GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue with her going into the cave of her own accord is that I do give her more credit than that. She may have made some mistakes as far as the people she trusted, due to having an 'online friendship' with them. But I don't believe she would head over into those cave-like doors herself, all alone. Especially being a native New Yorker. She may not have been overseas before, but she sure had been around NY and other places (she had a few pics from the DC area on IG). Just my take on it... but I could be wrong. I guess I just don't believe it was random.

I know really random things happen. But I just really don't see the homeless man theory. It's sounds to much like a folklore.

I agree. Homeless people in Istanbul are like Nick Nolte in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills". They walk around like Diogenes. They make take the jacket, but they won't hurt anyone, most wouldn't care for jewelry either.

Druggies are far more dangerous.

Thanks, Ami.

How was she homeschooling if she had a job? And, with her school bills, a trip like this still is a luxury to a family that has had problems before and has two sons to raise.

In any event, her husband seems to have put her needs and wants as a high priority. I hope he is left only with the best of memories.

I have no idea about the homeschooling, but my guess would be with help from her parents and husband.

Most families have had financial struggles at some point in their lives - it doesn't mean they're poor forever. Eight years past a bankruptcy is a huge amount of time for financial recovery. And of course she went off season. She was staying in a place that cost less than $25 a night. Plane tickets between NJ and Istanbul are less than $500 right now (actually less than it cost me to fly between Chicago and Boston earlier this year). This was not a luxury vacation. She could have spent more on a dingy Carnival cruise.

I can see it happening. Shes taking pictures around the cave,gets tired, decides to sit and rest her feet at the cave.Takes her shoes off.Meanwhile,homeless man or men come back to their spot and find her there.They do not speak English,and maybe miscommunicate or who knows what happened from there.

With all due respect, I just don't see a single or group of deranged Turkish men on the prowl looking to rape or murder.

My issue with her going into the cave of her own accord is that I do give her more credit than that. She may have made some mistakes as far as the people she trusted, due to having an 'online friendship' with them. But I don't believe she would head over into those cave-like doors herself, all alone. Especially being a native New Yorker. She may not have been overseas before, but she sure had been around NY and other places (she had a few pics from the DC area on IG). Just my take on it... but I could be wrong. I guess I just don't believe it was random.

When I saw that video of where she was found I tend to agree. As a city person those looked a bit creepy and I'm not sure if I would have ventured into them alone. . But then I am a bit of a chicken...

I know really random things happen. But I just really don't see the homeless man theory. It's sounds to much like a folklore.

It does sound so unlikely. But then I also can't picture how Taylan (or whatever his name is now) could meet her without also getting captured on cameras. What route could he have taken not to be seen on the seaside walkway? Can you pull a car over on the busy road to park near the wall?

I'm trying to picture a scenario in which she walks there alone and then meets with someone she knows in such an odd spot, and someone who was not filmed walking with her, behind her, presumably they checked in front of her on the film too? Like someone getting there 15 minutes before her?

I agree. Homeless people in Istanbul are like Nick Nolte in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills". They walk around like Diogenes. They make take the jacket, but they won't hurt anyone, most wouldn't care for jewelry either.

Druggies are far more dangerous.

While druggies are dangerous when high, an attempt was made to hid the body, something I can't see them doing in their state. And again, why not take the jewelry for more drugs.

I can see it happening. Shes taking pictures around the cave,gets tired, decides to sit and rest her feet at the cave.Takes her shoes off.Meanwhile,homeless man or men come back to their spot and find her there.They do not speak English,and maybe miscommunicate or who knows what happened from there.

That's not likely. Homeless people in Istanbul are usually nice people. They are happy to have found a place to spend the winter. A spot or a cave that even pigs feel uncomfortable. They don't want to lose it. Why would they jeopardize it by attacking someone?

It does sound so unlikely. But then I also can't picture how Taylan (or whatever his name is now) could meet her without also getting captured on cameras. What route could he have taken not to be seen on the seaside walkway? Can you pull a car over on the busy road to park near the wall?

I'm trying to picture a scenario in which she walks there alone and then meets with someone she knows in such an odd spot, and someone who was not filmed walking with her, behind her, presumably they checked in front of her on the film too? Like someone getting there 15 minutes before her?

Are there other ways to get to the walls? And yes wouldn't they have pictures of someone coming or going from the spot?

I think they're trying to come up with a scenario based on the evidence. If she was on the beach side at one point, then she eventually ended up on the other side. They are probably coming up with a theory to fit it being a random/stranger abduction, IMO, and how it could have happened.

Yes, but she could have also crossed the road at that location because she was meeting someone there. If she disappears from camera they have no idea what her motivation for crossing the road was.

She walked along the walls for a mile across the road. Maybe she felt safe crossing the walls at that point because she saw the person she was meeting across the street. Maybe she was street smart enough to know those walls looked scketchy enough to not walk by on her own. But when she saw who she was meeting she felt safe to cross.

Are there other ways to get to the walls? And yes wouldn't they have pictures of someone coming or going from the spot?

Well I'm pretty sure there is wooded area behind the walls. And I also think gulhane park is about in that spot. So a local who knew that area could know "the back way " in.

@taylloo did have a picture that he had take on those walls....so he is at least a possibility for someone who would have known the area

That's not likely. Homeless people are usually nice people. They are happy to have found a place to spend the winter. A spot or a cave that even pigs feel uncomfortable. They don't want to lose it. Why would they jeopardize it by attacking someone?

I agree with that, although there are people out there that are capable of doing things you wouldn't think would ever happen.You just never know who people REALLY are.

While druggies are dangerous when high, an attempt was made to hid the body, something I can't see them doing in their state. And again, why not take the jewelry for more drugs.

Those druggies are not heroine addicts. They are sniffing glue and paint thinners. Most of their brain cells are dead. Even if they stole it, they can't walk into a jewelry store, and if they try to sell it to mob, they would be beaten to death trying to sell it.

This is what they usually look like

<modsnip>

Well I'm pretty sure there is wooded area behind the walls. And I also think gulhane park is about in that spot. So a local who knew that area could know "the back way " in.

@taylloo did have a picture that he had take on those walls....so he is at least a possibility for someone who would have known the area

Is that true??? OMG

Another that I haven't seen. Promise I'll stop after this.

http://gundem.milliyet.com.tr/sierr...em/gundemdetay/06.02.2013/1665005/default.htm

This is long.

There are a lot of tiny details.

She had 400 dollars with her.

Like she changed her ticket on the day she arrived on 8th.

When she didn't come her brother tell a turkish friend who tells another friend who goes to the police.

On 28 steven logged in her gmail. Saw messages from user "camsab" saying "are you there? where are you?"
steven; I'm her husband, where is she?
camsab; haven't seen her we last met on 20th and send the past correspondance.

Steven told police my wife doesn't have any american or turkish friends in Turkey

I agree with that, although there are people out there that are capable of doing things you wouldn't think would ever happen.You just never know who people REALLY are.

Yes this is true. But random crimes such as that are WAY more rare inTurkey then they are in most places. I would be more inclined to believe that theory in the US or even anywhere in western europe, less so in the Scandinavia countries probably.

Your absolutely right it is not IMPOSSIBLE but given the country it took place in, I believe the chances of a random very violent crime are very very slim.

Most people are not murdered by strangers statistically. I think that statistic drops even lower when you put that scenario in Turkey.

I just had a thought. (Yes, that's what you smelled burning.)

You know, because we need MORE theories with little evidence, I want to throw out one more possibility.

If T. was not the culprit, and if Sarai wouldn't have gone into such a sketchy place without a guide, we can assume she made a friend while there who she trusted on some level. In my experience, in other countries, ex-pats and tourists from the same home country often become fast friends, particularly in a country where the native language is not a traveler's first language. Ending up behind someone in line for a coffee could result in a day long excursion exploring a city, even though, if the same two people had been in line at Starbucks in Manhattan, they probably wouldn't have even grunted a greeting at each other.

Could she have met her end not because of some nefarious Turkish underworld/drug ring/lothario tour guide conspiracy/paint huffing freaks but simply by meeting up with an evil American?

Yes, I think it's only a slight possibility, but I do put it higher on my list than Mossad assassination.

...continued.

Website says somebody called police on 31st and said:

I saw this woman 20 days ago in front of Sultanahmet Mosque. A guide went to her.

* Actually not exactly a guide more like a comissioner. Word is "Hanutcu"

Hw talked to her gave her card. She went to the mosque. He laughed and walked back. 5 friends of him were waiting close by. When she came out they spoke again. I didn't find it interesting. About 10 days ago she came to Topkapi palace, talked to same guy. 7 more guides followed them. I believe they might now her whereabouts. They might have harmed her. I know that they abused and sexually assaulted women before. I am scared of them. Thats why I am not giving my name. Police started following these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18