TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Lori know that Chad is throwing her under the bus? She said at her sentencing that Jesus knew that nobody had been murdered. Well, Chad's defense suggests that she and Alex are murderers. Why would she continue to follow Chad and his teachings? She used to be known for her vengefullness.

Do we know on what grounds Chad was allowed a separate trial?

if the jury is predominantly LDS, will they be more likely to see Chad’s godly pronouncements for the garbage that they truly are and how far from orthodox LDS doctrine he and Lori strayed? i hope so
moo

I have an opinion about Prior's opening statement bombshell claim that 3-4 of Chad's children are going to testify that Tammy was sick.

It was designed to get the exact reaction it got. It has all of us discussing this announcement as if it were true. But it might not be. If Chad/Prior later changed their minds, we are all left discussing this anticipated testimony as if it has already happened.

It certainly could be that the children believe their father was framed, but it involves a belief system that would not come off as credible to a big-town jury, such as that police were planting evidence. It involves battling accounts of health from the children, who have a reason to lie, and Tammy's coworkers and family, who do not. It involves the children being cross examined about details. For example, one child, I recall, was in a rigorous exercise class with Tammy, and the instructor of that class did testify at Lori's trial, IIRC.

I don't see such testimony "working" in trial, so therefore, I predict that this testimony will never actually happen. I think the defense is just planting this idea in the jury's heads, so that they doubt the testimony of Tammy being well. But I predict that the defense will never actually put up this testimony from the children.

MOO
IMO he will put at least one of Chad and Tammy's children on the stand to defend Chad (if I had to choose, it would be Emma). They probably weren't equally close to Tammy and there's no point in repeating the exact same claim about Tammy four times. Also, symptoms of menopause could be seen as ill health. When Tammy visited her parents and sister two weeks before her death she seemed in excellent health. Her sister will likely testify to that.

Something that has never sat right with me, is if Chad has never said that Lori lied to him about where the kids were, and doesn't take the stand, why is Prior allowed to suggest it?

Prior can obviously require the state to prove it's case (burden) but why is he allowed to imply a factual scenario dependent on Chad's personal knowledge, for which there is no evidence?

So I agree they have the evidence but it just irks me that counsel is allowed to create complete fanfic in this way
In theory, lawyers are not permitted ethically to claim facts that they know are not true or which they do not have evidence to support. Consider Jose Baez getting up in court to defend Casey Anthony and dropping the bombshell that her father had been molesting her and was responsible for her death by drowning and then covering it up. No evidence was ever admitted during the trial and many people remain outraged at his conduct. We will almost certainly never know whether there was any even remotely credible basis for his claim, and it will always be controversial. I'm still mystified that the jury did not "punish" Baez for not keeping his implied promise that there would be evidence presented on the point. I firmly believe that if the same case was presented to 10 different juries the majority would have convicted her.

In this case I'm afraid Mr. Prior does not have skills close to those wielded by Mr. Baez and I cannot see him overcoming the weight of the evidence here.

Last edited:
In theory, lawyers are not permitted ethically to claim facts that they know are not true or which they do not have evidence to support.

Agreed in theory ;)

Consider Jose Baez getting up in court to defend Casey Anthony and dropping the bombshell that her father had been molesting her and was responsible for her death by drowning and then covering it up. No evidence was ever admitted during the trial and many people remain outraged at his conduct. We will almost certainly never know whether there was any even remotely credible basis for his claim, and it will always be controversial.

Exactly!

I get especially exasperated when counsel gets up and says certain facts can be explained by a version of the events that only the defendant can know of - but then the defendant never said that nor testifies.

I'm still mystified that the jury did not "punish" Baez for not keeping his implied promise that there would be evidence presented on the point. I firmly believe that if the same case was presented to 10 different juries the majority would have convicted her.

Yes why is this allowed? I've also seen it in opening when the defence claims that will present evidence to show X, Y and Z and then they don't actually have that evidence. They just sock puppet a story from counsel.

In this case I'm afraid Mr. Prior does not have skills close to those wielded by Mr. Baez and I cannot see him overcoming the weight of the evidence here.

I agree it's laughable but it still annoys me. IMO Prior was already walking right up to and ploughing over the line in painting LV as a seductress who murdered her kids and pulled the wool over Chad's eyes before framing him. Where is any evidence that LV lied to Chad about the kids? Will Chad testify to that??

@cathyrusson

Public Service Announcement: I also am not happy with the video/audio coming from the COURT in the #ChadDaybell trial. There’s really nothing we can do about it. In #LoriVallow’s trial last year Judge Boyce allowed NO video, NO livestream and only allowed us to get audio at the end of every day. This time around the defense requested that the trial be live streamed. That is the ONLY reason we have video and in real time. Personally, I’ll take what I can get.

12:16 AM · Apr 11, 2024

Eva, ID? This trial is being held in Boise, ID. In ADA county.
Oh gosh, I apologize. I got this trial and the Oklahoma missing women location names mixed up! Oklahoma women were driving to Eva. The Kohlburger lawyers were suggesting Ada County, Idaho would be a preference if that trial was moved. Thank you for catching my error.

