Trial Discussion Thread #38 - 14.05.13 Day 31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
N: The diagnosis, GAD, spans functioning in general....one would expeect there would be impairment of functioning on various levels of his life?

V: Yes, that's why it's called an impairment.

Hippity skippity day from North Carolina, USA. It is 3:40 am with clear skies and plenty of stars twinkling.

Boogity, boogity, boogity!!:D

Dr V: a person suffering from GAD will see things in a more serious light than they really are ..

... ok, so how come OP isn't seeing this trial in a particularly serious light?

V: It's not an uncommon disorder...

N: But to raise it to the level of a disorder, it would have to be more than common?

V explains symptoms:
Nausea, stomach upsets, distractibility etc, but people with a disorder have them constantly.

V: ...with any diagnosis, it can be mild or severe...

And there goes Nel, saying if it's severe enough, 'it could be seen as a mental illness?'

oooh....Nel is going to make Oscar puke if he goes down this road much further. lol

Charl du Plessis @CharlduPlessc · 17 Std.

Overheard in these Pistorius streets: "One man's washing machine is another man's intruder."

Voster still on the stand.... Nel x-Examine

nel asks her for her report.. she doesn't have them in front of her. she has a copy..

nel will go with the copy.. '

nel. the diagnosis.. GAD that is a diagnosis that spans functioning in general??

yes

Nel. one of the criteria.. there would be an impairment of functioning?

Vos. this is why its called a disorder.. ..

Nel. the fact that one of anxiousness in ones social life, or in sport. lots of people experience this.. ??

Vos. yes. its not uncommon.. .

Nel. but to raise it to the level of disorder... ??

Vos. to raise it to the level of disorder, one has to have anxiety more often than not, fr an extended period of time.. the issues about what one is anxious are out of proportion.. more serious than they actually are.. the reaction to this, is varied. nausea, diahhroea, sweating, irritability, sleeplessness.. an ongoing thing and a whole host of side effects..

people with anxiety disorder are unable to set their worries aside.. they have it MORE often than not....

nel. would there be levels of GAD?? lesser?? More?

Vos. with every disorder, there are levels of severity.. with any diagnosis, it can be mlld or severe..

Nel. it its impact is severe.. could it be seen as a mental illness??

Vos.. a long pause) ... I .. I really cant say it does it may impact on ones capacity to live a normal life.. one has to look at the impact of the diagnosis on the individual. a person with a very severe disorder ,may be incapacitated from getting to work, no amount of time is enough, getting up earlier and \earilier to get to work . etc.

nel. in this particular instance, there is no evidence the accused was incapacitated to that extent?.

Vos. no. he was able to function as an athlete at a high level. he controlled his stress...

Nel. but you made your evidence yesterday, that his disorder, on his version, is relevant..

Vos. it may be relevant, its for the court to decide..

V:...a person with severe GAD might be impacted on their daily capacity..

etc etc: 'I hope that explaains better Milady'

N: In this case, there's no eveidence the accused was incapacitated to that extent?

V: No...

Everything that Dr V explains about GAD (and which I already know about because I get varying degrees of it .. panic attacks, phobias, anxiouness to the point I can't do certain things or can't do them without feeling physically sick) .. and I'm afraid I do not recognise OP in any of that .. no more than anybody else, anyway.

It occurs to me that this woman may have "boned up" on her info overnight, especially if she got wind of the firestorm her testimony created.

Some with expertise in the field say that she's stating her opinions based on the former version, DMS-IV, rather than the current DMS-V.

Anyone got a strong feed in the UK. My usual Telegraph one ain't working and Wildabouttrial one is very fuzzy!

I LOVE these kind of pretzels, they are not overly common here in Australia. I would really have to search for one if the craving hit. We had a Pretzel World open nearby for a bit but business must have sucked as they shut down.
They're not hard to make, if you're interested in doing so. It's a lot like making bread - I make them with my kids a lot because I have a hard time finding them here too (every mall in America probably has a pretzel shop though!). I use course salt and either make my own cheese sauce to dip them in or sprinkle them with parmesan, garlic, basil and oregano and dip them in marinara. Cinnamon/sugar with a cream cheese dip has proven popular in my house too.

This is my favourite recipe (but the measurements are imperial so will need conversion): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttery-soft-pretzels/

This one is untried but in metric: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8229/soft-pretzels.aspx

**Sorry for the O/T everyone!**

N: We've had evidence from a friend and former girlfriend, none of them indicated seeing anxiety in the accused.

V explains how laypeople don't notice anxiety, and even OP's family didn't know he had anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot