TURKEY - George Smith, 26, missing from cruise ship, July 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When Jean Scavone starts talking about the son who vanished from a cruise ship six years ago, her mind starts running through all the things that could have happened to him and then her heart begins to race.

At that moment the 56-year-old Meriden school counselor has to stop for a moment to calm down.

"Why on a cruise ship should anybody die?" Scavone asked. "That's ridiculous."

The circumstances of his disappearance seem all too familiar to Scavone, who tracks media accounts of missing people aboard cruise ships and finds them disturbingly similar.

"It's basically all the same story," she said. "They don't know what happened to them. They just vanished."
http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/l...,999438.story?coll=green-news-local-headlines

I saw this on the news yesterday and it was the first time I heard about this man missing on his honeymoom. He was a nice looking man, too..

I wish I knew more about this story. I can't really say I suspect the wife as of yet, I do believe she probably went to the gym.. I go even if I was out drinking the night before. But to not notice your husband missing when you wake up???? well, that one is another story. I would notice if my husband wasn't around... I also woudn't think that a cruise ship would be that easy to fall overboard on. I would think they would make it hard to do for public safety..

from the article i think it is safe to say there is enough blood to indicate foul play and i sure think the cruise line dropped the ball big time to not look into this any sooner than they did!!!

I can't say that I would find it odd to wake up and my husband not be in the bed or even the room. He would say the same about me. Even on our honeymoon. He would go out to get a coke or have a smoke by himself and I would do likewise. So I am not sure I would assume the wife has murdered him and dumped his body overboard. I would like to know more.

I have, however, decided that I will never take a cruise.

MHO, only.

A prosecutor investigating the disappearance of a U.S. citizen from his Mediterranean honeymoon cruise said he had asked George Smith's family to provide blood samples to compare with blood stains found aboard the ship.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity. Civil servants in Turkey are rarely allowed to speak on the record.

The prosecutor said there were blood stains on the ship running from the balcony of Smith's cabin to the life boats, as well as a hand print at the side of the ship. The family's blood samples would help investigators establish whether the blood stains came from Smith, he said.

The prosecutor said he was waiting for the blood samples to be able to continue with the investigation.

A Foreign Ministry official on Tuesday told the Associated Press that Turkish officials had handed over Smith's file to the U.S. Embassy, effectively turning over the investigation to the U.S. authorities.

The prosecutor however, said that his office would continue with the investigation.

He said several passengers had been questioned - but no one, included Smith's wife, was suspected of any foul play.

He said Smith's wife was allowed to leave Turkey, but was helping with the investigation. "She's at a place where we can reach her easily," he said.
http://www.courant.com/news/local/h...,3961116.story?coll=hc-big-headlines-breaking

tennessee said:
I can't say that I would find it odd to wake up and my husband not be in the bed or even the room. He would say the same about me. Even on our honeymoon. He would go out to get a coke or have a smoke by himself and I would do likewise. So I am not sure I would assume the wife has murdered him and dumped his body overboard. I would like to know more.

I have, however, decided that I will never take a cruise.

MHO, only.
I like your thinking, Tennessee. I too would wake up and not think too much if he were having a smoke, but I'd expect he would have been right back. I mean, afterall, it is their honeymoon and wouldn't they want to have some good old naked fun (yikes...I hope that's allowed to say...if not, sorry) on their honeymoon?

My hubby and I were together quite a few years before the honeymoon but we sure made time for the 'initiation' into married life...even though it'd been done many times before.
He's been dead now for 7 years (died at the young age of 39) but, if I woke up this morning and he wasn't there.....you can bet your booty I'd realize it pronto and go find him......:eek:

Any updates on this case??? Where's the wife???? Unless the hubby was totally out of it, I don't see how a woman could overpower a man and toss him over a 5' balcony??? I think there might possibly be someone else involved. I definitely think looking into the passenger list might be of worth - especially any single men, maybe traveling alone - from the same area?

poco said:
Any updates on this case??? Where's the wife???? Unless the hubby was totally out of it, I don't see how a woman could overpower a man and toss him over a 5' balcony??? I think there might possibly be someone else involved. I definitely think looking into the passenger list might be of worth - especially any single men, maybe traveling alone - from the same area?
I thought it was said that the wifes X boyfriend was on the cruise? Maybe I was wrong but I thought I read that.

