Trial Discussion Thread #58 - 14.17.10, Day 47 ~ sentencing~

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "we don't want to punish him twice " comment by the judge shocked me to the core and from that point despite all the evidence to the contrary I figured on a lenient outcome for OP whilst still very much hoping to be wrong .

Can anyone link me to the video (Youtube?) where Masipa says this? Thanks!

Having stepped away from the case for a week or so I tend to think we have all headed down the rabbit hole with Masipa

~snipped for brevity~

Thank you so much for this post, mrjitty! This is it, this is exactly it! In all this time I've not looked at it from this perspective before, and it's just nailed it for me. Have bookmarked :thumb:

Mark Difford @markdifford Oct 16
By calling Modise, #GerrieNel put #JudgeMasipa in potential check+mate. Sentence becomes a judgement of our prison system. #OscarPistorius

I would hope that if this is the case, she'd at least give 5 years of house arrest.
House arrest is just nothing. He gets to stay with Uncle Arnold, and can leave to go shopping, the doctors, training, church, and whatever other activities are deemed permissible. All he'll probably miss is going clubbing, but no doubt he can have friends round (if he has any left) and Arnie can supply all the alcohol that's needed. As Nel said, house arrest is a shockingly inappropriate sentence for the crime.

On a different note, I've been thinking more about prison, and (joking aside) I genuinely feel it could help him. All his pampered life he's been allowed to get away with truly appalling behaviour. He's hurt people, lied, cheated, and outside of his athletic career, has lived a very shallow life. Maybe prison will humble him, and make him see how fortunate he really was.

Maybe when his freedom has been taken away from him, and he doesn't get to call the shots anymore, he'll have time for a little self reflection (away from his enabling family). Maybe without external influences, he'll finally be able to acknowledge the pain he's caused Reeva's family, and re-enter society with a fully functional conscience. On the other hand, pigs could fly. But I can still hope :smile:

Maybe, he means that Uncle Arnold is having to step in and fund the legal fees because OP has run out of funds?

Also, I believe that Roux has made so much money out of the case that it would look bad on him if he ditched OP at the eleventh hour, now that funds are running out.

I thought that it was tacky of Roux to mention that Oscar can't pay his legal bills because there is no doubt in my mind that he's being paid. Roux would have made sure of that before he took on the case and received a large retainer. Uncle Arnie has big pockets and "the family that prays together, stays together".

Anyone know what likely form Tuesday will take? Will we all be kept in suspenders with lots of yadayadayada from Milady followed by the pronouncement of the sentence or does she just dive in? If JP gets jail time and does not lodge an appeal will he be carted off there and then? If he gets jail time and does lodge an appeal will he be free in the meantime?

LOL AlexUK, I had visions of all websleuthers sitting at home in their suspenders waiting for OP to be carted off to jail.

Hadley Freeman from the Guardian says:

"Pistorius has been back in court in South Africa for his sentencing for the killing of Reeva Steenkamp. Pistorius’s unflappable lawyer, Barry Roux, has argued that Pistorius, who pumped four dum-dum bullets into his girlfriend’s body, has suffered quite enough by now and should be spared prison. Roux said that Pistorius “lost a person he loved” –
editorial interjection here: he “lost” her because he killed her – “[he lost] his self-respect, most of his friends, his career, all his properties, all his money. He’s lost everything.”

This, of course, is not strictly true: he hasn’t lost his life, unlike Steenkamp. But then, Roux added sorrowfully, “He has lost his sponsors.” Calling the world’s tiniest violin, your services are required! It’s true, Pistorius probably won’t be bagging any more lucrative contracts from Thierry Mugler, but such is the price one pays for shooting a gun in the middle of the night at a noise you hear in your house without bothering to check if it’s actually your girlfriend.

“There was an accused and a victim … and the accused became the victim,” Roux intoned solemnly. It really would be fascinating to know if he could bring himself to say those words to Steenkamp’s family while looking them straight in the eye".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/17/oscar-pistorius-ched-evans

I thought that it was tacky of Roux to mention that Oscar can't pay his legal bills because there is no doubt in my mind that he's being paid. Roux would have made sure of that before he took on the case and received a large retainer. Uncle Arnie has big pockets and "the family that prays together, stays together".

It's difficult to know exactly what he meant. The trial has dragged on far longer than anticipated, so it's not unlikely that the costs are much higher than Roux's clerk's original estimate. Perhaps, he's not charging his full fee in view of this. Even if Uncle Arnold is helping out, Roux's fees may have been negotiated down.

House arrest is just nothing. He gets to stay with Uncle Arnold, and can leave to go shopping, the doctors, training, church, and whatever other activities are deemed permissible. All he'll probably miss is going clubbing, but no doubt he can have friends round (if he has any left) and Arnie can supply all the alcohol that's needed. As Nel said, house arrest is a shockingly inappropriate sentence for the crime.

