Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An argument, squabble, disagreement, sass, backtalking, laying down the law.

Many terms used by people in talking about that kind of parent or guardian and child disagreement.

Moreso it is the child that tries to argue about a rule or something they were told to do. But debating this kind of word choice reported by the news, early in the incident, is not helpful imo.
It sure wasn’t… I was quick to judge as well and I feel very badly about that.

What is that expression in his mug shot? It's not anger. It's not guilt, sorrow or remorse.
This monster actually looks like he's about to smile.
Am I the only one seeing that?
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one seeing that.
Ugh.
He doesn't appear remorseful at this time.
I guess we should be glad there's a confession.

He won't be smiling where he's going, if he gets put into general population.
What in the world makes anyone do something that puts them behind bars , prob. for life ??
Nothing is worth that.
Nothing.
M00.

The driveway was 149ft (calculated by OP I responded to). I rarely see the same FedEx driver in my area, especially around the holidays - and we get A LOT of packages. I’m not sure if you can pick and choose a specific area. Athena being outside at that precise time in the rural countryside would be like winning the lottery for a pedophile/predator.
I have drivers who leave packages at the end of driveway by the gate but most bring to my front porch. I thought the package was delivered to a neighbor? I speculated it was the one across the road and he was headed back by Athena’s driveway.
If it was her home, he could have easily dropped it off on the porch and made the circle turn in her driveway. I can’t imagine he was that “ballsy” - if so, that’s terrifying.
I mean the whole thing is inexplicable and horrific. “Ah, done dropping off a package here. Oh! There’s an unattended child! Let me grab her real quick and kill her. That sounds like a plan.”

How does this happen? Surely he knew ring videos would show he was near the child when she went missing. And I just cannot understand, no matter how many decades I’m on here, why someone would have the urge to harm a child. And then give in to that as well.

So many steps to bring someone to this point. How does he get through life, able to hold a job, with this sickness and predatory drive inside his head?

Ugh.
He doesn't appear remorseful at this time.
I guess we should be glad there's a confession.

He won't be smiling where he's going, if he gets put into general population.
What in the world makes anyone do something that puts them behind bars , prob. for life ??
Nothing is worth that.
Nothing.
M00.
That’s my question. How does that urge arise? What is so compelling about hurting a small child that someone would suddenly grab a baby, while on the clock on top of that, and not only murder an innocent child but also ruin their own life.

It’s like some sort of animal that sees prey and instantly takes advantage of the opportunity. So gross.

That’s my question. How does that urge arise? What is so compelling about hurting a small child that someone would suddenly grab a baby, while on the clock on top of that, and not only murder an innocent child but also ruin their own life.

It’s like some sort of animal that sees prey and instantly takes advantage of the opportunity. So gross.
I suspect this guy has harmed people--women, children--before. Because he didn't kill, and our culture doesn't encourage SA victims to come forward knowing the high burden of proof required of them and that they will likely be disbelieved/damage relationships with people apt to trust the perp, he got away with it. I think investigators may find CSAM on his electronics. I think this is merely the first time he had an opportunity to take it this far. Just a guess, we'll soon see.

I suspect this guy has harmed people--women, children--before. Because he didn't kill, and our culture doesn't encourage SA victims to come forward knowing the high burden of proof required of them and that they will likely be disbelieved/damage relationships with people apt to trust the perp, he got away with it. I think investigators may find CSAM on his electronics. I think this is merely the first time he had an opportunity to take it this far. Just a guess, we'll soon see.
There definitely could be some gross stuff on his electronics. But it is possible he hasn’t touched anyone until now. Sometimes it is a sudden crime of opportunity. So bizarre and gross.

A lot.
Children with emotional issues, learning difficulties, trauma, mental health issues. There's so many variations to the dynamics between child and parent, not everything functions perfectly for everyone. It's not rare. It's just that people who experience this as parents, usually don't speak about it to other parents. Not many people want to openly discuss something like this, because they usually fear being judged and side eyed by people who have no understanding of what having a difficult situation like that is really like.
There may well be an issue with the step-mom, but it's also very believable that the child could have thrown a tantrum, argued and ran away. I also would put no stock in what the bio-mom or bio-mom's family would have to say in regards to what the child would or wouldn't do, simply because of the awkward dynamics between biological father, step-mom and bio-mom.
Well said!

If the perp hasn't so much as touched a child inappropriately and just now decided to not only kidnap but murder a seven year old .... holy heck.
It's like a sudden demonic energy consumed him, maybe after years of fantasizing about doing this to an innocent ?
In broad daylight, no less.
Imo.

