Still Missing Turkey - Jamal Khashoggi, 59, Washington Post columnist, Istanbul, 3 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some measure of justice although part of me thinks those sentenced were ordered to kill jk under threat of their own deaths. In any event this has further proved the importance to me of never giving up the fight for justice. Rip Jamal

Edit... Can't seem to attach BBC link 5 sentenced to death

Last edited:
Saudi Arabia sentences five to death for murder of Jamal Khashoggi
Former royal adviser Saud al-Qahtani was investigated but released without being charged

3000.jpg

Jamal Khashoggi
Five men have been sentenced to death and another three face 24 years in prison for their roles in the gruesome murder of the dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last year, the Saudi public prosecutor’s office has said.

All 11 people on trial were found guilty of the killing, which triggered the kingdom’s biggest diplomatic crisis since the 9/11 attacks as world leaders and business executives sought to distance themselves from Riyadh.

However, Saudi state television also reported the Saudi attorney general’s investigation showed that the crown prince Mohammed bin Salman’s former top adviser, Saud al-Qahtani, had no proven involvement in the killing, after being investigated and released without charge.

Al-Qahtani has been sanctioned by the US for his alleged role in the operation.

The Guardian

Do you think that the world forgot about Khashoggi's murder?

That we are talking about this case means a lot. It means we did not forget this crime. The governments around the world couldn't punish those responsible. But we are working on it and seeking justice. I have hope. We don't have a chance to forget this crime. If Jamal was still alive, he'd be happy to see what is happening.

It's been two years since your fiance was killed. You are seeking justice ever since. How do you feel today?

I can't say I was planning to do what I'm doing right now. Sometimes life takes you to places that you weren’t planning to go to. I wasn't planning to seek justice for Jamal for two years. But what I'm doing ever since October 2, 2018, is not because of my trauma, not only because of justice for Jamal but because of all of us.

I am also seeking justice in the United States, in Turkey and around the world. And it was necessary to do it in the United States because Jamal was living in the US. And I have a right to file a case against the killers. But was I planning to become a fighter? No, I wasn’t. I am doing what I feel. And I feel a very big pain in my heart. I want to respect myself as a person. But I wouldn’t be able to find this respect if I didn’t do anything.
Khashoggi fiancee: 'Do not forget what happened to Jamal' | DW | 20.11.2020

Exposing the truth of Jamal Khashoggi's murder - CNN Video

*We haven’t forgotten about you Jamal. ❤️

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/worl...ince-served-with-lawsuit-accusing-him-of-kidn

Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi crown prince ‘served with lawsuit’ accusing him of kidnap and assassination
Andrew Buncombe 2 hrs ago

Lawyers for the fiancee of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi say they have served the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman with a legal complaint – allowing proceedings against the Saudi royal to proceed.

Last year, Hatice Cengiz, who was poised to marry the writer and activist, and members of a non-profit group the Saudi journalist established in Washington DC, filed a lawsuit against the 35-year-old prince, commonly known as MBS, accusing him and others of the kidnap, drugging, torture, and assassination of the US resident.
This an important moment. The lawyers for the crown prince have appeared in court and that means the case can now proceed,” Faisal Gill, managing partner of the Gill Law Firm, and one of the lawyers representing Ms Cengiz and Dawn, told The Independent.

Now, lawyers say that using an unusual combination of WhatsApp messaging, express mail to the Saudi authorities, publication in TheNew York Times international edition and Al-Quds Al-Arabi, and by giving notice to MBS’s lawyers of record in the US, they have been able to serve the complaint.

Last edited:
Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi crown prince ‘served with lawsuit’ accusing him of kidnap and assassination (msn.com)
During his campaign for the White House, Joe Biden claimed he would pursue MBS and Saudi Arabia over the killing of Khashoggi, who had entered the Turkish consulate to get a visa to travel to Saudi Arabia to get married.

At one point he said he would make them “pay the price, and make them in fact the pariah that they are”.
Mr Biden also defended his actions, telling ABC News he was the “guy that released the report”, unlike his predecessor, Donald Trump, who refused to do so.
The civil lawsuit, which names almost two-dozen Saudi officials along with MBS, seeks relief under the Alien Tort Claims Act, and the Torture Victim Protection Act.

“This lawsuit seeks not only to hold MBS and other senior Saudi Arabian officials accountable for Jamal’s murder, but also to put the Saudi government and other abusive governments on notice that they will pay a price for such extrajudicial killings of journalists and activists,” said Mr Gill.

A senior Saudi official issued what was perceived to be a death threat against the independent United Nations investigator, Agnès Callamard, after her investigation into the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

In an interview with the Guardian, the outgoing special rapporteur for extrajudicial killings said that a UN colleague alerted her in January 2020 that a senior Saudi official had twice threatened in a meeting with other senior UN officials in Geneva that month to have Callamard “taken care of” if she was not reined in by the UN.

'The EU did not rise to the challenge': UN special rapporteur on Europe's failure to fill human rights void
Read more

Asked how the comment was perceived by her Geneva-based colleagues, Callamard said: “A death threat. That was how it was understood.”

Top Saudi official issued death threat against UN's Khashoggi investigator

Turkey: Don’t Transfer Khashoggi Trial to Saudi Arabia

On April 7, 2022, an Istanbul court is due to issue its formal ruling granting the prosecutor’s request on March 31 to transfer the case. Saudi authorities have obstructed meaningful accountability for Khashoggi’s murder since October 2, 2018, the day he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and disappeared.

"With respect to the murder of Khashoggi, I raised it at the top of the meeting, making it clear what I thought of it at the time and what I think about it now," Mr Biden told reporters.

"I was straight forward and direct in discussing it. I made my view crystal clear.

"I said very straightforwardly, for an American president to be silent on an issue of human rights is inconsistent with who we are and who I am."

During their talks in Jeddah, the US president said the crown prince claimed he was “not personally responsible” for the death of Khashoggi. “I indicated I thought he was,” the president said he replied.

Mr Khashoggi was murdered and dismembered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul four years ago.

In a meeting with reporters Friday, Biden said he told Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi crown prince, that he was “probably” responsible for the murder of Khashoggi.
“With respect to the murder of Khashoggi, I raised it at the top of the meeting, making it clear of what I thought about it at the time, and what I think of it now. I was straight forward and direct in discussing it. I made my view crystal clear,” Biden said following his diplomatic meetings in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:

The United Arab Emirates has sentenced an American citizen and the former lawyer of Jamal Khashoggi — the dissident Saudi journalist who was killed at Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul in 2018 — to three years in prison on charges of money laundering and tax evasion.

The lawyer, US citizen Asim Ghafoor, will be deported, the UAE’s state-run WAM news agency reported late Saturday, without saying when. The Abu Dhabi Money Laundering Court also ordered that Ghafoor pay a fine of $816,748 stemming from his in absentia conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back