Trial - Ross Harris #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The basic info was out there, but the trial has revealed just how extensive Ross's secret life was. His case definitely hasn't been improved by any part of the trial testimony, IMO.

I agree.

Also, if you look at any of Dr D's media interviews, he always speaks very fondly of his 'team' of former clients. They have created a PSA team, called Cars and Kids, or something like that, and they ALL work as advocates for this group. They go to schools/community centers to speak and educate the public about the dangers of FBS. They counsel other parents who were the 'victims' of FBS. They are frequently interview on tv/radio/press about their past ordeals with the trials and the grief from the tragedy, etc.

Dr D speaks very highly of this 'team' of FBS survivors. He always uses them as a frame of reference for others who may disbelieve the possibility it can be innocent. And he points out how GREAT these clients were in their lives as spouses, parents, workers, etc etc. And how amazing they are now in terms of how they are moving forward in their lives, with their spouses, families, bosses, etc.

So I really do not think he wanted to introduce Ross Harris into this little team of advocates. I think it may have harmed their credibility, jmo.

will the Defense have a Surrebuttal?

Rebuttal and Surrebuttal

If no motion is successful in terminating the trial, the trial will continue with the plaintiff’s rebuttal and the defendant’s surrebuttal. The purpose of the plaintiff’s rebuttal, as its name would imply, is to rebut the defendant’s case-in-chief. It is conducted in the same way as the cases-in-chief, as witnesses will testify and further exhibits may be entered. The purpose of the defendant’s surrebuttal is to rebut the plaintiff’s rebuttal, and is conducted in similar fashion http://nationalparalegal.edu/public...rchLitigation/TrialPractice/DefendantsCIF.asp

I don't agree that this was initiated by the DT. Why in the world would the DT substitute THE expert in hot car deaths with a man, Dr. Brewer, who got all of his information from THE expert? If the DT wanted only one memory expert due to time constraints, why not choose Dr. Diamond? It doesn't make any sense.

The DT never had any intention of Ross taking the stand. That was strongly hinted at in many of the pretrial hearings. If that was a condition of Dr. Diamond testifying, I would have hoped that the DT would have sorted that out before publicly claiming that Dr. Diamond was testifying.

ETA - Did Maddox Kilgore mention Dr. Diamond by name in his opening statement?

IMO the fact that Dr Diamond is not testifying speaks volumes. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to assume the worst but come on. It's Dr-freakin-Diamond. This is the one guy (aside from JRH himself) who could have explained to us misguided plebians how we are so WRONG that JRH intentionally left Cooper in the car.

Then he doesn't show up... and we're not supposed to assume it's because JRH doesn't fit ANY of the FBS cases Dr Diamond wrote about? I mean come on. This high profile trial is being livestreamed everywhere and he has an opportunity to further his theories and he doesn't show? It's a heck of a stretch to assume he's just at home with the chickenpox or something. His absence is glaring, IMO.

I agree.

Also, if you look at any of Dr D's media interviews, he always speaks very fondly of his 'team' of former clients. They have created a PSA team, called Cars and Kids, or something like that, and they ALL work as advocates for this group. They go to schools/community centers to speak and educate the public about the dangers of FBS. They counsel other parents who were the 'victims' of FBS. They are frequently interview on tv/radio/press about their past ordeals with the trials and the grief from the tragedy, etc.

Dr D speaks very highly of this 'team' of FBS survivors. He always uses them as a frame of reference for others who may disbelieve the possibility it can be innocent. And he points out how GREAT these clients were in their lives as spouses, parents, workers, etc etc. And how amazing they are now in terms of how they are moving forward in their lives, with their spouses, families, bosses, etc.

So I really do not think he wanted to introduce Ross Harris into this little team of advocates. I think it may have harmed their credibility, jmo.

Those survivor teams frequently show up in court to support other hot car death defendants. They haven't shown up for Ross.

Separate issue - I wonder who the witness was that was supposed to testify yesterday afternoon with 50 slides. I am also curious why the decision was presumably made during lunch to not have him testify.

I don't agree that this was initiated by the DT. Why in the world would the DT substitute THE expert in hot car deaths with a man, Dr. Brewer, who got all of his information from THE expert? If the DT wanted only one memory expert due to time constraints, why not choose Dr. Diamond? It doesn't make any sense.

The DT never had any intention of Ross taking the stand. That was strongly hinted at in many of the pretrial hearings. If that was a condition of Dr. Diamond testifying, I would have hoped that the DT would have sorted that out before publicly claiming that Dr. Diamond was testifying.

Because the DT didn't NEED an expert in hot car deaths , but they did need an expert witness with scientific credentials to make the case forgetting was scientifically POSSIBLE. Reasonable doubt is their only obligation and goal.

If you analyze Boring's cross with an eye towards strategy, what did he go straight after and hard? Brewer's contention this case was not unique, just one more tragic hot car death (inference- accidental).

You saw where Boring went next. Imagine him having Diamond on cross, getting him to concede every last thing that made this case different.

It's pure speculation, but maybe Kilgore wasn't willing to take that chance. Or didn't feel he needed to...

(And, I doubt the DT ever thought it wise for RH to take the stand, but I doubt equally that any final decision was made until very very recently.

WOWZERS---just found an article by Dr Diamond where he speaks about the Ross Harris case:

http://www.kidsandcars.org/files/2014/08/2014-06-30-hln-drdiamond-heat.pdf

On June 18, Justin Ross Harris had breakfast at Chick-fil-A with his 22-month-old son Cooper. Harris claims he buckled him into his car seat, and in the half-mile drive to work, forgot Cooper was in the car. On that sweltering summer day in Atlanta, Cooper spent the entire day in the car, ultimately dying of heatstroke. At the end of his work day, onlookers noticed Harris’ hysterical cries as he discovered his son’s lifeless body, according to CNN.

snipped...

