TRIAL Week One - Ross Harris 3 October 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question. Harris wasn't on his phone in those 5 or so minutes between Chick breakfast and work, and there is no indication he was driving recklessly in any way during that trip. So....no physical display of wanton or reckless disregard for Cooper or his safety or his well being.

Let's say Harris "forgot" Cooper was in the car by the time he reached the intersection. Forgot, as in- went straight rather than turning because he didn't remember at that moment Cooper was still in the car.

Does it matter WHY Harris didn't remember/forgot? If he forgot because something else was on his mind, does it matter what he was thinking about? And if so, why?

There is no way of knowing what another person is thinking.

FWIW, I personally think he was thinking about how to check into work without anyone noticing he was late....but what the heck does it matter what I think he was thinking. All I know is he left his kid in the car. The child died because his dad forgot about him. That's bad enough - whether he was thinking about his weiner instead of his child doesn't matter to me.

His sexting indicates to me immaturity and lack of focus on his career and family, but it doesn't make the crime better or worse because he got off on hooking up with chicks on the cell phone.

jmo

RH isn't a teenager though and the situations are completely different. A reasonable adult who was responsible for the situation that LE was called to respond to should be willing to cooperate IMO

Plus he denied having called anyone, yet he was on the phone and so involved in trying to make whatever call he was making that he wouldn't give the cops his attention at all.

Sorry, I don't see how this compares to walking into a room and forgetting why your there.

I have dogs and I am supremely aware at all times when I have a DOG in the car. I know this happens by accident sometimes, but it will never make sense to me that it does. But in this case, there are just too many things that make no sense. I cannot forget the CSI episode where a parent did this intentionally. I have seen that episode more than once, I wonder if he saw it too.

I agree chlban, I have dogs too and when they travel with me, I'm always aware they are there. I have a cage in the back seat for them and the reason I know they are there is because I wanted them with me. I don't forget them even if I'm distracted by other things. I'm always aware of my loved ones including my dogs. No excuse for RH to forget his son within less than a minute. He took time to put him in the car seat blah blah blah. I know, I'm repeating myself again :tantrum:

It does though, it goes to show that he had reason to not want to parent Cooper any longer. But only if its true.

Making the Jury aware of the lewd content of every text message is not necessary though.

Cooper's head would have been visible. He was too long for the seat and his head stuck out above the seat. When they present pics of the re-creation with a Cooper-size dummy it's going to be super obvious.

I hope they include a recreation of where Cooper's head could have been if he had fallen asleep and slumped down in his seat.

Comfort break until 10:25am

I have to say I love the term "comfort break." Sounds like something my sweet grandma would say she needed instead of saying she had to use the bathroom. ;)

I am not persuaded by the car seat pictures. The car seat wouldn't be visible when looking at the road, nor do I think it is visible in peripheral vision. Does anybody know if his vehicle had back up cams? I do, and, although I am not supposed to rely on them alone, I do a lot of the time.

I really want him to be guilty, if it would mean justice for Cooper. But I am not convinced.

For full disclosure - I have "forgotten" my child in a car. I was staying at a hotel in an unfamiliar area, driving a rental vehicle. The hotel did not have a lot of parking, but what it did have was full. I was trying to find alternate parking or street parking, and was distracted and annoyed because there was not much, streets were all one way, etc. When I finally found parking, I got out, tried to orientate myself, and started walking back toward the hotel. I have three children; my husband had two and I had the baby with me. I got maybe 25 feet when I remembered, and ran back to the car. I do believe it happens to loving and careful parents. I don't think my story would have ended in tragedy, as my husband and I were texting constantly and checking in and I would have been cued in shortly as we were meeting up. We weren't at work, but on a vacation and so our time was devoted to the kids and they were constantly on our mind. But I can see how being distracted can cause this lapse and it is very frightening. Since then, I would put my purse in the back seat, always.

His car did not have back up cams.

RH isn't a teenager though and the situations are completely different. A reasonable adult who was responsible for the situation that LE was called to respond to should be willing to cooperate IMO

I think the birthdate shown for JH was in the year 1980, making him thirty four years old at the time of Cooper's death.

Putting that aside, he's shown that he's capable of holding down a steady job, works in a field that requires brains, demonstrated that he can drop his son off at day care on a regular basis, smart enough to google pets in hot cars only days before Cooper was left in a car to bake to death. Presumably he carried on his so-called double life for months or even years without putting Cooper in danger at all. There is no reason to believe he's incapable of handling his life's responsibilities. I think it comes down to his own admission that he simply doesn't have a conscience. "Don't you have a conscience?" "Nope." His words.

There is no way of knowing what another person is thinking.

FWIW, I personally think he was thinking about how to check into work without anyone noticing he was late....but what the heck does it matter what I think he was thinking. All I know is he left his kid in the car. The child died because his dad forgot about him. That's bad enough - whether he was thinking about his weiner instead of his child doesn't matter to me.

His sexting indicates to me immaturity and lack of focus on his career and family, but it doesn't make the crime better or worse because he got off on hooking up with chicks on the cell phone.

jmo

I asked because of your assertion that Harris forgot him for "selfish" reasons, and that his selfishness , if I understand correctly, makes him criminally negligent.

We agree that no one can know what Harris was thinking at that intersection. We only know that Harris was not on his phone. Which makes the sexting altogether irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of what actually happened that day.

The only relevance it has goes to motive- (unsupported) , IMO. Doesn't matter what caused Harris to "forget" or to be "distracted."

I hope they include a recreation of where Cooper's head could have been if he had fallen asleep and slumped down in his seat.

You bring up a good point. It will be interesting to see if this is addressed during the 3D recreation video.

What kind of evidence do you need? I'm curious. I agree that there are times one can forget something or why they came into the room, however at some point they remember and it's usually within a few minutes because your mind is on why you came into the room therefore you think. I do not for one second believe he simply forgot Cooper. He didn't forget his coffee or anything else he had to bring into work.

I am just saying it is possible. People do it, although I cannot imagine forgetting myself. I think they are going to need show that his head was above the edge of the car seat to prove it for me.

I am not persuaded by the car seat pictures. The car seat wouldn't be visible when looking at the road, nor do I think it is visible in peripheral vision. Does anybody know if his vehicle had back up cams? I do, and, although I am not supposed to rely on them alone, I do a lot of the time.

I really want him to be guilty, if it would mean justice for Cooper. But I am not convinced.

For full disclosure - I have "forgotten" my child in a car. I was staying at a hotel in an unfamiliar area, driving a rental vehicle. The hotel did not have a lot of parking, but what it did have was full. I was trying to find alternate parking or street parking, and was distracted and annoyed because there was not much, streets were all one way, etc. When I finally found parking, I got out, tried to orientate myself, and started walking back toward the hotel. I have three children; my husband had two and I had the baby with me. I got maybe 25 feet when I remembered, and ran back to the car. I do believe it happens to loving and careful parents. I don't think my story would have ended in tragedy, as my husband and I were texting constantly and checking in and I would have been cued in shortly as we were meeting up. We weren't at work, but on a vacation and so our time was devoted to the kids and they were constantly on our mind. But I can see how being distracted can cause this lapse and it is very frightening. Since then, I would put my purse in the back seat, always.

Thank you for your honesty and above all, humility. We all make mistakes even seemingly stupid, drastic and terrible ones that hurt others. It's part of being human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree the police could see the child has been dead for some time, but in recent terms, he had just lost his child that day. True, the police did not know at that point whether there was foul play and needed to deal with him. But swearing back at him isn't professional or, I'm sure, advised when dealing with an emotive person.

How was the father interfering with them dealing with the victim?

IIRC, LE had asked him to get off the phone to answer questions a few times and he ignored them. I can see them getting angry at his refusal (and then cussing the people who were there to help that he DIDN'T call). As others have stated, they had a suspicious scene and witnesses that initially stated he didn't help, he just got on his phone.

I agree chlban, I have dogs too and when they travel with me, I'm always aware they are there. I have a cage in the back seat for them and the reason I know they are there is because I wanted them with me. I don't forget them even if I'm distracted by other things. I'm always aware of my loved ones including my dogs. No excuse for RH to forget his son within less than a minute. He took time to put him in the car seat blah blah blah. I know, I'm repeating myself again :tantrum:

I have dogs and shamefully I have forgot them. We have an SUV and our dogs like to sit in the 3rd row of seat.

What kind of evidence do you need? I'm curious. I agree that there are times one can forget something or why they came into the room, however at some point they remember and it's usually within a few minutes because your mind is on why you came into the room therefore you think. I do not for one second believe he simply forgot Cooper. He didn't forget his coffee or anything else he had to bring into work.

So would you consider EVERY parent that left their child in their car that resulted in death to be guilty of intentional murder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked because of your assertion that Harris forgot him for "selfish" reasons, and that his selfishness , if I understand correctly, makes him criminally negligent.

We agree that no one can know what Harris was thinking at that intersection. We only know that Harris was not on his phone. Which makes the sexting altogether irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of what actually happened that day. The only relevance it has goes to motive--unsupported, IMO, and having nothing to do with "forgetting" or being "distracted."

I do think Ross is very selfish.

I think he is responsible for killing his child. I do not, however, think he intended to kill his child.

I think he forgot Cooper AFTER he went into his office. I think he meant to go back to the car quickly, after making an appearance at work, and bring Cooper to daycare. But he was wrapped up in his own world (which I do think revolved around his sexting) and forgot his child.

I think he is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. Sexting is only part of that. Even without sexting, I think the guy is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. I think he wanted to play all day rather than behave like a grown up.

jmopinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Philip A. Holloway ‏@PhilHollowayEsq 16m16 minutes ago Marietta, GA

#RossHarris jury will see the car, seat & life size mannequin of Cooper-will they believe he didn't see him in #HotCarDeath trial?

We agree that no one can know what Harris was thinking at that intersection. We only know that Harris was not on his phone. Which makes the sexting altogether irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of what actually happened that day.

The only relevance it has goes to motive- (unsupported) , IMO. Doesn't matter what caused Harris to "forget" or to be "distracted."

Cooper's death was not instanteous. Ross should be accountable for his actions for every second that Cooper was in the car baking to death. Ross was texting during the time period he was at the office but Cooper was still alive. Aside from leaving Cooper in the car, Ross made many poor decisions that day. Since Ross was texting and sexting while Cooper was dying a painful death, each and every text should be admissable. Ross had the opportunity to recover Cooper for an extended period of time, but he did not.

We may not know what Ross was thinking, but we KNOW what he was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graham_Skeeter