On a different note, I've been thinking more about prison, and (joking aside) I genuinely feel it could help him. All his pampered life he's been allowed to get away with truly appalling behaviour. He's hurt people, lied, cheated, and outside of his athletic career, has lived a very shallow life. Maybe prison will humble him, and make him see how fortunate he really was.

Maybe when his freedom has been taken away from him, and he doesn't get to call the shots anymore, he'll have time for a little self reflection (away from his enabling family). Maybe without external influences, he'll finally be able to acknowledge the pain he's caused Reeva's family, and re-enter society with a fully functional conscience. On the other hand, pigs could fly. But I can still hope :smile:

I know and I sure agree with Nel about house arrest even with conditions attached.

I don't know if Oscar is salvageable. I know he's only 27 but he was born with a physical disability and because of it he appears to have developed mental disabilities. Then, of course, he's adopted the arrogance of his family with money and power.

He was a time bomb and it went off. How does he pick up the pieces when he's lost fame and fortune - which appear to be the only things important to him. As we all know, everytime he cries in Court, it's for himself. He has no empathy or sympathy. I think it would take years of therapy (which I don't believe he'd get in prison) for him to change.

Didn't we just read from a posted link, that other prisoners would look after him? Seems to me, he'd be idolized in prison which would continue to stroke his ego.

I dunno. Right now he's got nothing. He can run all he wants but he won't have any sponsors. He's been convicted of manslaughter on the world stage. It might have been better for him if this trial hadn't been televised. I don't know what the age range is for running, but he might be running out of time for that too.

It's difficult to know exactly what he meant. The trial has dragged on far longer than anticipated, so it's not unlikely that the costs are much higher than Roux's clerk's original estimate. Perhaps, he's not charging his full fee in view of this. Even if Uncle Arnold is helping out, Roux's fees may have been negotiated down.

I don't know about you, but I've had to hire a couple of lawyers in my lifetime (nothing criminal!!:)) and their fees have never been up for negotiation. Everything they do is billable.
I just thought it was cheap for Roux to mention it because it could very well be misleading.

I don't know about you, but I've had to hire a couple of lawyers in my lifetime (nothing criminal!!:)) and their fees have never been up for negotiation. Everything they do is billable.
I just thought it was cheap for Roux to mention it because it could very well be misleading.

Maybe he should have dispensed with Oldwage (sp?) right from the start as he didn't seem to contribute much and seemed to rub just about everyone up the wrong way. I thought it was a bit bizarre to include his legal costs as part of 'what this has cost Oscar' as it's been common knowledge since day 1 that he was hiring the best that money could buy. I'm sure Reggie Perumal, the pathologist, didn't come cheap and he didn't even end up appearing and the defence witnesses used the state's pathology report instead of his! So I just couldn't see the point of it - there's other issues for those who want to feel sympathy for Pistorius to latch onto without playing a 'I had to spend all my money on fancy lawyers' card.

Here you go:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBnX2YDYRL4

Go to 20:26 (right at the end of the video). This short video is an extract from the day's proceedings.

Thanks. Definitely a 'Wow' moment.

Another 'Wow' (for me, at least) was during OP's grandstanding apology speech. Masipa very gingerly interrupted and said, "Mr. Pistorious, I don't like doing this to you, but I can hardly hear you."

I've gotten to the point where I can barely look at her mopey dopey face.

Dont let his crys of being without money bother you ..he had and still has more than enough to retire and never worry about money again he had however lost the admaraction he craves ....he is used to fans rushing to greet him like a hero ....that is gone...
For me today boiled down to the judge asking nel how long a sentance would the prosecution expect...min10 years my lady....
Now chew on that thought till tuesday team op.....

He could have saved half the fees if he hadn't wasted so much time lying and blubbering.

If he'd pleaded guilty to the Tasha's incident, then Sam Taylor and Darren Fresco wouldn't have needed to be called.

When I saw this picture of June comforting her niece, I was immediately reminded that she'd never be able to comfort her daughter again. If Roux wants to see 'broken', he should look at this picture, and remember that Reeva will always be gone for them, unlike OP, whose family can reach out and touch and hug him any time. He has given Reeva's family a life sentence, and house arrest is suitable? I don't think so. Look at Kim's face and then tell us OP is the one who's broken. He did this, no one else.

kim.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29664618?postId=120576433#comment_120576433

I think there was probably a grain of truth in there somewhere. My feeling is that the fees in this case are monumental and I'd be very surprised indeed if they weren't negotiated - I'm not sure about the procedure in S Africa, but, in the UK, Counsel's clerk negotiates the brief fee with Counsel's instructing solicitor.

As the trial dragged on, Roux may have felt obliged to charge less than his normal daily rate because the costs were already astronomical.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Roux couldn't resist letting the world know today that he's not presently charging full whack, which, although it may be true, is not to say that he hasn't done tremendously well out of this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91