GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not, of course, but the ID process leaves the jurors emotions (about the DP) entirely out of the equation, and instead focuses them on deciding the merits of underlying reasons for which (in this case) there was no doubt whatsoever imo. And I think you and all the others here would agree.

There were 6 questions in all, the following x 3
1 Was this murder of ____ committed for remuneration of some kind? [He clearly did each to obtain sex and money. Easy to say yes. Obvious.]
... If yes, were the mitigating factors sufficient to make the DP unjust? [No. There were no mitigating factors to consider.]
2 Was this murder of ____ committed in a heinous, extreme, cruel way of some kind? [Each murder fit that description too.]
... If yes, were the mitigating factors sufficient to make the DP unjust? [No. There were no mitigating factors to consider.]

All were clearly yes, and not offset by any mitigating factor. And that was all the jury had to figure out. None of the jurors had to wrestle with whether they like the DP or not, but rather with those 2 questions for each murder.
It seems the Idaho process is designed to help the jury understand it is the murderer who sent himself to death row not the jury who simply could not find any reason to intervene and spare his life.

I tend to favor the death penalty when the option is present because if nothing else, it is poetic, and in some ways deals more psychological damage. They know that one day they will be seeing the needle, the chair, or facing the wall. They never know when their appeals will finally run out. They might just have to feel a smidgeon of what the people they killed felt when they murdered them. It says, "We think what you did was so bad that you are worthy of having the same done to yourself." The DP is expensive, but the State doesn't toss around the DP like it's bird seed at a wedding; it is reserved for special cases, and IMO they may not even pursue it enough. MOO.

If he ends up dying in prison of natural causes, then he still got life.

The chances of Chad preaching his gospel to other prisoners and gaining followers are not zero. He does not need to have access to gen pop. MOO.

"Chad is introverted." So am I but I don't want to be kept in a cubicle for 23 hours a day for the rest of whatever remains of my life. MOO.

"Chad will think he's a martyr." He was going to do that even if he got LWOP. Did the defense ever truly deny these were Chad's religious beliefs? "This will just feed into his kids' persecution complex." They were going to double-down on this anyway. MOO.

"Not me, mom." - Tylee Ryan

If they haven't already, I hope the families get to walk along the beautiful Boise Greenbelt, along the River, and maybe into one of the lovely Boise Parks. Kathryn Albertson Park, a nature park, would be a good choice. Soothing and calming.

I hope the Jurors will find their happy places and spend as much time as they can there. Maybe out to Owyhee County, wandering among the rock formations and wild beauty. Or up to Bogus Basin, where they can look down on the valley.
Maybe one of the natural hot springs in surrounding areas. Or just for a hike in the Foothills, among the many trails.

I just pray for peace for them all.

It’s how he was yesterday when the judge announced no mitigating presentation too.

The way he looks at the wall, it's like saying he doesn't accept the court's authority. And maybe think he's going to be saved still, like escape through a portal.

I'm guessing he didn't try to mitigate because it would mean admitting he did it and would be validating the process.

No polling of individual jurors for the findings of guilty.
No presentation of mitigating factors before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No allocution before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No polling of individual jurors for the findings relevant to the DP.

JP seemed to have surrendered after giving it his all through the point of ending his closing statement. Why?

The way he looks at the wall, it's like saying he doesn't accept the court's authority. And maybe think he's going to be saved still, like escape through a portal.

I'm guessing he didn't try to mitigate because it would mean admitting he did it and would be validating the process.
Hard for me to tell with the different camera angles but I thought he was facing the judge and clerk while she read.

No polling of individual jurors for the findings of guilty.
No presentation of mitigating factors before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No allocution before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No polling of individual jurors for the findings relevant to the DP.

JP seemed to have surrendered after giving it his all through the point of ending his closing statement. Why?
And no address by the judge. That part was a little disappointing. It would be interesting to compare his opinion to that he gave at Lori's trial.

Update!

Saturday, June 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 34)/Penalty Phase (Day 2) (@ 9am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. 5/2/24: Juror dismissed due to illness. Now: 12 jurors & 5 alternates. [No gender count].
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County. State rested their case on 5/16/24. Defense began their case on 5/20/24 & ended on 5/23/24. State’s rebuttal case started 5/23 & ended 5/28/24. Closing arguments on 5/29/24.
Verdict Watch: Jury deliberations Day 1 (5/29/24) ~2 hours. Day 2 (5/30/24): started @ 8am to 10am/11:10am to 1pm. ~1 hours 50 minutes. TOTAL Deliberations: ~5 hours & 50 minutes. VERDICT:
Guilty on ALL charges.
Penalty Phase: Jury deliberations Day 1 (5/31/24): ~5 hours 45 minutes. Day 2 (6/1/24): 8:30a-10:45a ~2 hours 15 minutes.
Total Hours: ~8 hours.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.
Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Days 1-33 (4/10-5/31/24), Jury Deliberations Day 1-2 (5/29-30/24) & Penalty Phase Day 1 (5/31/24) reference post #918 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-7.713735/page-46

6/1/24 Saturday, Trial Day 34/Penalty Phase (Day 2): *Jury started deliberations @ 8:30am to 10:45am. Verdict reached!
*The jury has found that ALL aggravating factors alleged by the state DO exist. The jury has found that the mitigating factors are not compelling enough, that the death penalty is unjust. The clerk is reading every aggravating factor, and all of them do not find that the death penalty is unjust. Chad Daybell has been given the death penalty by the jury. Chad is still emotionless. Judge Boyce will also sentence Judge Boyce for the insurance fraud charges now.
*Judge Boyce says that he has reviewed the jury’s sentence of death, so he will now sentence Chad officially on the counts in the amended indictment.
Count 1: Criminal Conspiracy to kill Tylee Ryan and Grand Theft by Deception – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
Count 2: First-Degree Murder of Tylee Ryan – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
Count 3: Criminal Conspiracy to kill JJ Vallow and Grand Theft by Deception – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
Count 4: First-Degree Murder of JJ Vallow – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
Count 5: Conspiracy to Commit First-Degree Murder of Tammy Daybell – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
Count 6: First-Degree Murder of Tammy Daybell – Chad is officially
sentenced to death.
*Judge Boyce says he has considered the factors of the case in lieu of a pre-sentence investigation report after Chad waived his right to have one done. The state will be making a statement before sentencing for insurance fraud.
*Prosecutor Lindsey Blake says in part - the victim impact statements from yesterday covers everything they would want to say.
*Chad declines to make a statement before the sentencing on insurance fraud cases. Judge Boyce sentences Chad
to 15 years in prison for each of the 2 insurance fraud couts. The rationale for the insurance fraud sentences is that they are intertwined with murder charges that ended up with the death penalty.
For more info see post #980 (#990 page 50) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-7.713735/page-49

*Lori Norene Vallow aka Lori Norene Daybell (46/now 50) – Fremont County: Trial started on 4/10/23 & ended 5/10/23. 5/12/23: Guilty of all charges. Sentenced (7/31/23) to 3 consecutive life without parole sentence. 8/31/23 Update: Jim Archibald, Vallow's attorney has filed a Notice of Appeal & a motion to appoint state appellate public defender. New appeal attorney Craig Durham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creole Lady