GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Tarrant County medical examiner says a girl who was sexually assaulted and murdered in July died after being smothered by plastic bags.

The Star Telegram also said police believe Tyler Holder acted alone.
They believe he used his mother's car on the day 6-year-old Alanna Gallagher of Saginaw was killed.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23587...-girl-smothered-by-plastic-bags#ixzz2gZOCXT1U
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...rge-in-killing-of-6-year-old-saginaw-girl.ece

Okay he used his mothers car, they believe. Where was his mom?

Okay he used his mothers car, they believe. Where was his mom?

Seems most likely she was at home. If I recall correctly, they had the house set up in such a way (two master bedroom suites) that she might have just gotten home from work and gone directly to her own rooms.

Again, I'll stress that (IMO) LE has been very thorough in this situation (other than perhaps being unprepared for TH to be armed) and a little girl is dead. I believe that if Mom was directly culpable/had knowledge, she would also be in jail right now. They also went out of their way to state he acted alone.

(FWIW...while I've gone to some trouble to say I don't think Mom was involved and that I don't think she could have known what her son would do, that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that she was likely very checked out. I would probably be too, in that situation, because I don't see what a parent could do with him. Forced rehab, military school? Dunno, wasn't he a legal adult? I guess she could have kicked him out, but then we would be blaming her for THAT after something like this happened.)

It looks like the initial court appearance may have been postponed (read it on the fb page) I was monitoring news and twitter yesterday but could not find any mention so that makes sense. Wonder why?

Have I missed where TH was getting all of his money?
Just wondering if the child support was given directly to him by his mom, or if he had an illegal money making way.
LE sees the gross pictures on your phone so you immediately go out and get a new one? Not everyone that age can do that but perhaps he told his mom that his was broke.
As for the mom not knowing what was going on with and who her son was/is, I find that not believable. I'm okay with others that can bellieve it. I know plenty of people that check out on their kids throughout the childhood and adult life but they still know. They just choose to stick their head in the sand and pretend they don't. Do I blame her though? Some I guess. That said I'm not her and haven't walked in her shoes and hindsight is better than foresight. I think there would have been signs all along the way that TH just wasn't right. I know how some parents love with all their might and honestly can't see until it's so far along they don't know what to do with their child anymore. How to fix them. Never had any idea they wouldn't pull out of it.
I do feel bad for this mom in some ways. As much as I would like to think it would/never could happen to me I'm sure there is a lot more out there that think the same and their child eventually murders someone.
MOO

I highly doubt his mom knew about his online activities, or anything that went on while she was at work. MOO, he was probably doing a variety of illegal things to get money.

A single mother working long hour to pay the bills and then on top of that take care of all the other necessities that have to be done, just to survive and maintain a home, doesn't have a whole lot of time to watch over a 17 going on 18 yr olds back. You go to work, eat, sleep and get up to do it all over again. Unfortunately, that's just life for many.

I think he probably did most of his illegal activities from the home when she was at work, or at night when she was asleep. He most likely told her he was looking for work during the day. He really could have told her all kinds of lies for what he was doing and she wouldn't have known different.

I can see how she would be blind to a lot of it, if he kept it on the low when she was home and awake. Honestly, she probably didn't know what to do with him. There aren't a lot of options for supervision of an adult child with a car.

I don't know the answer to this problem. There are many kids near that age that get on the wrong path. Everyone doesn't have family to help. Community resources for troubled youth aren't readily available. We don't know what she may have tried in the past. Even so, by the time they reach his age, these kids are going to do what they want and there really isn't much of anything a parent can do to stop them.

I wish we had the answers. There are so many near his age in my city and others involved in gang activity. These "kids" are cold blooded murderers, killing each other. They need good mentors, from an early age on.

Have I missed where TH was getting all of his money?
Just wondering if the child support was given directly to him by his mom, or if he had an illegal money making way.
LE sees the gross pictures on your phone so you immediately go out and get a new one? Not everyone that age can do that but perhaps he told his mom that his was broke.
As for the mom not knowing what was going on with and who her son was/is, I find that not believable. I'm okay with others that can bellieve it. I know plenty of people that check out on their kids throughout the childhood and adult life but they still know. They just choose to stick their head in the sand and pretend they don't. Do I blame her though? Some I guess. That said I'm not her and haven't walked in her shoes and hindsight is better than foresight. I think there would have been signs all along the way that TH just wasn't right. I know how some parents love with all their might and honestly can't see until it's so far along they don't know what to do with their child anymore. How to fix them. Never had any idea they wouldn't pull out of it.
I do feel bad for this mom in some ways. As much as I would like to think it would/never could happen to me I'm sure there is a lot more out there that think the same and their child eventually murders someone.
MOO

A mother knows if her child is NOT sane, and up to no good. You might not know exactly but you know, if you are around and paying attention.
TH was not right in the head for a long, long time.

