Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a lot of comment out there that judge contradicted her own verdict in the sentencing? About OP knowing he was shooting a person behind the door?

Whoop saying they don't see how Nel can NOT appeal....

He absolutely has to .. this is disgraceful. I'm sorry, I don't subscribe the view of 'well it's better than nothing, I didn't think he would even spend one day in jail' .. this has to be done correctly, otherwise it's just special treatment. He murdered Reeva in cold blood, the evidence proves he did.

David Dadic retweeted
Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 5m 5 minutes ago
NB: Section that Oscar Pistorius sentenced under means he will serve ten months in jail and the be released on house arrest @eNCAnews

If there is ever another trial for any reason, I sure hope they get a different judge. Good night all.

"Pistorius’s legal team is leaving the court room.

Their
understanding is that he will serve 10 months in jail and then move to house arrest".

So we don't know that it's fact he'll be out in 10 months. Masipa didn't say anything about house arrest for the last part of his sentence. It's only the DT who are saying this.

Nel will go off and consult with his colleagues about an appeal. JM got very near to deciding he intended to kill. There's also the matter of a NG on possession of ammunition when he did not have a licence. Roux will no doubt advise OP and co. to have no appeal in case he gets a more serious verdict and sentence.

from news24:

The NPA says it hasn't yet made up its mind on whether to appeal.

I think state (not Nel) have said they haven't decided about an appeal yet. They have 14 days.

Someone speaking on behalf of the State said they are considering whether to appeal and will do so within 14 days. I'd be gobsmacked if they haven't already made that decision. I saw Nel taking notes from time to time.

i assume the 1/6th is due to the sentence being 5 years... anything more and it would have been 1/2. is this correct?
if so, masipa has used the system to be lenient rather than balanced. imo.

so 5 years for ch bordering on eventualis [her words]
3 years [albeit suspended] for tashas. and concurrent.

how does the tasha's sentence ever come into play?

NPA says they're holding the option to appeal open, if review of the law supports it.. Can't do it because people want it but thanks public for support for an appeal.

Is this supposed to be the Judge's last case? If the State does intend to appeal, I wonder if they have chosen not to indicate this during sentencing to allow the Judge to wrap things and exit proceedings without further ado.

I got the impression from Nel saying 'That's the end Milady', that there is no chance of a state appeal, Roux seems to have said the same so....

That's it folks. It is what it is.

It seems a very, very short sentence to me but. June has said she is satisfied, so that's good.

BBM .. the problem is that justice isn't about satisfying the victims, it's about a number of things .. it's about being a deterrant, it's about setting (or rather 'not') setting precedents, it's about making sure society does not take the law into it's own hands. I know that June herself just wants the truth and not vengence and I can totally understand and appreciate that .. and god bless her and all her family for what they've been through .. but that's not what the justice system is all about at the end of the day, that is only part of it. My real worry now is that men will think they can do what they like with women, treat them appallingly, shoot them if they want to or if they've had a bad day, then make up some *advertiser censored* and bull story, and just get away with a few months in prison. That's just not on in my book.

I think AV the social worker/probation officer has ruined her own career as effectively as Oscar has ruined his, through her ridiculous 'I take note thereof' testimony. Which the judge ignored anyway, because it was so unreliable.

Total mayhem outside the court. There's a white police vehicle that looks like it might be the one to take him away.

NPA says some consolation in sentence but am still considering whether to appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech