TURKEY - George Smith, 26, missing from cruise ship, July 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's another site that advocates for victims on cruises.

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

They condemn RC alcohol policy:

ICV strongly condemns Royal Caribbean for promoting the consumption of alcohol on their ships by offering unlimited drinks for one price. Compounding this issue and making the situation even more dangerous is the fact that there are no independent police on any of these ships.
http://internationalcruisevictims.activeboard.com/t44654697/icv-press-release-august-25-2011/

So far in 2011, 17 persons have gone overboard on cruise ships as reported by Ross Klein. That means that 61 passengers and crew members have gone overboard just in the last 2 ½ years.....We are not dealing with lost baggage, we are dealing with lost children and no answers....

http://internationalcruisevictims.activeboard.com/t45223557/icv-update-september-26-2011/

i have only been on one cruise and that was many years ago, when i got out of college. short bahamas cruise...it basically was one drunken binge....too much alcohol, guards down, lots of strangers you befriend over a black jack game or dinner,.....i think young people are very much at risk....

Ive been on 4 of them. I hate to admit this, but on my first one, it was a group cruise and we had a guy with us who had cannibas. So I didn't want to go through the security scans with him. He had it in a backpack.

So I put a cruise tag with his room number on the backpack. We went around to where they load the bags onto the ship. I asked what happened to those bags. The loader said they get put on the ship. I asked if they went through any kind of scans or searches. he said they didn't. So I handed him the bag. It showed up at the guy's room WITH all the contents intact.

Can you believe that? My dumb butt should have been reported to security for asking those questions and handing over that bag.There could have been a gun in that bag, anything. They obviously didn't even feel the need to check it, in light of the strange questions I asked.

I was so mad when that guy had that bag. It was my friend's boyfriend and I was so mad because I just knew he was gonna get caught with it and we'd be thrown off at the next port. His entire hallway smelled like weed for the WHOLE CRUISE. No one said a word. My girlfriend and I were in a cabin and he was in a cabin with his three friends.

Anyways, that was back in 1998. Since then, on other cruises, I've seen really rough waters to where all the water in the kiddie pool was literally splashed completely out of the pool. I was on deck. It was 3am or so. No one else was out there. I was with my boyfriend. I could have shoved him off. He'd better be glad I loved him!

After readong about all this, the next cruise I take, I'm definitely going to find out where the cruise police are and what they do, cause I had no idea all these rapes and disappearances etc could be going on. Just naive, I guess.

snipped...

Anyways, that was back in 1998. Since then, on other cruises, I've seen really rough waters to where all the water in the kiddie pool was literally splashed completely out of the pool. I was on deck. It was 3am or so. No one else was out there. I was with my boyfriend. I could have shoved him off. He'd better be glad I loved him!

snipped...

this is EXACTLY why i'd never go on one with my wife. i'd rather not put her shoving me over the railing to depend on how much she liked me that day. :)

Can you imagine, though, how many times it must have happened over the centuries with all the ships that sailed before we could drive or fly?

George Smith Mystery Continues

[snip]

Dateline now claims it has new information and new pictures from the cruise, and is focusing on three Russian-born American citizens who lived in Brooklyn, New York, at the time of the event.

In fact, the entire story is already extensively documented, and there are several seedy and embarrassing elements, especially surrounding the bride, Jennifer Hagel-Smith (now remarried). Jennifer was "missing" during the entire night when George Smith obviously went overboard from the balcony of his cabin in the Aegean Sea.

This is one case that has never left my mind. Hopefully George's family and friends will finally have some answers. I wonder if it's the men that his bride always suspected?

Breakthrough in cold case: FBI probe 'incriminating video' of guests on cruise ship where groom fell overboard to his death on honeymoon seven years ago

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...overboard-honeymoon-cruise.html#ixzz1wELQi6X6

I never followed this case on WS. I am watching ND and she is interviewing George's sister. I get the impression that the family blames George's wife (I do not believe she had anything to do with it). Does anyone know if this is the case?

I didnt follow this on websleuths before, but I did follow it a bit in the news. I dont have time to read through all the posts here. I always suspected that the wife was only indirectly involved. I suspected that the group of guys saw the couple getting drunk and maybe having a spat and decided to take advantage. I think their motive was only to get them drunk, seperate them and have sex with Jennifer. After getting George to the cabin he became upset, maybe suspected Jennifer was with another man, there was a fight perhaps and they stabbed him and threw him over. I dont know if the evidence supports all of that, but that is what I always suspected. I have been on cruises, and can attest that on 2 of the cruises there were clearly groups of guys that were hitting on women, even those that were married. It really was a bit unnerving because there is of course no police out there.

I'm not sure that it was about Jennifer. I think it was about the money George had in his safe. I think it was him bragging about the money and winning at gambling on the ship. I think they drugged jennifer and George so they could get the money out the safe. I think Jennifer going off mad could have been part of the plot, but she might have done that coincidentally. I believe George got irate in the cabin while they were trying to get him to open the safe or something--and he was coming out of his drugged haze, and they had to fight him and wound up knocking him over the rail.

Does anyone know if anything happened with the "incriminating video" I remember hearing about it on the news last summer and then nothing since

"About the videotape, CBS correspondent John Miller says, "You've got these men joking about George's death, very callous and at one point incriminating."
"The evidence is huge," chimes in Bree Smith, George's sister.
The show will air at 10 p.m. Saturday on CBS."

Just finished watching the 48 hours recap of this story. I remember this story touching me, when it first happened. I feel so horrible for the Smith family. I truly hope they are able to solve this mystery, before they leave this earth.

I'm so glad 48 hours revisited this story, as I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

I believe the three Russians, and the American guy, are guilty as hell and hope the New York FBI doesn't drop the ball on this one.

After watching the story on TV tonight I can't imagine anyone believing anything other then George was murdered by those men he was drinking with in an attempt to rob him off his watch and the money he was bragging about being stashed in his room. So sad that killers walk around free men and his family has no justice.

The incriminating video showed the guys that befriended George on the ship filming themselves laughing and joking about George going "parachuting" off the ship, making jokes about his death and at the end, one of the guys turned the camera to himself and said "See, told you I was gangster!".

The two small bloodstains on George's bed near his pillow were consistent with his watch getting caught on his skin. This is what probably woke him up and after he got into a scuffle he was taken to the balcony and thrown overboard. All of the men were drunk with George being the drunkest. Witness saw only three men leave the room even though there were four that went in. The plan was to rob George's watch after they put him in bed and steal money from his safe. It was a botched robbery attempt.

The man suspected of killing George is doing time for trafficking.

To me, after reflecting upin it, it becomes obvious.

Who really wants to help a stranger _ AS A GROUP _ to his cabin - this guy has a hot wife, and bragged about big money. Even on the security camera he comes across as an arrogant prick.

There is one reason why they went back ther with him.

The secret to this is as follows: There are certain ppl who, when they get drunk, they turn into different people - retarded, inebriated ppl. Sounds to me like George was completely belligerent - and the plan was for them to get access to his room - take the cash - and then since george was so drunk - there would be no suspocion if alot of money was missing.

So it looks like "gangsta" Greg (in jail now, figures) stayed back and after George hit the sack- Greg rifled thru the cabin lokking for valuables - the risk of the blonde coming back was too big if all of them were there.

So maybe he goes for the watch - and then george becomes copnfrontational. and greg just runs into him - not that hard to knock over a drunken idiot. George goes over - cracks hjis head - and slowly slides off the boat. Kind of ****ed up they dont have a speedboat that can go back and search - i mean,. the cruise line paid out a million bux youd figure thjey would have a bpoat that casn go back, get the body for answers.

So that is it.

Greg did it. FBI has the video - unsure what the hell they doing with it. They should solve this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back