You never heard a woman screaming?

N: No Milady.

Nel: You wife never heard anything before she heard a bang?
N: When they gave their statements, she said she only heard bang and help.
Nel: Stipps said they heard a woman scream. Did he? N: No.

Dinner ready. Have to leave for a bit.

why is he dancing around questions the clearly just need a yes or no

Nel: M Burger says she heard four gunshots at 3.17. You didn't hear that?

N: In terms of gunshots, I didn't hear anything like that.

Nel has found his statement.

OP did say during testimony that he had never screamed like he did that night in his life before.

Wow, they all have portables so how come someone in the office doesn't have the job of making searchable pdfs of all testimonies, statements, documents etc. (They didn't do that here make them in the UK either at least not up to a few years ago so I don't know if they do now.

and If I am correct Michael just testified earlier it was a man screaming. He did mention high pitched or the like..

so unless the neighbor was the wife?

No he quite clearly under questioning said it was crying. He even went as far as to describe in his own language the difference between screaming and crying and he said the word (in his language) was crying.

Roux and Nel now debating OP's evidence about how loud he said his screams were...

N: I heard the man crying. That's why I called security.

N says he and OP have never spoken since the incident, and he didn't discuss the incident with Stander at the house that day, or security.

a bit of a legal giggle between Masipa and Nel, but Nel still cant find the exact words. ( ask ME, Gerrie!!) ..

Mr N.. I am not here to argue about the evidence.. I can only say what I heard. I don't want to get into it.

Nel. you know that the Stipps gave evidence they heard a woman scream

and the Burgers..

Mr N.. I didn't hear a woman scream. no. I didn't hear that.

Nel. they gave evidence. Mrs Burger, at 3.17 4 gunshots.

Mr N at the time when I made the call to security, I didn't hear an gunshots..

aha nel has found the exact words..

Oscar.. I was screaming and shouting the whole time, I don't think I have ever screamed like that before..

ROUX IS objecting. to the words?? ah. it doesn't say 'as loud as I could'..

Mr N. I heard the man that was crying. that's why I phone security.

Nel. you never spoke to Oscar on the day.. . ??

Mr N no. and we have never spoken since the incident..

Nel. did you discuss it with mr Standar??

mr N.. no. nor the security people..

Nel. when you were there at the house, there was never any discussion about what happened??

Mr N.. no. not with anyone at the house, not at all.

He says nobody was discussing what happened at the scene. I can't believe that. He says he didn't even ask. What!?

No he quite clearly under questioning said it was crying. He even went as far as to describe in his own language the difference between screaming and crying and he said the word (in his language) was crying.

And he also noted that between the words "screaming" and "crying" was a matter of personal interpretation.

He basically said what Estelle van der Merwe's husband had said. Oscar was crying like a woman.

Nel: Was there any discussion with people at the scene?

N: No.

He says there was some suggestion OP might have shot her, but he didn't know for sure.

Nel's asked for adjournment. Not suprised as he seemed to really be struggling with the witness.

Sorry I'm getting confused, and way past my bedtime. But point I was trying to say he said "man" not "woman."
ETA: and this part he said when Roux was asking him questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot