TX - 10 deceased as a result of crowd surge at Astroworld festival, Houston, 5 Nov 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rbbm.
Families with missing loved ones asked to go to Wingate Hotel | khou.com
''During an early-morning news conference, Houston Fire Chief Sam Pena and Police Chief Troy Finner said families whose loved ones are unaccounted for should go to the Wyndham Wingate Hotel at 8686 Kirby near Loop 610.

Counselors will be on hand at the reunification center along with HFD and HPD personnel to assist the families.

The Houston Office of Emergency Management also posted phone numbers for those who haven't heard from a loved one who was at the festival. Those numbers are 832-393-2991 or 832-393-2990.

Officials said you can also dial 311 or 713-837-0311.''

So shaken by this avoidable tragedy. I'd been watching concert-goers' videos of the chaos and in one video they show a victim being crowd-surfed out of the carnage. When I saw it I was horrified and shocked this video was being circulated because the person looked dead. Then later when read some articles about the deceased with their pictures, I recognized one of them as that same person. He probably WAS dead in that video. I can't get his lifeless face out of my head now. Went there with his best friend to celebrate friend's birthday and they both ended up trampled to death. How devastating.

Last edited:
Do we know how much longer Travis played for after his ‘who asked me to stop’ comment? Asking the crowd to hold their middle finger up if they’re ok is a pretty stupid way of assessing crowd safety. People being asphyxiated can’t respond.

Many years ago I was at a concert where a teenage girl got crushed to death. The band repeatedly begged the crowd to stand back and they did the right thing by stopping as soon as they were told someone was seriously injured. Had they kept playing far more people would have died that night.

Do we know how much longer Travis played for after his ‘who asked me to stop’ comment? Asking the crowd to hold their middle finger up if they’re ok is a pretty stupid way of assessing crowd safety. People being asphyxiated can’t respond.

Many years ago I was at a concert where a teenage girl got crushed to death. The band repeatedly begged the crowd to stand back and they did the right thing by stopping as soon as they were told someone was seriously injured. Had they kept playing far more people would have died that night.
Agreed.

He should have stopped when it appeared that people were being carried out, even if he only thought they'd passed out unconscious.
The crowd was yelling at one point to, 'stop the show'.
Smh.
MOO.

Nov 7 2021 rbbm.
Astroworld victims: What we know about 8 killed during Travis Scott performance
''1 has yet to be identified

Authorities are looking for help identifying one of the eight victims who died during the Astroworld tragedy.

The man, believed to be in his early 20s, had short black or dark brown wavy hair, a slight mustache with a noticeable goatee, and was wearing size 11 white Nike sneakers. He was 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighed 498 pounds.

His body was recovered from Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, where he was brought after Friday's incident.''

His race isn't listed in that description
Could not find that ^ info. so far, noting in some articles the UID male is described as early 20's not 30's. rbbm.

PICTURED: Boy, 14, who was youngest victim of Travis Scott concert crush and man who cops can't ID | Daily Mail Online
''The man is believed to be in his early 20s, has short dark hair, a goatee and was wearing white size 11 Nikes. He was six feet two inches tall, and weighed 498 pounds.

That victim was taken to Memorial Herman Hospital in the wake of Friday's deadly crush. Investigators have yet to say how he died, and have asked anyone with information about his identity to contact the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences at 832-927-5000, or 832-927-5001. ''

I believe he's been identified. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post pics since it's Facebook, but family members have posted pictures of him (alive) looking for him, saying he was at the event and is missing. It's definitely him from the pictures. And then a later FB update by his brother confirmed that he'd been found deceased and funeral arrangements have been made. Not sure if the media are going to update when the ID was so quick.

'Stop the show!' Houston concertgoers describe chaos
Starting at the 1:07 mark, the young woman describes the fences or barriers breaking and coming apart from the crowd crush.
She describes the security 'strapping' the fences together which may have meant they tried to use nylon bungee cords or straps with the metal buckles that are used to strap equipment for transport ?
Either way, it apparently didn't stop the fences collapsing from the crowd crushing against it.
Somewhat reminiscent of the Who concert tragedy in 1979. :(
Imo.

Last edited:
There is offensive garbage in his lyrics. I heard it said that there were kids as young as 10 years old that attended. I realize we live in a different world now but I wouldn’t want a young child of mine listening to that trash. To think he gets paid to do it is awful.

'Stop the show!' Houston concertgoers describe chaos
Starting at the 1:07 mark, the young woman describes the fences or barriers breaking and coming apart from the crowd crush.
She describes the security 'strapping' the fences together which may have meant they tried to use nylon bungee cords or straps with the metal buckles that are used to strap equipment for transport ?
Either way, it apparently didn't stop the fences collapsing from the crowd crushing against it.
Stronger fences and better security could have saved lives.
Somewhat reminiscent of the Who concert tragedy in 1979. :(
Imo.

I would think stronger fences would only have resulted in more injuries, as the crowd crush wouldn't stop.

At least the fences breaking would have allowed some relief of the sheer pressure from the weight of the crowd.

But that's only my first thought and I am not a professional in charge of security for 50,000 people

I would think stronger fences would only have resulted in more injuries, as the crowd crush wouldn't stop.

At least the fences breaking would have allowed some relief of the sheer pressure from the weight of the crowd.

But that's only my first thought and I am not a professional in charge of security for 50,000 people
Agreed; went back and edited after rereading my comment.

I keep thinking of the fencing type system where they could 'funnel' crowds to designated areas to avoid this in the future ?
But I'm thinking mainly of indoor venues.
I'm not a concert-goer; but will not go to any event that doesn't have assigned seating or separated areas for crowd control.

The last outdoor crowd I was in was for the tour of one of the presidents and I will never go amongst any crowd like that again.
It was not a tight squeeze -- where you're fighting and struggling to breathe -- but when the president appeared, the crowd moved forward and did compress a bit and it was like being moved along in an ocean wave.
You have little to no control of how far forward you're being moved and it's frightening !
Imo.

I will say that it might be hard to see the crowd with the lights when performing however if Travis Scott was approached by whoever after the surge started and shooed them away that’s a different story. Obviously others not on the stage and we’re managing things knew what was happening though!
ITA.
It was like a perfect storm of woeful inexperience and unpreparedness.
So sad ... this was completely preventable !!
Imo.

People have been hurt falling from even one story.
And TS was encouraging a fan to drop from two stories ?
It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes broke from the lawsuits following the injuries and deaths of this latest debacle.
Maybe enough to shut his concerts down for good ?
It's hard to feel badly for TS if the lawsuits ruin his career.
Just saying.

Those poor devastated families who won't get to see or hear their beloved people's faces and voices again.
Imo.

Agreed; went back and edited after rereading my comment.

I keep thinking of the fencing type system where they could 'funnel' crowds to designated areas to avoid this in the future ?
But I'm thinking mainly of indoor venues.
I'm not a concert-goer; but will not go to any event that doesn't have assigned seating or separated areas for crowd control.

The last outdoor crowd I was in was for the tour of one of the presidents and I will never go amongst any crowd like that again.
It was not a tight squeeze -- where you're fighting and struggling to breathe -- but when the president appeared, the crowd moved forward and did compress a bit and it was like being moved along in an ocean wave.
You have little to no control of how far forward you're being moved and it's frightening !
Imo.

I've most recently only gone to concerts with reserved seating. I was at Coachella a couple of years ago and I now recognize how effective their setup is in dealing with 50-100,000 people. Vast amount of space, spreading the field. I really never remember feeling crushed or stuck in a crowd I couldn't get out of. Always seemed to find a place to dance with the music. But the acts I saw were not encouraging raging, or jumping, or crowd surfing behaviour. It was just all rockin' out to the music.

This horrible event is such a lesson about knowing what you are going to get into, what kind of crowd this music is likely to attract and what kind of behaviours that crowd might get up to, and making safe decisions, as in staying away in the back with open space. And understanding the dangers of the oxymoronic "festival seating" (which is no seating at all-just standup the entire time).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cokie
Back