Two month old killed by family lab

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In one article, they said the Lab was actually six months old. So there is a definite discrepancy on the age of the dog.

Do we really have to get into dog lectures here?! This is a case about neglect and death of a baby. The adults in this situation are to blame. No one is blaming the dog!! AN HOUR AND A HALF is how long that poor sweet baby was left alone while my guess is that the grandmother and mother were sleeping!! Grandfather put the baby in the swing before he left the house at 8:30 am. This means at no time in an hour and a half...no one bothered to even CHECK on this baby.

This means sometime in an hour and a half...no one bothered to even CHECK on this baby.

I asume it means they stayed in bed asleep? I cannot imagine ever doing such a thing. If one of my babies was up when my hubby was leaving for work he brought them to me and we snuggled in my bed--never would have dreamed to leave a baby by itself! This is a case of neglect--no 2 month old child should be left alone for 5 minutes let alone an hour and a half!

Mine has walked up to babies in the car seat carriers on the floor and kissed them on their faces- in front of us!

Oh yea--ours too--or Halo would try to give the baby a ball to see if the baby would throw it. haha Of course once she realized the baby wasn't throwing she would get her ball and move on to the next person.

I wonder if Grandfather went in and told the mom to get up...then she went back to sleep instead. I haven't seen him yet on the news, but I bet he is devastated knowing he is the one who put that baby in the swing.

I wonder if Grandfather went in and told the mom to get up...then she went back to sleep instead. I haven't seen him yet on the news, but I bet he is devastated knowing he is the one who put that baby in the swing.

I did not even think of it that way but I bet you are right!!!! How horrifying for him!!!

Do we really have to get into dog lectures here?! This is a case about neglect and death of a baby. The adults in this situation are to blame. No one is blaming the dog!! AN HOUR AND A HALF is how long that poor sweet baby was left alone while my guess is that the grandmother and mother were sleeping!! Grandfather put the baby in the swing before he left the house at 8:30 am. This means at no time in an hour and a half...no one bothered to even CHECK on this baby.

Is this directed at me?

My post isn't meant as a lecture, it's simply venting and helpful information that might prevent another tragedy. That's all I want...is for it to stop.

This is the second story in a row I've upset someone with what I've posted (it all relates, but isn't wanted...apparently). I can't predict what others want and don't want to hear, I can only post my thoughts and feelings on the matter. I don't feel I can even post anymore...

I love labs.. have had 2 of them... they are protective,... had one bite a child in order to protect HIS child.. my dd...
but hurt a child for no reason... I don't see it

The Grandfather is not to blame......nor is the swing or the puppy..the blame lies with the lazy mother and Grandmother.

This is my lab when she was 6 weeks old...she was so itty bitty and I know a baby crying from pain sounds different than a baby crying from hunger.

DSC03664.jpg

She couldn't evenget her mouth around this let alone do any damage--she couldn't even tear the taller grass around her at that time.

DSC03673.jpg
What a sweetie..thats how my Jake looked at that age aswell:)

Is this directed at me?

My post isn't meant as a lecture, it's simply venting and helpful information that might prevent another tragedy. That's all I want...is for it to stop.

This is the second story in a row I've upset someone with what I've posted (it all relates, but isn't wanted...apparently). I can't predict what others want and don't want to hear, I can only post my thoughts and feelings on the matter. I don't feel I can even post anymore...

I liked your post. We've got a rescue dog who's having some anxiety issues, and it's good to read about dog behavior and how to work with it. :)

Is this directed at me?

No, not directed at you at all!! It was the whole getting into the pit bull debate I was addressing!! Your information was good info for people with any dog!! I will even add to what you said:

Precautions Needed Between Children And Pets

Many are still trying to understand how a Tulsa infant could have been killed by a black lab puppy. The News On 6's Chris Wright reports police say all the evidence still points to the puppy in the death of Zane Earles. But, it's a conclusion that has even dog experts shaking their heads.

~snip~

Police say Zane was left unattended in a child-swing. If the baby was swaying back and forth, Susanne says the puppy may have found that movement irresistible, much like a tennis ball or other toy, and its predatory instincts could have kicked in.

~snip~

Besides not leaving dogs alone with small children, Susanne recommends other safety measures for parents. She says you make sure that the dog does not view your child as a toy or playmate, but instead as an authority figure.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8757033

Unattended Infant Mauled to Death by Dog; Puppy Euthanized
Frankly, this headline should read:
Unattended Infant Mauled to Death by Dog; Parents / Caregivers Euthanized
There are some people who just shouldn't have pets – or children.

Is this directed at me?

I appreciated your initial post, Diamond, and think it's right on track and certainly relates to the discussion we are having. Please keep posting. :blowkiss:

ETA - I think SS was talking more about the neverending pit bull "debate."

I don't know that I ever went 5 minutes without checking on a 6-week-old unless they were asleep in a bassinet. IIRC, my 6-week-olds rarely left my side. I too wonder if the Mom might have fallen back to sleep. Heartbreaking.

Without knowing more, I am not willing to tag the Mom with a "wanton neglect" label. What happened is extremely random. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I believe, in most cases, if a 6 week old fell asleep in a child swing and was left unattended for an hour and a half, the child would be okay.

That doesn't mean I think it's okay to let that happen, just that there is truly a randomness and an element of , "no way!" to the outcome - I just don't think most people would consider a lab puppy a danger to an infant. Those facts combined with a 17-year-old mother (and, forgive me, but I just don't think most young teenage mothers have much of a clue) engender some empathy in me.

One of the articles say the mother was visibly distraught. This is a horrible price for her to have to pay. Horrible for the infant too, of course, but if I had to choose my pain, I'd take the infant's place over the mom's any day of the week. I understand not everyone may feel that way.

Again - I would like to know what the mother and grandmother were doing during that 1 and 1/2 hours.

Oh this is truly heartbreaking. :(
I, too have a love for labs. I just would never think a lab could be capable of harm. They are generally so loyal and loving.
My prayers are with the family. - too sad...

I think, to prevent accidents, people need to better understand dogs and their behavior. They're not 'furry people', and don't think, feel and act like we do. It's upsetting how many miss the signs, and there are warning signs before a bite. Although, in this case, I feel it was rough play and not intended. Dogs have always been in my life (be it as a hobby and/or profession)....they're my love and life. I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot durning that time.

Here are some decent sites:

Highly recommend reading:
http://www.doggonesafe.com/dog communication.htm

Other bites/attacks:
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Aggression info:
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/aggression.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/aggres1.html
http://www.k9aggression.com/Aggression/aggression_types.html#animals
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/aggression.html

Thank you for the links Diamond!

Maybe they should put 'WARNING' stickers on ALL DOGS, be it puppy or full grown.

'WARNING, NOT TO BE LEFT ALONE WITH CHILD BELOW THE AGE OF 15'

Nah, that won't work, some people don't know how to read or choose NOT to.

JMHO
fran

I would love to see a credible reference to the Vick's dogs doing hospital visits - I assume it came from a more reputable source than "media coverage".

I know the woman who has the Vick dog that is doing hospital (and nursing home) visits. She's on an email list I belong to and we've also met in person.

Either she is lying to me (and a bunch of other people) or the dog is actually as represented. Seeing as she has posted roughly a gazillion and three photos of her dog in clearly institutional settings, I think the evidence says she's telling the truth.

I know the woman who has the Vick dog that is doing hospital (and nursing home) visits. She's on an email list I belong to and we've also met in person.

Either she is lying to me (and a bunch of other people) or the dog is actually as represented. Seeing as she has posted roughly a gazillion and three photos of her dog in clearly institutional settings, I think the evidence says she's telling the truth.

Truth or not, if I was confined to a nursing home I wouldn't want a Michael Vick pit bull or any other pit bull coming to visit me!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::mad::banghead:
That's not therapy, that's torture to the patients!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06
Back