TX - 10 deceased as a result of crowd surge at Astroworld festival, Houston, 5 Nov 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This tragedy has shaken me. What a horrible nightmare for the victims and their families and friends, the fans, the performers and promoters, and ESPECIALLY the first responders who came upon the worst possible scenario they imagined.

I am very distressed that the stage surge occurred hours AFTER concert-goers had already breached the security gates by storming in when the venue opened in the afternoon. I got an alert about that development yesterday around 3-4 pm that fans had stormed the gates. I saw THAT video and it looked way out of control, so IMHO there was prior warning that this could ver well be a difficult situation to continue. Perhaps it was assumed that the 500+ LE and security personnel would suffice for the total number tickets sold….50,000 in one article below….100,000 in another linked below. But after the entry way was toppled, no doubt hundreds if not thousands more were able to enter without tickets. Such a terrible tragedy! Anyone who has ever been to a concert, or has children attending them now, must be stunned as I am by this disaster that cost multiple lives. There but for the Grace of God go I/mine.

Afternoon issues:
Stampede at Astroworld fest entry unfolds in front of ABC13 crew

Multiple fans were trampled as hundreds rushed the event's perimeter Friday afternoon. Once inside, some people began climbing onto portable toilets as security personnel worked to try and contain the crowd.

One person who was detained by security talked to ABC13.

"I just really wanted to be inside the festival so bad," he said.

Of those who were trampled during the rush, there was no word on how many people were injured, but none appeared to be severe.

The crowd disregarded metal detectors and security guards who were checking bags.

Members of the Houston Police Department's Mounted Patrol Unit were also on scene and worked to contain the chaotic scene.

The event's 100,000 tickets sold out within an hour of going on sale back in May.

WORSE later in the night:
8 dead, hundreds injured at Astroworld fest Friday night, hours after stampede

The worst of the incident began around 9:15 p.m. when the crowd of approximately 50,000 concert-goers began to move toward the front of the stage, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña.

The Houston Fire Department will be holding a briefing Saturday at about 3 p.m. to provide the public with updates.

This tragedy has shaken me. What a horrible nightmare for the victims and their families and friends, the fans, the performers and promoters, and ESPECIALLY the first responders who came upon the worst possible scenario they imagined.

I am very distressed that the stage surge occurred hours AFTER concert-goers had already breached the security gates by storming in when the venue opened in the afternoon. I got an alert about that development yesterday around 3-4 pm that fans had stormed the gates. I saw THAT video and it looked way out of control, so IMHO there was prior warning that this could ver well be a difficult situation to continue. Perhaps it was assumed that the 500+ LE and security personnel would suffice for the total number tickets sold….50,000 in one article below….100,000 in another linked below. But after the entry way was toppled, no doubt hundreds if not thousands more were able to enter without tickets. Such a terrible tragedy! Anyone who has ever been to a concert, or has children attending them now, must be stunned as I am by this disaster that cost multiple lives. There but for the Grace of God go I/mine.

Afternoon issues:

A lot of issues exposed here:

Poor maintenance of the gates and crowd control

No seating, only stand-up, so that there is no way to effectively provide a safe environment, just allow participants to pack in as close as they can stand, no way to adhere to any safety regulations.

The artist has reported issues and prior citations for inciting the crowds to rush the stage and creates an atmosphere where crowds are uncontrollable.

Minors are allowed into an event where there is (likely) drug and alcohol use.

I think LE is not going to be able to do too much to this very influential performer.

But the insurance company that insures these events sure can. They can stipulate conditions that will completely stop this uncontrolled and irresponsible behaviour to occur.

As the apparent owner/promoter of these events, he can be shut down and likely held responsible for the deaths.

Why Did Travis Scott Name His Album ‘Astroworld’? | Heavy.com

This article from 2018 gives background on the original Astroworld amusement park, and why native son Travis Scott put out an album with the same name. Fast forward to now when Scott’s Astroworld Music Festival was in its 3rd year. Although it is touted as taking place on the same site as the original Astroworld, it is actually across the freeway in what used to be the parking lot of Astroworld and the Astrodome. It is now used as a parking lot for NRG the home of NFL’s Houston Texans and for various other events. There have been dozens of prior events in this parking lot including other music festivals, the Houston Rodeo chili cook off, charity walk/runs among others.

Last edited:

Afternoon issues:

I think it was 50,000 for Day 1 and 50,000 for Day 2 for a total of 100K. However the gate stormers aren’t in that count. Can’t imagine it was thousands that made it through but maybe a couple hundred. (IMO). The fact that they didn’t have tickets but just “really wanted to go” is alarming. They aren’t going to play by the rules to attend the event, or somehow the rules don’t apply to them..it boggles the mind.
There was a concert a few weeks ago that the crowd got out of control as well. No one died but neighbor had water bottles thrown at him on horseback.

Rapper's concert at NRG canceled due to fans' chaos attributed to 'aggressive album'

seems like concerts in Houston have the potential to be out of control at the moment.

I think it was 50,000 for Day 1 and 50,000 for Day 2 for a total of 100K. However the gate stormers aren’t in that count. Can’t imagine it was thousands that made it through but maybe a couple hundred. (IMO). The fact that they didn’t have tickets but just “really wanted to go” is alarming. They aren’t going to play by the rules to attend the event, or somehow the rules don’t apply to them..it boggles the mind.
There was a concert a few weeks ago that the crowd got out of control as well. No one died but neighbor had water bottles thrown at him on horseback.

Rapper's concert at NRG canceled due to fans' chaos attributed to 'aggressive album'
At least that other concert was shut down so that no one was hurt in the "aggressive crowd"

If people plan to rush a gate to get into a venue for free, without tickets, then it will happen again, and this sort of behaviour will continue.

Once there are unauthorized entries, then the venue should be shut down. Just like the prior one was.

Performers have to take responsibility for this. If they can't find and promote safe venues, then they can't reap the huge sales they rely on.

At least that other concert was shut down so that no one was hurt in the "aggressive crowd"

If people plan to rush a gate to get into a venue for free, without tickets, then it will happen again, and this sort of behaviour will continue.

Once there are unauthorized entries, then the venue should be shut down. Just like the prior one was.

Performers have to take responsibility for this. If they can't find and promote safe venues, then they can't reap the huge sales they rely on.
I don’t know how many fans were at the cancelled concert, it went crazy after concert was cancelled. I imagine that was considered. 50,000+ potentially angry fans if they cancelled would have overwhelmed the situation. However it was still light out when they went through the barrier, so if it was canceled immediately the crowd my not be large. Going forward, hopefully officials will be more diligent about cancel early if things spin out of control.
IMOO

Whomever owns / runs this venue needs a strong legal clause that allows Houston PD to shut down the venue for unauthorized entries or other such fraud/ law enforcement infractions that override any objections by the performer.

And the venues need to be held responsible.

I think 8 major negligent manslaughter charges and / or lawsuits should put venue owners on notice pretty quickly

Houston fire chief: Deaths could rise in Astroworld tragedy

The death count from the stampede at Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert could rise above the eight already confirmed, Houston Fire Department Chief Samuel Pena said Saturday.

There were 11 people in cardiac arrest among the 17 taken to the hospital after what authorities have initially labeled a crushing incident Friday, at the first night of the planned two-day music festival at NRG Park in Houston.

“What we know is that we have eight people who have died as a result of the injuries suffered at at that event,” Pena told MSNBC Saturday. “That number may rise, because we did transport more people in critical condition. We took 11 that they were performing CPR on en route to the hospital.”

The victims have not yet been identified, but in an appearance on CNN, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said they range in age from from 16 to 23.

Astroworld Concert Live Updates: Crowd Surge Leaves 8 Dead at Travis Scott Show

The concert was attended by 50,000 people, officials said, and investigators said they would examine video from the event to determine what happened.

In one 25-second video posted on Reddit, a young man in a white T-shirt climbs onto a riser from which a cameraman is recording the concert. A person in the crowd yells for the young man to get down. The young man responds: “People are dying,” and adds, “I want to save somebody’s life.”

As the young man seeks help, Mr. Scott can be heard on the stage. The clip ends with the voice of another man saying, “People in the pit will take care of them.”

In another video, this one posted on YouTube,Mr. Scott is onstage and tells the crowd: “I want to see some rages. Who want to rage?” Moments later he says, “There’s an ambulance in the crowd, whoa, whoa, whoa,” apparently trying to calm the commotion.

For several seconds, there is no music at the concert. Mr. Scott looks toward the crowd and around the stage before looking at the crowd again and appearing to ask what is happening. The red and blue lights of an ambulance can be seen amid the sea of people.

Then, Mr. Scott says, “If everybody good, put a middle finger up in the sky.” The video shows the ambulance in the crowd, surrounded by people holding their phones, many with a middle finger extended as instructed.

Then two men who appear to be part of Mr. Scott’s entourage approach him on the stage. He shoos them away and turns to the crowd, asking those present to to put “two hands to the sky.”

Another person tells the crowd, “Two hands up, two hands up.” The video shows the performer raising his hands in the air, with the ambulance visible amid the crowd of fans.

“Y'all know what you came to do,” Mr. Scott says to the crowd. Then as the music resumes, he urges the crowd to make the “ground shake.”
Sounds like Mr. middle finger in the air and ground shake will be neck deep in law suits for a long time to come. Just amateur opinion and speculation, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub
Back