The Atlanta case fits the FBS pattern in that the father appears to have been following a well-traveled route, which inconsistently included taking Cooper to daycare. But it appears to have three disturbing components that may make it difficult for people to accept that this was an unintentional act of flawed memory.
First, Harris had breakfast with Cooper only a half mile from his workplace. How can a father forget his son is in the car in only a half-mile drive? Consider a man who places a cup of soda on the roof of the car and then searches his pockets for the keys. His basal ganglia is immediately activated upon finding the keys; he gets in the car and drives off, having completely lost awareness of the cup on the roof. The comparison of a forgotten child to a cup of soda may offend our sensibilities, but the cases of FBS I’ve studied indicate that the brain processes involved in forgotten children and material objects are disturbingly similar. It appears that the memory of the child in the car is blocked instantly and that memory can be suppressed for an entire day.
Second, court documents point out that Harris returned to his car around lunchtime, while Cooper was still inside. People may wonder how Harris could return to the car during the day and not notice his son. In the dozens of FBS cases I’ve researched, the parents who left their children in their cars had absolute certainty that their children were safe at home or with the daycare provider. Again, objective science can be disturbing, but there would have been no reason for Harris to check for his son in the car.

snipped ...
A third factor is unique to this case and perhaps what people find most disturbing: According to police
documents, Harris and his wife ran an Internet search on how long an animal can survive in a hot car, a day before he forgot his son in his car. Only Harris knows if the Internet search he conducted involved a conscious decision on his part to leave his son in the car, or was just a cruel coincidence.

I agree.

BBM. I think this is the most logical explanation.

Since JRH himself said he wanted to be an advocate (did he know about Dr Diamond before this?) I wonder how he reacted when Dr Diamond did not want to show.

I dont think so. **disclaimer I not gonna go listen again right now lol. So I could be wrong ;)

Didn't someone say earlier that if a defendant doesn't take the stand then Dr. Diamond won't testify in their defense?

I don't know....I think it may depend on how they tackle the evidence, which thread they choose to pull first. I don't envy them one little bit. I have a feeling their deliberations are going to be emotional & brutal, if they went in with open minds anyway, which I trust (or hope, at least) they did.

I think it's going to go like this: "Ok everyone, let's take an initial vote to see where we all stand." Pause. Votes in. "Well, ok then, we've got guilty on all counts times 12. Let's play a game to kill some time so it at least appears we had to discuss it for a while..."

Lol. I know it won't be exactly like that but I think he's going to be convicted on the malice murder charge. The state has proven he was a man who wanted a different life than the one he had, and was already living that other life to the detriment of his marriage, his career, and his finances. Many people testified that he had an image he wanted to project of being the best and the smartest. His "love" for Cooper and being a "great dad" was all just part of his facade.

OT

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 19s20 seconds ago
#vandytrial - Brandon Vandenburg sentenced to 17 years.

Those survivor teams frequently show up in court to support other hot car death defendants. They haven't shown up for Ross.

Separate issue - I wonder who the witness was that was supposed to testify yesterday afternoon with 50 slides. I am also curious why the decision was presumably made during lunch to not have him testify.

BBM. Good catch, I did not know that!

What happened to the 50 slides witness? Was that Dr. D?

Because the DT didn't NEED an expert in hot car deaths , but they did need an expert witness with scientific credentials to make the case forgetting was scientifically POSSIBLE. Reasonable doubt is their only obligation and goal.

If you analyze Boring's cross with an eye towards strategy, what did he go straight after and hard? Brewer's contention this case was not unique, just one more tragic hot car death (inference- accidental).

You saw where Boring went next. Imagine him having Diamond on cross, getting him to concede every last thing that made this case different.

It's pure speculation, but maybe Kilgore wasn't willing to take that chance. Or didn't feel he needed to...

(And, I doubt the DT ever thought it wise for RH to take the stand, but I doubt equally that any final decision was made until very very recently.

That's all possible.

It's interesting that last night a main discussion point was that Dr. Brewer did a wonderful job laying the groundwork for Dr. Diamond's testimony. He wasn't great as a standalone witness, but he was amazing in clearing the way for Dr. Diamond. Additionally, there were numerous comments from various posters how it would be disastrous if Dr. Diamond didn't testify.

Now that it is a fact that Dr. Diamond isn't showing there are a number of plausible and reasonable explanations. I am just surprised that I did not see the same explanations last night. If Dr. Diamond was not needed, where were those opinions last night?

My opinion only - Dr. Diamond's appearance is disastrous to the defense team.

11Alive thinks there is info in Dr D's notes that they don't want coming out regarding JRH's knowledge about hot car deaths.

MORE rampant prejudicial rumor mongering by the media? Haven't they already done enough damage in this case ?

You are right. They do travel to other trials in support of other parents on trial. And do media interviews in support of those defendants etc. And NONE have shown up in this high profile trial.

Now I am wondering if MAYBE it was his former clients who asked Dr D not to testify.

I am really puzzled about Dr Diamond not testifying. As late as August 2016, the Court was making rulings about his testimony.

((Paper doll)). I don't think I have agreed with a single thing you've posted about this trial, but I do think you rock . ;) ;)

LOL, Hope4More :blowkiss: You ROCK, too.. really! Like me, you also make sense.. lol so we have two opposites on who makes the most sense.. hum? lol ;) :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo