Trial Discussion Thread #50 - 14.08.8, Day 40 ~final arguments continue~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just 1 hour into Nel's closing --- he is ah-mazing. All details, all pieces of evidence no matter how small... wonder if I should listen to Roux's at all... thoughts?

Same here..Nel's closing was breathtaking.. I couldn catch up with yesterday's thread as well ..
OTOH the uncle, aunt next to him, and the lady next to father appeared smiling to me most of the time.. :eek:
they looked almost pleased and happy... is it just me ???

According to Sky’s Alex Crawford, Pistorius’ family clearly thought Roux was successful. There was much hugging, smiling and kissing and they were slapping Roux on his back and shaking his hand after the conclusion.

She then had a brief exchange with Arnold Pistorius:

Alex:” How do you think it’s gone?”

Arnold: “It’s like watching a Mercedes car against a Fiat.”

Alex: “Do you think he’s done enough?”

Arnold: “Oh yes, more than enough. I want him (gesturing towards Oscar) back in the Olympics.”

Alex:” Really, do you think that’s possible?”

Arnold:” I flippin’ hope so.”

Arnold is on some parallel universe coz OP just admitted to firemam charges and DT thinks culpable homicide is more suitable!!

RBBM

The silly thing about that statement is that at any time he could have accepted culpability and plead guilty to culpable homicide. Perhaps the State may have once considered a plea deal - but Roux, or Oscar, or perhaps both placed their bets on a full acquittal which was unlikely at even the outset, imo, and much less likely since his rather damning testimony. Now CH seems like the best bet (for the defence)...were it not for those blood-curdling screams (which were the very reason the State ever pursued a murder charge in the first place).

All JMO

I really don't understand Roux defence.

Hi, I haven't been watching too much but what is going on regarding Fresco?

He was told when he took the stand that he would be given immunity (for a firearm charge at Tasha's I suppose since he handed his loaded weapon to someone under the table) if he swore to tell the truth when giving evidence.

Since trial is over, Masipa asked both the PT and DT today if she should grant him immunity. PT said yes, DT said he was dishonest. I guess procedure is to now call him back so Masipa can question him and make a ruling on it.

It seems such a coincidence that OPs father turns up at this stage... did he just happen to be in town to see Carl in hospital? The others probably ambushed him to appear in court and sign the affidavit.

a lot of this trial reminds me of eastenders ..dirty den comes to mind ;)

Arnold is on some parallel universe coz OP just admitted to firemam charges and DT thinks culpable homicide is more suitable!!

I'm getting a horrible feeling that a plea deal was made at the 11th hour... why would he all of a sudden change his tac?

I'm pretty sure a conviction of CH will be considered a win in the DT's eyes since it's pretty clear he committed murder.

It seems such a coincidence that OPs father turns up at this stage... did he just happen to be in town to see Carl in hospital? The others probably ambushed him to appear in court and sign the affidavit.

what? what affidavit? :confused:

Same here..Nel's closing was breathtaking.. I couldn catch up with yesterday's thread as well ..
OTOH the uncle, aunt next to him, and the lady next to father appeared smiling to me most of the time.. :eek:
they looked almost pleased and happy
... is it just me ???

One would think they would be looking more sober, what with Carl on a ventilator in the intensive care unit.

The BIG problem in Roux's closing arguments is that he picked and chose ONLY what suited the Defence…

Every witness and every piece of evidence was an all-dressed pizza BUT the Defence was strictly vegan…

So they carefully picked the uncontaminated peppers and mushrooms discarding the pepperoni, the cheese, the dough and the sauce.

The Defence displays the unappetizing plate of peppers and mushrooms attempting to convince Masipa that this is what a real delicious pizza looks like.

BIB - Delusional :rolleyes:

And not just delusional but such an unpleasant seeming person - like uncle, like nephew IMO. Even the car analogy ultimately reeks of money in terms of what you can buy. If Pistorius does get off I hope he does end up at an Olympics as I believe the booing that will resound around the stadium might finally convince this family of how little regard the vast majority of people who have followed this case now have for this snivelling excuse for a man.

And not just delusional but such an unpleasant seeming person - like uncle, like nephew IMO. Even the car analogy ultimately reeks of money in terms of what you can buy. If Pistorius does get off I hope he does end up at an Olympics as I believe the booing that will resound around the stadium might finally convince this family of how little regard the vast majority of people who have followed this case now have for this snivelling excuse for a man.

You know? As much as I would love for the world to be like that, it won't. If this one gets off and goes back to the Olympics, nothing will change. Nothing at all. Remember Michael Vick? OJ? This world gives people like them a pass. They kill, torture animals and humans, and then pack stadiums to see them. Sad state of affairs. That's one of the reasons I want OP convicted. Enough is enough.

She asked Nel if the information cited by Roux in the timeline is common cause - to which Nel replied yes, the phone data is common cause. He did not say there was anything about the timeline that was disputed - again completely refusing to deal with the sequence of first gunshots heard by Stipps. The only inference is that he does not or cannot dispute it. I think the judge was trying to get him to commit by clarifying his dispute with the timeline, but he agreed it was common cause.

Incorrect…

Nel said that the telephone records were common cause BUT that the timeline was NOT, specifically the Mr and Ms. Mikes actions at the alleged 3:12AM

Some should listen to what is actually said and NOT hear what they wish to hear. ;)

Ok maybe wrong term, but I read somewhere that he signed something to say that the ammo was indeed his and not OPs

It makes no difference though - it was still illegal for OP to keep the ammunition without a permit, regardless of who owned it.

Can you imagine what he will be like if he gets away with murder? He will be even more insufferable and I feel fairly sure, given the run ins he has with various people, that there will be many more incidents like those we have read about in the past. With OP's history, how Roux can say OP backs away from confrontation is gobsmackingly mindboggling and how a lawyer can tell so many barefaced lies is beyond me. OP courts danger, causes conflict, is arrogant and is a thoroughly selfish guy to boot. Trouble will follow him around. I can see tantrums and fights galore when he is shunned by huge swathes of SA and world figures. If Masipa lets him go she will have a lot to answer for.

Paraphrasing Boileau…

La Vérité se conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement et les mots pour la raconter arrivent aisément.

Translation

Truth is readily conceived, clearly expressed an the words to tell it come easily.

… something Masipa should keep in mind when looking back at all the witnesses and comparing their testimony to OP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8