Mygirlsadie said:
I thought it was said that the wifes X boyfriend was on the cruise? Maybe I was wrong but I thought I read that.

Well, duh - if you find more, post it. Thanks!

YellowDog said:
If the seas were rough that night, he could have gone out on the balcony, fallen and slipped through the rails easily. I also think the dry heaves is a strong possibility. When people are that sick from drinking, their equilibrium is way off.
But, there was blood in the cabin. So if he fell overboard, then why the blood in his room? Maybe the bride didn't spend the night in their own room that night, something to think about, maybe...:waitasec: Therefore, is why she said, she didn't see her husband that morning. Maybe she was lying! JMO

lilpony said:
But, there was blood in the cabin. So if he fell overboard, then why the blood in his room? Maybe the bride didn't spend the night in their own room that night, something to think about, maybe...:waitasec: Therefore, is why she said, she didn't see her husband that morning. Maybe she was lying! JMO

From what I remember reading a steward found blood on the bed when he went in to clean the room and change the bedding. How can there be blood on your bed and you be unaware of it being there? Something must have happened in the bed.

If the woman with the daughters heard a scream in the night I would guess it was the wife. If she did scream then she knows what happened. From reading about the blood and how it went down the awning to the end of it....the hand print on the side of the boat...it sounds like the man slid down the awning but was trying to get ahold of something to hang onto.

Sounds like they really botched the investigation on the ship. You would think investigators would have been talking to people on the floor the couple were on and the floors above them and below them. I thought the police investigated...not an attorney for the ship. They were just trying to cover their butts.

I hope they find out what happened to this man. It could have been an accident but if it wasn't I hope it is found out.

Any new reports on this case?

I love to cruise, and this case is baffling.

I hate to say this but I think the blushing new bride knows exactly what happened to her groom. :(

Bobbisangel said:
From what I remember reading a steward found blood on the bed when he went in to clean the room and change the bedding. How can there be blood on your bed and you be unaware of it being there? Something must have happened in the bed.

If the woman with the daughters heard a scream in the night I would guess it was the wife. If she did scream then she knows what happened. From reading about the blood and how it went down the awning to the end of it....the hand print on the side of the boat...it sounds like the man slid down the awning but was trying to get ahold of something to hang onto.

Sounds like they really botched the investigation on the ship. You would think investigators would have been talking to people on the floor the couple were on and the floors above them and below them. I thought the police investigated...not an attorney for the ship. They were just trying to cover their butts.

I hope they find out what happened to this man. It could have been an accident but if it wasn't I hope it is found out.
What time in the morning did the people hear a scream, Do you know? Like you said, he might have tried grabbing onto something, to prevent himself from going overboard. How scary would that be, falling off a ship, into the open sea...:eek:

englishleigh said:
I hate to say this but I think the blushing new bride knows exactly what happened to her groom. :(
I think she knows exactly what happened to her husband as well. Geez, they were newly married, good grief. There must have been a fight, between bride, and other members. Poor guy, falling off a cruise ship, in the middle of the ocean, or probably the right word being thrown off. Scary thought.

I heard the ex rumor on Fox when they had a Current Affair reporter on. I don't get A Current Affair show in my area and have not heard anymore about the ex.

Mygirlsadie said:

lilpony said:
What time in the morning did the people hear a scream, Do you know? Like you said, he might have tried grabbing onto something, to prevent himself from going overboard. How scary would that be, falling off a ship, into the open sea...:eek:
If he just accidently fell, what would explain the blood in the cabin? And why didn't the blushing bride hear him scream?

Amster said:
If he just accidently fell, what would explain the blood in the cabin? And why didn't the blushing bride hear him scream?
Yes, very strange indeed. Something fishy happened here. Sometimes when alcohol is involved, fights insue, jealousy, tempers flare. Why can't people just be happy:D If I am bettin woman, the bride knows what happened. If it was some kind of accident(which I doubt) it would have been reported at the time it happened. Instead the bride wakes up and goes to work out, and it doesn't seem strange husband is nowhere in sight...:waitasec: Also wouldn't she have noticed blood in cabin, weird..:confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMpavashootski
Back