Oh gosh, I apologize. I got this trial and the Oklahoma missing women location names mixed up! Oklahoma women were driving to Eva. The Kohlburger lawyers were suggesting Ada County, Idaho would be a preference if that trial was moved. Thank you for catching my error.
I knew it sounded familiar!
Following the missing pair as well

Consider LDS culture, in which a certain amount of visionary experience is not considered odd. How many jury members are Church members; do we know?
To an extent but to say that normal people have "visions" isn't accurate. To say we have premonitions, or "promptings" would be much more common and accurate. And generally those are described as a strong gut feeling, a quiet feeling, a quiet whisper. Something along those lines. And it's not unique to LDS. A lot of the world describe it as following your gut.
if the jury is predominantly LDS, will they be more likely to see Chad’s godly pronouncements for the garbage that they truly are and how far from orthodox LDS doctrine he and Lori strayed? i hope so
moo
Yes. If there are LDS on the jury, in my very LDS opinion, they would judge him harder for his garbage because he absolutely knew better and took our faith and purposely twisted it into something completely disgusting and perverted. CD and LV make me irrationally angry.

I've wondered about that. LDS is prevalent in that area, so some of that may go over better than it would if the trial were held elsewhere.

A 2021 census put Madison Co as the second highest in LDS in the country at 68%. Just a guess, but I'd say there could be a few on the jury anyway.

Does anyone know if religion was a jury question? Or, would a question like that violate the Constitution? All speculation and MOO because I really don't know.
It was not. The question in relation to religion was along the lines of could you be fair with a defendant if their religion was different from yours.

Someone else might recall the exact question.

It does seem to me to open the door to religious persecution if the jurors were asked their religion. I don't think there is a reason an LDS person couldn't be fair, frankly.

MIO

I think Lori's competency issues also affected the trials being separated.
"raccoon" was euphemism/code for Tylee.
And this should be obvious to anyone with even a smattering of common sense who hears this story. Here's some math!

Last Tylee sighting September 8
+ raccoon text next day
+ Tylee body found in pet cemetery
- real raccoon corpse
=
Tylee was the "raccoon."​

Last edited:
To an extent but to say that normal people have "visions" isn't accurate. To say we have premonitions, or "promptings" would be much more common and accurate. And generally those are described as a strong gut feeling, a quiet feeling, a quiet whisper. Something along those lines. And it's not unique to LDS. A lot of the world describe it as following your gut.

Yes. If there are LDS on the jury, in my very LDS opinion, they would judge him harder for his garbage because he absolutely knew better and took our faith and purposely twisted it into something completely disgusting and perverted. CD and LV make me irrationally angry.
I think it depends on the mix of your congregation, too. I recall multiple people from my ward, some my own family, many not, talking earnestly about visions and prophetic dreams they had received. It was culturally considered pretty normal. (Source: Born in church, left when I came of age).

Do we know on what grounds Chad was allowed a separate trial?
CD waived his right to a speedy trial but LVD did not, so when new DNA evidence was presented about a year ago--a month before the trial was scheduled to start--LVD's trial had to go ahead without that evidence, while CD's attorneys stated they wouldn't be ready and wanted to push his back.

IMO he will put at least one of Chad and Tammy's children on the stand to defend Chad (if I had to choose, it would be Emma). They probably weren't equally close to Tammy and there's no point in repeating the exact same claim about Tammy four times. Also, symptoms of menopause could be seen as ill health. When Tammy visited her parents and sister two weeks before her death she seemed in excellent health. Her sister will likely testify to that.
Exactly. Then what does the juror believe? The person with little to gain by sending their in law to LWP or death ir the person who can save her father?

And she (or he, depending on the witness) will have to be crossed, and asked questions which will invite other persons to contradict, like coworkers of Tammy and and the Zumba instructor. Again, the jurors will probably ask themselves, being that someone is mistaken or lying, who was telling the truth? Chad's kids have much more to gain by deliberately deceiving or involuntarily being deluded.

I don't think it's going to fly. I think Prior was bluffing.

MOO

I think it depends on the mix of your congregation, too. I recall multiple people from my ward, some my own family, many not, talking earnestly about visions and prophetic dreams they had received. It was culturally considered pretty normal. (Source: Born in church, left when I came of age).
Perhaps. The belief is that it certainly can happen--look all throughout the old testament for those stories. But that generally it does not happen in that form. We believe God generally reserves those for his prophets. Chad is NOT one of those prophets!

I've wondered about that. LDS is prevalent in that area, so some of that may go over better than it would if the trial were held elsewhere.

A 2021 census put Madison Co as the second highest in LDS in the country at 68%. Just a guess, but I'd say there could be a few on the jury anyway.

Does anyone know if religion was a jury question? Or, would a question like that violate the Constitution? All speculation and MOO because I really don't know.
Potential jurors in both trials were questioned about their religious beliefs but I don't know if the defense and prosecution were permitted to come right out and ask them what their denomination is.

"One juror, who holds a bachelor's degree in religion, was asked if differing religious beliefs would affect the way they viewed the case. They said it would not."

Lori Vallow Murder Trial Jury Selection Hits Religion ...

Rolling Stone
https://www.rollingstone.com › culture › culture-news

Apr 3, 2023 — Lori Vallow Daybell murder trial jury selection begins with questions on religious beliefs and internet misinformation.

It was not. The question in relation to religion was along the lines of could you be fair with a defendant if their religion was different from yours.

Someone else might recall the exact question.

It does seem to me to open the door to religious persecution if the jurors were asked their religion. I don't think there is a reason an LDS person couldn't be fair, frankly.

MIO

Also, I think any LDS in the jury will be aware of fringy book clubs meeting and spooking themselves with end of times "real death and back" experiences and of the "I cant take out the trash because I am having a vision" ploy.
MOO they will see the killings for what they are, insurance/benefits murders.

MOO And besides the just plain evolving greed of CD and LVD, Tylee was completely used by LVD as a caretaker/mom for JJ. As Tylee got to leaving age what was LVD to do? it was Tylee that took care of JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay