TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in agreement. I've worked with school age children for 40 yrs from Kdg to 12th grade. I can attest that many youth are so attached to their phones/internet that they become stressed if their phone is not on their person so they can check it for messages/updates. Some youth spend so much time on Social Media, YouTube, and Games that they are very disconnected when it comes to actually communicating and interacting socially. They are on their phones when eating lunch and at free time after lunch. They pull their phones out the minute they change classes so they can look at them. Some prefer the impersonal communication that comes via technology and often say things or have things said to them online that are abusive, crude, and inappropriate. They voice their opinions online and say things they would not say otherwise because there is that buffer there. Many youth have tons of followers on instagram, etc. but really do not have any true friendships and some have no idea how to form relationships. Can you imagine getting your self-worth and self-confidence from social media? Many youth don't and they become withdrawn and depressed. In the past few years, I have personally seen a huge increase in youth who are hospitalized for suicidal ideation and sadly have dealt with three incidents of a child taking their own life this past year. I was doing an intervention for another minor who had suicidal ideations and was about to be hospitalized for a second time. I watched this child looking at their phone the entire time they walked down the hall to me and my office. I then had to ask them to put the phone away while we talked. Part of this child's problem was something that happened online.

Relationships are essential; humans are social creatures. Human nature craves human interaction, and that interaction cannot be effectively replaced by technology. The shooter/murderer was spending (by his own account) up to 8 hrs. a day on the computer. I doubt he was building relationships and learning how to interact with others. I love the internet, but it cannot replace human interaction and socialization if we expect youth to grow up on the internet where life is not always depicted and which shows an illusion of an exciting adventurous life that is only depicted on phone or internet accounts.
The world is changing so fast but children still have the essential human development needs such as verbal communication and nonverbal communication, or body language, that reveals even more about a person’s emotions. Without enough face-to-face communication, these nonverbal cues are unable to develop properly, skewing children’s relationships with others as they grow up in a technology-inclusive society.

I apologize for the rant! I did not mean to type so much. I have just seen so many youth who are isolating themselves on the internet on a world that is not reality, and these youth are hurting. Kudos to parents/guardians who monitor how much time their child spends on the internet each day. MOO

edited for clarity

A couple of years ago, I watched an interesting segment on 20/20, or similar. It was about social media companies purposely setting up a platform to cause users to become addicted to getting likes etc. In testing subjects, they found it was exactly like a gambling addiction. They also set up a way to increase the clicks through issuing a reward. Dear god. We are like lab rats!

I have not heard the full account, maybe some has been answered here but I have not read all. Witness statements that the shooting lasted 20 minutes, LE arrived 6 minutes after they were called and arrested him without incident. That would mean that even with many people in the parking lot and inside the store, no one called 911 for 14 minutes. And no one in the store tried to shoot him or take him down, 14 minutes. Then he must have left and got back in his car as he was arrested and removed from his car. Where was he when this occurred? It didn't appear to be in the parking lot.
I just would like to understand the flow because it doesn't make sense to me.

That article is slightly confusing to me. In summary it seems both instagram and 8chan are saying the shooter did not upload the manifesto?

Agree, and article says other people did. We will know soon.

So the video of him being taken into custody is not in the Walmart parking lot. I have read somewhere that he stopped shooting because he ran out of ammunition. I wonder if they will reopen the Walmart.

This is the birthday girl.... the baby boy's big sister. :(

Girl who lost mom in El Paso massacre asks if she'll be shot next - CNN

Skylin Jamrowski had just received the worst news of her young life.

Her mother was shot and killed in what police believe was a terror attack fueled by hatred for Hispanic immigrants.

"Is my dad dead?" the 5-year-old asked her grandmother. For hours the family didn't know, searching for facts of what had happened when police say a young white man started shooting outside and then inside a Walmart, killing 22 people and injuring two dozen more.

But yes, her stepfather -- the man she called dad -- was dead along with his wife. Skylin, the eldest of three children, had to be told. She responded with tears and a question about the killer: "Is he going to come and shoot me?"

Skylin is not alone, surrounded by the love of her remaining family.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The baby survived the massacre when his mom, Jordan Anchondo, shielded him with her body when she was shot. His father, Andre Anchondo tried to protect them both, relatives said.

"The shooter had aimed at Jordan. And Andre jumped in front of Jordan. And the shooter shot Andre, and the bullets went through Andre and hit Jordan," said Misti Jamrowski, Jordan Anchondo's mom.

So the video of him being taken into custody is not in the Walmart parking lot. I have read somewhere that he stopped shooting because he ran out of ammunition. I wonder if they will reopen the Walmart.
Here is video of his car and going across the intersection. I suppose this is still the Walmart parking lot. I was confused by seeing the buildings or apartments across the street. There is another video that shows the apartments, it looked like it may have been a block away. In any case it does seem to be at the far end of the parking lot by the street. So had he gone to his car and they intercepted him there and not inside the store at all?
El Paso shooting suspect branded ‘weird’ boy who ‘would pick his nose and eat scabs’

Mental illness and antidepressants/SSRIs play a role in more mass shootings than people think. Being on or coming off of them messes with the brain chemistry and causes irrational thoughts and behavior compounding whatever mental issues they have along with the grudges and resentment

I'm a little behind here, so I can't remember if it was you or someone else who brought up SSRIs earlier regarding the recent mass shootings.

First, has there been any reporting that any of the shooters were taking SSRIs? If so I missed it so I would appreciate a link.

Second, I'm nearly 60 years old, and I've taken SSRIs more than half my life to deal with my debilitating depression, and I've gone on and off different ones during that time period, and never once have I had a desire to become a mass murderer. Not even a single murderer.

This feels very much to me like stigmatizing people who rely on SSRIs for some kind of quality of life as potential mass murderers when the vast majority of us wouldn't dream of such an action.

One thing that struck me odd is the hero story of Glendon Oakley. I'm new here so I'm not sure if I should start a different post or what? Something just seems off about his story and his interviews from the first one to his recent ones. He was in the middle of the mall at Footlocker and a kid runs in and says there's an active shooter at walmart which is from my approximation a half mile from foot locker. He continues to shop at footlocker and suddenly hears 2 shots? Inside a shopping mall? Then he runs out with a bag in one hand, gun in the other towards walmart with what I imagine would be complete chaos of people running towards him. Gets to Walmart and goes inside and is trying to scoop up kids while he's got a gun in 1 hand and his bag in the other? Something just doesn't seem right. I honestly feel like the most likely story is he came out of the main shopping center and saw everyone running towards him and tried to help confused kids in the parking lot. He had said he had police contact and had to show he was permitted to have the gun but unclear when that was happening was it when he was crossing the parking lot towards walmart? If it was how is it that he continued onto walmart with a weapon and police already actively looking for the shooter?

I just read there was 14 minutes before 911 was called. That is a lot of time, killer was going aisle to aisle and then left the store to go to his car.
Were victims too afraid to call police?
Any way that is enough time for kids to run to other part of the mall.
Listening again, I think it is likely that Oakley made mistake saying Footlocker and was the the sports jersey outlet nearer to Walmart.

I have not heard the full account, maybe some has been answered here but I have not read all. Witness statements that the shooting lasted 20 minutes, LE arrived 6 minutes after they were called and arrested him without incident. That would mean that even with many people in the parking lot and inside the store, no one called 911 for 14 minutes. And no one in the store tried to shoot him or take him down, 14 minutes. Then he must have left and got back in his car as he was arrested and removed from his car. Where was he when this occurred? It didn't appear to be in the parking lot.
I just would like to understand the flow because it doesn't make sense to me.
He was arrested in his car on the street, it appears in the video of him and his vehicle........ And on CNN tonight it was revealed that El Paso Police policy is to wait until 3 officers are on the scene before advancing on a active shooter situation.....moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12