I think the confusion of him using "Mom's" car is that she owned both vehicles. He did not own his own car, he did not work to have the money to own his on vehicle. I still think that the reason for his haphazard actions was that he was hurrying before his mother returned home.

He told LE that he went for a job interview that day.
Probably asked his mom if he could use her car to go to the interview.
He could have dumped her body and gone on to the interview.
LE probably checked the location of the interview. If he did in fact go on it.

I think he probably had a nice income from his Craig's list activities.

You can love your child but not be able to fix them. Sometimes kicking them out or getting them help is for the greater good.

I think a lot of parents just let their teenagers hold them emotionally hostage when they become a problem. They know their parents won't kick them out or do anything so the kid gets away with murder.

I think more parents should be sued. Th and his mom were fb friends. I'm sure she never suspected him a murderer. But pot smoking is one thing, ok I can deal but then your kid gets a certain kind of reputation for carrying pipes around the neighborhood, up all hours, strange behavior, that you start to think what a minute here.

I just get aggravated with so many lost and angry teens out there doing terrible crimes and everyone afraid of the elephant in the room. Mental illness.

You can love your child but not be able to fix them. Sometimes kicking them out or getting them help is for the greater good.

I think a lot of parents just let their teenagers hold them emotionally hostage when they become a problem. They know their parents won't kick them out or do anything so the kid gets away with murder.

I think more parents should be sued. Th and his mom were fb friends. I'm sure she never suspected him a murderer. But pot smoking is one thing, ok I can deal but then your kid gets a certain kind of reputation for carrying pipes around the neighborhood, up all hours, strange behavior, that you start to think what a minute here.

I just get aggravated with so many lost and angry teens out there doing terrible crimes and everyone afraid of the elephant in the room. Mental illness.

I agree.
Perhaps this needs a separate thread so not to upset others that disagree.
But, if I knew my drug taking dropout son was up at night bullying others I would have done something about it.
If he was going to classes and doing well and a good kid who smoked pot occasionally I would probably let it slide but the bullying and craigslist ads would set me off!
What help does a single mom have? Can she have him arrested or taken for mental eval? What's the most effective ways to seek treatment for someone like TH before he crossed the line to raping and murdering an innocent child?
All I know if I found out my son did what he did he'd need protection from me. I would not hire him an attorney, and baby him. I'd tell him to confess or else. Tough love.

I'm not upset by "this would never be MY kid" arguments and I don't think a separate thread is needed, but I'm curious what people think a parent with a child like TH (who had not actually hurt anyone at that time, apparently) should have done. Have him arrested for what? That's all I'm really asking, what a tangible solution would have looked like. Rehab may have temporarily gotten him off weed and booze but it wouldn't have given him a brain or any ambition. I suppose intense therapy may have helped. It's almost like he needed to be in an assisted living facility or something, it doesn't seem like be would have ever been able to function in the real world.

I agree.
Perhaps this needs a separate thread so not to upset others that disagree.
But, if I knew my drug taking dropout son was up at night bullying others I would have done something about it.
If he was going to classes and doing well and a good kid who smoked pot occasionally I would probably let it slide but the bullying and craigslist ads would set me off!
What help does a single mom have? Can she have him arrested or taken for mental eval? What's the most effective ways to seek treatment for someone like TH before he crossed the line to raping and murdering an innocent child?
All I know if I found out my son did what he did he'd need protection from me. I would not hire him an attorney, and baby him. I'd tell him to confess or else. Tough love.

I agree with your approach. It's the what do you do part that becomes the issue. We don't know what she did or tried to do. We have no way of knowing this. I wonder if she had security camera's and weapons in the home for a reason. Maybe she was afraid of his associates.

I doubt she knew about CL. How would she unless she was browsing the site? We really don't know what all she knew about, except the pot is pretty given I think.

What do you do if a kid that age refuses to go to counseling or any other services? She could have him arrested for his drug use, but they won't keep him long. She could send him off somewhere. I don't know much about that though, but I've heard horror stories. The cost is probably very high to do that as well. If he refused to cooperate in that scenario, they would probably send him back home. She could throw him out of the house, but not until he turns 18. Throwing him out won't change him wreaking havoc on the community though.

It's very important to get troubled youth services, as soon as you see the signs when they are young and continue with those services. Although it may help the majority of children, it doesn't mean that it will prevent "all" children, even if they get services, from growing up and doing horrid things. Some are just non compliant and evil.

I'm not upset by "this would never be MY kid" arguments and I don't think a separate thread is needed, but I'm curious what people think a parent with a child like TH (who had not actually hurt anyone at that time, apparently) should have done. Have him arrested for what?

I read that he was causing problems in his neighborhood. Maybe his mother was aware. If she wasn't, I would be surprised. I don't think he should have been necessarily arrested for any of those other episodes. It is possible she had him involved in special treatment programs for whatever it is that was the issue with him. On his fb page, he had taken off at least once and people were looking for him.

Do we know yet who started the fire(s) before his arrest? I'm inclined to believe it was him. I agree with the elephant in the room i.e. mental illness. However, sexual violence and deviancy is something I truly don't believe can be controlled or treated. Clearly, he was addicted to smoking pot to the point where he needed to hook up with strangers to acquire his "420" fix. I have to wonder if his mother was spending time elsewhere and leaving him alone in the home?

I'm not upset by "this would never be MY kid" arguments and I don't think a separate thread is needed, but I'm curious what people think a parent with a child like TH (who had not actually hurt anyone at that time, apparently) should have done. Have him arrested for what? That's all I'm really asking, what a tangible solution would have looked like. Rehab may have temporarily gotten him off weed and booze but it wouldn't have given him a brain or any ambition. I suppose intense therapy may have helped. It's almost like he needed to be in an assisted living facility or something, it doesn't seem like be would have ever been able to function in the real world.

Great question. Rehab for the harder drugs and sex addiction.
Not sure if they have a place to treat predators. Mental health issues needed to be addressed but have no idea if Texas even has proper facilities for it.

I agree with your approach. It's the what do you do part that becomes the issue. We don't know what she did or tried to do. We have no way of knowing this. I wonder if she had security camera's and weapons in the home for a reason. Maybe she was afraid of his associates.

I doubt she knew about CL. How would she unless she was browsing the site? We really don't know what all she knew about, except the pot is pretty given I think.

What do you do if a kid that age refuses to go to counseling or any other services? She could have him arrested for his drug use, but they won't keep him long. She could send him off somewhere. I don't know much about that though, but I've heard horror stories. The cost is probably very high to do that as well. If he refused to cooperate in that scenario, they would probably send him back home. She could throw him out of the house, but not until he turns 18. Throwing him out won't change him wreaking havoc on the community though.

It's very important to get troubled youth services, as soon as you see the signs when they are young and continue with those services. Although it may help the majority of children, it doesn't mean that it will prevent "all" children, even if they get services, from growing up and doing horrid things. Some are just non compliant and evil.

I agree with you. I have no idea what she could have done legally.
Some kids do get thrown out and it doesn't solve any problems.

Snipped

I don't think any ANY kind of help for a troubled person will help unless that person wants to help him/her self first. So I don't think anyone can help a druggie unless that druggie wants to do it first... Example: My son (whom I love dearly) was arrested for a DWI. Well I did not give him any money for his charges. His 2nd DWI, he spent 10 days in jail and had to pay more fines. He did tell me jail was the worst place to be and he never wants to go there again. I said good because the next DWI you get will be a felony and I don't plan on paying for a lawyer for you but I will indeed visit you as much as I can because I love you.

You can't help somebody if they don't want to help themselves. JMO

Great question. Rehab for the harder drugs and sex addiction.
Not sure if they have a place to treat predators. Mental health issues needed to be addressed but have no idea if Texas even has proper facilities for it.

The Tarrant county hospital, JPS, has a great psych department and unit. There is also another psych unit close by. However, we don't know what she has done or not done for TH. His father wasn't in the picture and her family wasn't either, so it seems she was truly alone raising him, most likely leaving him without supervision a lot to work. Did the neighbors call LE when he was menacing with the pipe? I don't remember. But only calling LE each time he acted out would have led to his mother knowing what he was doing in the neighborhood. I don't think neighbors telling her themselves would have done much good. It sounds like the neighborhood was terrorized by TH. Little Alanna...she liked him anyway...would go talk to him in the garage...and the predator showed her no mercy.

MOO

The time for help would have been a long time ago.

Dealing with issues of anger and abandonment, for a couple of issues I see.

Was he sex abused by someone in the past?

Who knows what happened in his life that should have been addressed.

The time for help would have been a long time ago.

Dealing with issues of anger and abandonment, for a couple of issues I see.

Was he sex abused by someone in the past?

Who knows what happened in his life that should have been addressed.

yes, I agree.

A mother knows if her child is NOT sane, and up to no good. You might not know exactly but you know, if you are around and paying attention.
TH was not right in the head for a long, long time.

I am not sure I agree with this.

I have so many friends who are oblivious to their kids problems. They are involved moms/dads, loving, caring- it's in no way a lack of love. It's a head in the sand situation. I can honestly say I am not like that so it's sorta hard for me to grasp. I tend to take the bull by the horns... but a dear friend, gosh, her kid... ugh, anyway, I've encouraged her to do what I've done in the past- random drug tests. She firmly believes there is no reason, her son would never do such a thing. (And lawdy at the stuff WE did in high school! ha!) He's overall a good kid, but IMO, drug use needs to be addressed and a parent needs to be aware of it. Thinking back to the way we were in HS, I am surprised she is as clueless as she is... she just sees a halo over her sons head. Me? I see horns until they SHOW me the halo- hubby has told me to trust them just a little...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn
Back