Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also baffling to imagine motive. So they couldn't have gone for cash, they didn't keep the car...

Though I understand the detractions that failure to keep the car gives a robbery motive, the car was dealership owned in an age of tracking, that includes potentially tracking well, nearly everything.

In short, they could have intended to sell the car, but were refused by a potential illicit buyer who noted the dealership ownership and feared tracking. Or they formed an internal conclusion about the tracking possibility, or were advised by other criminals of it and encouraged to abandon the car.

Earlier in the discussion it was revealed that while tracking dealership and rental cars is technologically possible, the system(s) need to be actively enabled and that dealerships and rental car companies rarely, if ever do it.

But... the fact that tracking is rarely enabled, however, might not change the possible gangs perception that as the car was dealership owned, it was actively being tracked.

Though I understand the detractions that failure to keep the car gives a robbery motive, the car was dealership owned in an age of tracking, that includes potentially tracking well, nearly everything.

In short, they could have intended to sell the car, but were refused by a potential illicit buyer who noted the dealership ownership and feared tracking. Or they formed an internal conclusion about the tracking possibility, or were advised by other criminals of it and encouraged to abandon the car.

Earlier in the discussion it was revealed that while tracking dealership and rental cars is technologically possible, the system(s) need to be actively enabled and that dealerships and rental car companies rarely, if ever do it.

But... the fact that tracking is rarely enabled, however, might not change the possible gangs perception that as the car was dealership owned, it was actively being tracked.
Excellent point! That's a quite believable scenario.

The motives behind carjackings vary. It’s not always about the monetary value of a vehicle. Sometimes, it’s about the need for a getaway car. It can also be about wanting an unrecognizable car to commit some other crime (like a drive-by shooting). It could also be about nothing more than the thrill of a joyride, especially for juveniles who think the law doesn’t apply to them.

The motives behind carjackings vary. It’s not always about the monetary value of a vehicle. Sometimes, it’s about the need for a getaway car. It can also be about wanting an unrecognizable car to commit some other crime (like a drive-by shooting). It could also be about nothing more than the thrill of a joyride, especially for juveniles who think the law doesn’t apply to them.

Absolutely. Thank you for pointing this out.

Absolutely, but in which of those scenarios is hiding the driver's body so well it isn't found for months in America's 9th largest city plausible?

Re: Alan meeting up with someone during a tight morning schedule

In trying to think through this, I can only come up with a couple of scenarios in which Alan would agree to meet up with someone that morning (which I am leaning toward):
  1. He left something — or something went missing while he was at the gym — and the person who had it suggested that s/he’d run it over to where he was because it was on their way as well.
  2. He was supposed to get something like hard copy documents for work that day. I understand he was working from home, but presumably he also had physical office space in Dallas.
The problem with both scenarios is why not simply have the person meet or drop off something at his house? In the first scenario, he may not have known the person well, or the person suggested the initial meeting place. In the second, though, I wouldn’t think there would be an issue with a coworker coming by and even dropping something off if Alan wasn’t home yet.

In either scenario, why not give his husband a heads-up?

A distant third scenario would something he didn’t want his husband to know about, and that could be innocent (friend in distress) or less innocent (romantic or drug exchange), but there’s no evidence to support this. Moreover, I’m not sure how long the call was supposed to be — or how busy his schedule that day — but presumably he could carve out more than 10 minutes later on to meet up with someone away from the house. However, it would explain why he didn’t alert his husband that he might be a few minutes behind schedule.

I think AW's disappearance was either related to a domestic situation - or to an assault, armed robbery/extortion and kidnapping. The last three fit into MY definition of carjacking. AW may have been targeted because the car and his appearance made him appear wealthy.

As others here have pointed out, a carjacking is often not just about car theft. In fact, imo, a carjacking in which the sole purpose of the crime is just to steal the car should instead simply be referred to as a car theft.

I have never felt that AW's car was the target of this whole thing. I agree with those who have pointed out that a car jacking (if you consider carjacking to only be a car theft) doesn't fit the facts as we know them at all; most importantly, where is AW?

The car was way to trackable, way to noticeable, very high end, owned by a dealership - it was just way too hot for a theft (idk, maybe a joy ride). This is also supported by the fact that the car was dumped so quickly in south Dallas. Again, imo, this was not a car theft. But it may very well have been a carjacking as I described a carjacking in the first paragraph.

If assault, armed robbery/extortion (forcing someone to access their ATM's and financial accounts) and kidnapping were the crimes (just like Hedgerow DR carjacking / aggravated kidnapping on Nov. 4) , not only would we (the public) not know that this was going on (because both LE and the family would specifically NOT be telling the public a thing) - but, very likely the car WOULD have been found, and AW would NOT have been found. It fits.

A worst case scenario could also have occurred: what if an assault, armed robbery/extortion (for ATM and account access) and kidnapping (for ransom from family) was underway... but before negotiations could be finalized and a hostage-for-ransom exchange arranged, the perps were arrested and jailed by DPD for a totally unrelated crime?

What if those same perps (who might be the only ones who know AW's whereabouts) are presently sitting in the Lew Sterrett Jail, and not talking? AW could still be at whatever location the perps had been holding him on Nov 3 before their arrests. Pure speculation, but again, it all fits. I hope LE has at least considered it.

I only think that what I've just suggested (which at this point I admit is nothing but conjecture) is worth considering because of the parallels between the two crimes, specifically the location, the time of day, and the fact that the Hedgerow Dr. crime occurred two weeks after AW's disappearance (and at Hedgerow and Lemmon Ave).

This is a scenario in which "carjacking" (but not "car theft") and all the other facts of the case as we now find them (like no word of cc usage; no word of ransom demand; the car has been found; AW has not been found) fits.

And I think it's at least a possibility that AW's missing person status was changed by DPD to "endangered" after LE (possibly) was told by the family that there had been a ransom demand made (again, only if one had been made) . Lots of speculation, but it fits.

The other scenario that I still think is a possiblility in AW's disappearance is domestic in nature (also mentioned in first paragraph). It is one we presently cannot sleuth though due to TOS.

All jmo

If you make a body disappear, you most certainly would not let somebody or anybody find the car. Period.

I read a lof of carjacking theories. But IMO you won't let the opportunity to sell such a luxury car slip by. No way.
Or just stripping it down would make a profit alone.

I still think there is a reason why his husband immediately went looking for him. He must have had a feeling something was not right from the start. Because he did not waste a minute, I mean literally.

But yet, in reality, tracking systems are fairly easily disabled and professionals in car theft/chop shops know how to do this.

The longer cases like these go on without a body found, the more my mind drifts to wondering if the person left voluntarily.
While anything is possible, I have that speculation ranked as a very low possibility. There is nothing in his actions or the profile that we know, that would suggest that.
But, anything is possible, just not probable.

amateur opinion and speculation

While anything is possible, I have that speculation ranked as a very low possibility. There is nothing in his actions or the profile that we know, that would suggest that.
But, anything is possible, just not probable.

I am struck very often in these situations by how little we really know about a missing person or crime victim. How many times have we heard the sad story about a perfectly normal, upstanding citizen who we find out later had (pick one: a drug, gambling or alcohol problem, a serious mental illness, mental deficiency, a criminal history)? Not saying Allen had any of these things, just saying that if he did it’s extremely unlikely we would have heard about it, especially given the very limited press this case has gotten.

The thing I always come back to is how quickly his husband got in his car and started looking for him. (Gave me Maddie Bell vibes.) It just seems to me there are so many reasons a person could be late returning from an early morning gym visit (car broke down, minor fender bender, got pulled for running a red light and cop detained him because the car wasn’t registered to him, ran into old friend and chatted, time got away from him and he realized he had to take his conference call in his car somewhere). Very surprised an alarm would be raised so soon. Makes me wonder if there’s something important about Allen or their relationship that we don’t know.

<Respectfully snipped by me>
The thing I always come back to is how quickly his husband got in his car and started looking for him. (Gave me Maddie Bell vibes.) It just seems to me there are so many reasons a person could be late returning from an early morning gym visit (car broke down, minor fender bender, got pulled for running a red light and cop detained him because the car wasn’t registered to him, ran into old friend and chatted, time got away from him and he realized he had to take his conference call in his car somewhere). Very surprised an alarm would be raised so soon. Makes me wonder if there’s something important about Allen or their relationship that we don’t know.

There was some solid rationale upthread about why a couple might use different gyms, and why Alan may have chosen a gym further away from his house than others.