It ;
Snipped by me.

No it definitely does not. Mind you, if he told them where he'd placed her can't see anyone being able to get him out of that one!

Unless of course he wasn't read his miranda rights before he told them :oops:

His confession is the icing on his conviction cake, they’ll have plenty of evidence.
The Sheriff of Wise County is a former Texas Ranger. He quickly called for the assistance of the Texas Rangers. They are our state TBI, and they are the best there is.
I fully expect this will get the Death Penalty

IMO

What is that expression in his mug shot? It's not anger. It's not guilt, sorrow or remorse.
This monster actually looks like he's about to smile.
Am I the only one seeing that?
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one seeing that.
Some creators have shared many images of this guy, not one has a genuine human smile.
All of them have ”I think I’m smarter than you” eyes, and “I think I’m gorgeous” expression, and then there is that “duper’s delight smirk”.
Soon all three of those inhuman expressions will be gone when his new reality sinks in.
He is a big guy at 6’3” 220lbs, so he may not have felt small and weak since he was a kid, those days of freedom and control are over
JMO
Looks like he may have reasons for those smirks, victims are coming forward!

Last edited:
Another monster and another innocent lost. Another heartbreak....I wish with all of my heart that there were predictors readily apparent. I just don't know what else to do. When I'm out, ws's has taught me to be a vigilant observer at all times. Thank God for the tip.

Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said Saturday that it was a “crime of opportunity” when 7-year-old Athena Strand was kidnapped and killed this week.

FedEx driver Tanner Horner was making a delivery to Athena’s home Wednesday when he committed the crime, Akin said.

A FedEx spokeswoman said “words cannot describe our shock and sorrow at the reports surrounding this tragic event,” and “we continue to cooperate fully with the investigating authorities.”

This is not the first time a FedEx driver has been accused of violent crimes.

Emphasis mine.

So, not premeditated ?
I assumed it was not, when it was said in the presser that the families and the perp didn't know each other.

But regardless of that, there's ample evidence that should hopefully put him away for good.
imo.
My non lawyer opinion (so JMO) is that a crime of opportunity and premeditation aren't mutually exclusive. My understanding is that legally premeditation can occur in minutes. IOW once Horner saw a victim - and made the decision to abduct her - it became a premeditated act. And certainly he made a choice to murder her and probably to assault her so there's no getting around a planned crime, even if it only formed at the moment he decided to take Athena.

I also think (IMO) that even though he confessed we'll still see a "not guilty" plea at his arraignment. Good news is that it won't help him. I think we're going to see a DP conviction. All Moo.

To add:

Deliberation and premeditation mean that the prosecutor must show that the defendant developed the conscious intent to kill before committing the murder. This is a low threshold and does not require showing that the defendant created an extensive plan before he committed the act (although that might sometimes be the case). Rather, deliberation and premeditation require only that the defendant paused, for at least a few moments, to consider his actions, during which time a reasonable person would have had time to second guess such actions.

If the perp hasn't so much as touched a child inappropriately and just now decided to not only kidnap but murder a seven year old .... holy heck.
It's like a sudden demonic energy consumed him, maybe after years of fantasizing about doing this to an innocent ?
In broad daylight, no less.
Imo.
I agree. He lost all reasoning in the moment and couldn't stop himself. I bet there is history of people feeling something off about him.

My non lawyer opinion (so JMO) is that a crime of opportunity and premeditation aren't mutually exclusive. My understanding is that legally premeditation can occur in minutes. IOW once Horner saw a victim - and made the decision to abduct her - it became a premeditated act. And certainly he made a choice to murder her and probably to assault her so there's no getting around a planned crime, even if it only formed at the moment he decided to take Athena.

I also think (IMO) that even though he confessed we'll still see a "not guilty" plea at his arraignment. Good news is that it won't help him. I think we're going to see a DP conviction. All Moo.
Agree

There's no defense
And no plea bargaining either for LWOP imo

Another monster and another innocent lost. Another heartbreak....I wish with all of my heart that there were predictors readily apparent. I just don't know what else to do. When I'm out, ws's has taught me to be a vigilant observer at all times. Thank God for the tip.
It is so sad the times we live in. We can't help but be vigilant and hyper focused. I'm finding myself highly anxious when out and about. Yesterday I felt so uneasy in Walmart I left my buggy in the aisle and went home. As adults we should be able to live our lives. And this world's children should be able to live, play, and grow up to be great adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14