Found Deceased TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020 #2 *suspect commits suicide*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am always at the front of the initial "husband defense team" but in this case, when in the beginning a friend makes a statement to police like "She told me that her husband chokes her out" and then later the official cause of death is ruled strangulation...

I'll just say that I guess it's possible that friend might have known the person who actually strangled her and made a false statement to implicate the husband or it's also possible the real killer was aware of her husband's pattern of assault and chose their murder method to implicate him but Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is by far the most likely.

ITA. There are anomalies, but statistics don't lie.

Does anybody actually believe any of those girls will be called to testify in a case against anybody?
How might a defense attorney for the actual killer question them?
It's not like they didn't know better, they were told in no uncertain terms to refrain.
They refused.
Why?

Some people are just blabbermouths and can't shut up if their life depended on it. I know several. I avoid them because you can NEVER get a word in edgewise. I also believe they really, honestly believe he did it and THAT is why they can't shut up about it. Even though they not only should shut up, they were asked to stop talking. Hopefully it won't hurt a case if one ends up being made. That would be a real jaw-dropper for them. And the sad part? They likely wouldn't even realize it was their actions that could hurt a case. Again, if one is made. No POI at this time.

Lexi's friends - if you're reading this... Shut. The. Heck. Up. Button it. Zip it. Enough. Let LE do their jobs. You're not helping by blabbing at every given opportunity.

Statistics are not facts or evidence either...
Some murders are for profit too...
Were any of her work colleagues trying to get her clients and accounts following her death? Is that why they were not following LE directions?
True.
There are lies, damn lies and statistics. (olde saying)
Some people may have been jealous of her looks success and lifestyle.. she may have had a boyfriend...
so many possibilities and we know so little it is impossible to even hazard a guess without a known POI.

<modsnip>
I don't even have a single working theory.
I know I've not seen all the characters so I have no way to assess them.
What the husband has going for him is that he manages to keep a lid on it, not rushing around meeting all the media and the podcasters and the circuit in general.
For that reason, I consider him more respectful to Alexis.
I think her friends disrespect her and that upsets me, particularly if what they say is the truth, I don't know whether it is or not.
There is nothing to gain for her memory or her case by going so public so soon , except notoriety and short lived fame. So, with them, I simply cannot.

Last edited by a moderator:
We may not all agree on how they did it, but the friends had to speak up and be a voice for Alexis.

jmo

Why though? To make it more difficult for a fair trial to be had? They were asked by LE not to speak publicly and influence the investigation/public opinion and they ignored that request - not helpful nor respectful to the deceased or the legal system, imo.

BTW, if I were a juror, I might be fairly suspicious of someone running around accusing someone else of previously doing what the deceased died of (nice way to try to frame someone, eh?). You can bet the defense is going to make much of it.

Moooo

Why though? To make it more difficult for a fair trial to be had? They were asked by LE not to speak publicly and influence the investigation/public opinion and they ignored that request - not helpful nor respectful to the deceased or the legal system, imo.

Moooo

Like I've said a few times now.... Some people are blabbermouths and just can't keep quiet. And not everyone in the world is high on common sense. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. If the police asked me to keep it quiet you wouldn't hear another peep out of me on the topic. But that's me. Not everyone thinks the same way.

BTW, if I were a juror, I might be fairly suspicious of someone running around accusing someone else of previously doing what the deceased died of (nice way to try to frame someone, eh?). You can bet the defense is going to make much of it.

Moooo

As I said, we may not agree about how they went about it, but information they had been given from Alexis needed to be shared - perhaps only to LE privately. AS isn’t here to speak for herself.

We don’t know what will happen at a trial or what defense will do. There hasn’t been an arrest. We don’t know where the investigation will go. The information about AS’s experience is just one facet of the case. It can mean nothing, or it can mean everything.

I’m trusting LE to take everything into consideration and to thoroughly investigate her homicide, and not rush to judgement.

jmo

Did ARS' Friend say Afraid of Husband?
@MoeInVA Thanks for your post. Just adding a quote from your link to Dec. 3, 2020 article.

"ABC13 spoke with three friends close to Sharkey who simply called her "Lex or Lexi." Lauren Breaux, Ally Cale, and Courtney Ehninger said their friend feared for her life and was worried about her safety in the weeks leading up to her disappearance."

"When asked who Alexis was worried about, they remained silent." bbm

Moooo

Almost certainly, if you were a juror, you wouldn’t hear a peep about what the friends are saying in the media (I was a juror in a murder trial and didn’t see or hear ANY of the media until the moment after we were released from our sequester). It’s hearsay/prejudicial and not direct or circumstantial evidence and won’t help either case - prosecutor or defense. Jurors can only make a decision based on evidence presented in the courtroom. (And you wouldn’t be selected as a juror anyways if you’re familiar with the details.)

We may not all agree on how they did it, but the friends had to speak up and be a voice for Alexis.

jmo
Reportedly, friends reported AS missing to the police and I'm very grateful for that. Now that we know this is a criminal investigation, and AS was strangled, I think it's a disservice to AS-- and the investigators, to keep talking. MOO

Did ARS' Friend say Afraid of Husband?

@MoeInVA Thanks for your post. Just adding a quote from your link to Dec. 3, 2020 article.

"ABC13 spoke with three friends close to Sharkey who simply called her "Lex or Lexi." Lauren Breaux, Ally Cale, and Courtney Ehninger said their friend feared for her life and was worried about her safety in the weeks leading up to her disappearance."

"When asked who Alexis was worried about, they remained silent." bbm

Yes. I think we all know in that 12/3 abc interview the Monat friends declined to name the cause of the fear that AS expressed to them in Marfa because they said they didn’t want to hurt the investigation.

@Inquisitive2018 asked if there was a link to shed light on who AS feared.
The link I provided was to the earlier 11/30 Daily Beast story in which friends recounted in detail what AS told them in Marfa. While it doesn’t use the word “afraid,” I believe the article addresses the question that was asked in plain language we all understand , such as: “putting hands on her” “strangles me” “chokes me out” and “physical abuse”.

Key section:
Despite her sunny online persona, multiple friends said the 26-year-old had a troubled relationship with her new husband, Tom Sharkey, whom she married in December.

“Her and her husband were going through a divorce,” one friend said. The decision to end her marriage, the friend said, came after a girls’ trip to Marfa, Texas, last month, where Sharkey claimed her husband “had been putting hands on her.”

“Throughout the trip, he was sending really awful, nasty messages to her,” the friend said. “But one night when she and I were talking alone she said, ‘He strangles me and chokes me out and I blackout and wake up on the bathroom floor every single time.’”

Two other friends also told The Daily Beast that Sharkey had complained about physical abuse and said her husband could be “controlling and manipulative” in group settings.

Between 11/30 and 12/3 the Monat friends obviously decided they needed to be careful about what they said. I don’t think some of the friends were as careful as I would advise, though I don’t think there has been any MSM coverage of LE on the record at all telling friends not to talk. On the otherhand, AS mother has been on the record saying she believes the media coverage is helpful for pushing for a thorough investigation. After the friends attended the memorial with her family, the Monat friends and AS mom did another round of interviews. It seemed to be approved by the family. JMO.

Reportedly, friends reported AS missing to the police and I'm very grateful for that. Now that we know this is a criminal investigation, and AS was strangled, I think it's a disservice to AS-- and the investigators, to keep talking. MOO

I am aware of the original reports from the friends just after AS was found. But I haven’t seen anything in MSM that they are still talking. I had thought they had been honoring the request from LE since that time. No? I may have fallen behind, national news has been all over the place with the election and Capitol fallout.

ETA: Just so I’m clear, is the line of thinking that the friends should have only reported AS missing, and not report what else they knew - even to POLICE? Or is the issue that they went public?

Last edited:
Almost certainly, if you were a juror, you wouldn’t hear a peep about what the friends are saying in the media (I was a juror in a murder trial and didn’t see or hear ANY of the media until the moment after we were released from our sequester). It’s hearsay/prejudicial and not direct or circumstantial evidence and won’t help either case - prosecutor or defense. Jurors can only make a decision based on evidence presented in the courtroom. (And you wouldn’t be selected as a juror anyways if you’re familiar with the details.)

That's the problem, they have already said things publicly, to the prospective pool of jurors. During voir dire the prospects will likely be asked about what they've heard/read and if it impacted their view of the accused (whomever that may turn out to be).

And even if the answer is 'No, I can be unbiased and rely only on the evidence', you can't unring the bell. They have intentionally cast suspicion, and the whole town has heard/read it, and the more they talk, the harder it will be to find jurors who haven't heard or have been swayed by it.

That's the problem, they have already said things publicly, to the prospective pool of jurors. During voir dire the prospects will likely be asked about what they've heard/read and if it impacted their view of the accused (whomever that may turn out to be).

And even if the answer is 'No, I can be unbiased and rely only on the evidence', you can't unring the bell. They have intentionally cast suspicion, and the whole town has heard/read it, and the more they talk, the harder it will be to find jurors who haven't heard or have been swayed by it.

What if their suspicions were later proven to be true? Should that information be brought before a jury?

With the prevalence of social media, what’s heard and read is pretty much a factor in virtually all high-profile cases. I have a little more faith in juries and the justice system than to believe someone would be convicted solely because of what was said by friends, without any corroboration.

jmo

What if their suspicions were later proven to be true? Should that information be brought before a jury?

With the prevalence of social media, what’s heard and read is pretty much a factor in virtually all high-profile cases. I have a little more faith in juries and the justice system than to believe someone would be convicted solely because of what was said by friends, without any corroboration.

jmo

It should be brought before the jury in the courtroom yes, not disseminated to the prospectives beforehand, as I'm sure LE impressed upon the friends.

ETA: Just so I’m clear, is the line of thinking that the friends should have only reported AS missing, and not report what else they knew - even to POLICE? Or is the issue that they went public?
^^rsbm

I don't think anybody here is advocating that anybody with information-- friend or otherwise, should withhold information from LE.

I believe search warrants will reveal information that can be used in court and the DA will decide if the information and evidence are sufficient to bring charges.

I don't think anybody other than LE should be speaking publicly about the case after the manner of death revealed this to be a homicide. All that talk needs to remain in the popular, private, social media forums. JMO.

^^rsbm

I don't think anybody here is advocating that anybody with information-- friend or otherwise, should withhold information from LE.

I believe search warrants will reveal information that can be used in court and the DA will decide if the information and evidence are sufficient to bring charges.

I don't think anybody other than LE should be speaking publicly about the case after the manner of death revealed this to be a homicide. All that talk needs to remain in the popular, private, social media forums. JMO.

Yikes! I am not LE and here I am talking... :eek:

I do agree potential witnesses should stay quiet now, even on social media. They may already have lost their opportunity to be a witness if this case ever gets charged and moved to trial.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back