When I go through the tight timeline from that morning, I wonder why they were on the same workout schedule since they didn’t go to the same gym. I can see that it could simply be routine and sometimes partners adjust to the regular schedule of the other. Me? I’m probably not getting up at 4:30 am unless the house is on fire. :D

Is it true that he went into the gas station and walked around for a moment before leaving? The scenario in my head is that he went to make one more stop after getting gas, looking for whatever he didn't find inside the gas station store. Maybe some fancy creamers or donuts? Is there a grocery store nearby he could have stopped at?

It takes all of 2 seconds for someone to jump into your car and force you to drive somewhere. It was still dark at that time of morning so if he pulled into another store and someone jumped in and forced him to drive, it may have gone unseen. If that's the case, I'd search all the nearby open space. I can see a scenario where he was forced to drive, decided to stop the car and try to run- with the perp catching up to him.

Voluntary disappearance doesn't fit here for me - he had family at home, and why work out and gas up before all that? he was too successful to want to leave without arranging for at least some of his money to be available to him. LE would certainly have already followed his money by now.

Elicit hook-up also doesn't make sense to me. If he liked to cruise and hook up - there's certainly plenty of other opportunities - and not something i can see him trying to fit into a 10 minute window before dawn. On a day he had meetings and family time planned.

What happened in that 10 minutes / 1.5 miles that gave opportunity for something to change the course of his morning?
MOO.

A couple questions I am pondering...

1) why haven’t we heard about any LE searches for Alan?

In cases where a missing person’s car or bike was found not far from wooded areas, there is usually all sorts of media coverage about the man power put into acres and acres of searches. Why was that not done here? Ideas??
A) the search was done, but secretly as they build a case?
B) they already know something that indicates a search of that area would be useless (eg footage of a person driving and dumping that car and it was not Alan AND/OR they have surveillance footage of attack elsewhere or know that Alan was never at the site where the vehicle was located ETA: Or they have footage of Alan being moved to another vehicle and driven off or to another location or knowledge of a kidnapping )?

To me the lack of announced searches near the vehicle site is the strongest indicator that LE may have evidence this was not a suicide.

2) does anyone know the laws/rules about obtaining cell phone ping locations?

It was not a very busy time of day when Alan disappeared. Could LE or the PI have a way to obtain which cell phones were at same locations as Alan or his vehicle without necessarily having enough for a warrant for a specific suspect’s phone records? I realize there may be some civil liberty issues involved...

3) why are LE being so tight-lipped, especially like the specific location where the vehicle was found?

One hypothesis is that they do not think the public can or will help. Why would that be?

A) They have evidence Alan was never at the vehicle site so not relevant?
B) It’s down to gang crime and they have enough footage to know that but not enough to make an arrest? maybe lack clear enough photos of suspect to be worth putting to Public?
C) maybe already identified suspect in footage or vehicle evidence but just quietly still working to build case to make an arrest?

MOO - all just guesses and theories I am pondering ...

Last edited:
Im starting to believe this case is as random as Leslie Baker who was shot and killed in her Preston Hollow driveway. Dallas has suddenly become a concerning crime hub. So sad all around.

Teen accused in shooting death of Dallas woman was also involved other assaults, affidavit says | wfaa.com

amateur opinion and speculation
I have thought this for a while now. I know we can't live our lives in constant fear, but it is certainly disturbing how many people just vanish. Obviously some of those are voluntary, but my experience here at WS makes me think a vast majority are victims of purely evil people who are getting away with their crime(s).

2) does anyone know the laws/rules about obtaining cell phone ping locations?

It was not a very busy time of day when Alan disappeared. Could LE or the PI have a way to obtain which cell phones were at same locations as Alan or his vehicle without necessarily having enough for a warrant for a specific suspect’s phone records? I realize there may be some civil liberty issues involved...

MOO - all just guesses and theories I am pondering ...

I agree with your lack of searches suggests not suicide. I'm guessing on the rules on cell phone pings. It appears to me that LE are able to get the missing person's cell phone pings if they have evidence that a crime has been committed or time has elapsed with no contact. It seems that way in other cases.

Could LE get a tower download in a particular area like they did in the Missy Bevers case? I'm betting that a judge would want evidence of a crime being committed and a good likelihood that the person that committed it would be in the tower download. Does LE have evidence of a crime? Again, just my speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003