Trial Discussion Thread #39 - 14.05.14 Day 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'outpatient' .. give me bluddy strength :banghead:

You know, I think the judge is buying all his 'intruder' crap.

I don't think so...she is just covering her bases - she has been doing it all trial.

This outpatient thingy is fine for her...these are minor points for her...I think she is gonna go down hard on OP when the verdict comes.

That was quite tense. I really wasn't sure at first what judge had decided, but then she kept dropping clues.

J: The aim of the referral is not to punish the accused twice, so if there is a possibility of an outpatient basis, it would be preferable.

That's a blow. And I don't really see how he can be acurately assessed as an outpatient.

Wow! court had no choice really after Dr V. Not sure re out patient though, defeats the object I'd have thought, re observing 24/7.

Still we'll see, sounds as though details to be confirmed next week, 20.5.14. Might be some discussion about it then.

I'll be back tonight to see what everyone thinks. :seeya:

ETA: Hoping the hospital may insist on him being an inpatient in order to prepare their reports, I would think they'll have some say. Can only hope.

Well he may be outpatient but he's going to be seen by three different psychiatrists and it's gonna be hard to keep up with his version.

That's a blow. And I don't really see how he can be acurately assessed as an outpatient.

Ok, well I still hope they use Hypnosis therapy to really find out what happened on that fate day.

9.24am BST

What needs to be decided by Tuesday?

State and defence teams will need to decide which hospital he will be treated at, and whether the chosen institution has space for him. They will be mindful of any further delays to the trial – the observation would generally last 30 days,
but there might be a waiting period before treatment can start.

Judge Masipa indicated she was sympathetic to the defence request that Pistorius should be treated as an outpatient. Waiting times for an inpatient place in a psychiatric hospital can be several months, South African media reports.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/oscar-pistorius-trial-judge-mental-health-live

I hope Nel takes the long weekend off and goes to the beach or a nice luxury safari lodge... he's earned it!

Doesn't matter whether in or outpatient . It will still clear things up and Nel will have benefit of additional info . Home goal for the defence IMO .

I agree. I am not overly fussed whether he is assessed in or out. I would have preferred in but it is just a process to determine certain issues (must admit I was surprised though, it was not something I even considered). Don't agree it is a home goal for the defence at all though. I don't see it being a goal for either side, it is just something that must be done in order to give him a fair trial and perhaps avoid an appeal on a certain basis in the future.

So sweet Masipa, suggesting if possible for it to be on an out patient basis so as not to "punish" the defendant twice.

That is imo what justice is about, and I think Nel bought the application for the same reason and not out of his wish to gain a conviction at all costs, i.e. if OP has another defence he should be allowed to use it, and if he hasn't well trial will resume and no harm done. The State has complied with its moral duty, i.e. protecting the interests of an accused, the interests of justice as well as protecting the state from an unnecessary appeal later on. My faith in the law and justice is restored.

Gosh looks like this is going to be a home goal for the defence.
Good for prosecution as it provides them with more info and reduces risk of appeal .

You beat me to it! Was just going to say "own goal". I thought it would go the other way. I'm pleased though - not that my opinion matters at all!

I hope they don't have a corrupt set of psychiatrists that deem him unfit to stand trial... that would be the worst thing ever!!!!

Right that's me back to work now. Bye for now x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member