Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess it's because two girls have accused him of raping them when they were in their teens. If he'd been prosecuted for those rapes he would be an RSO and likely unable to obtain employment as a FedEx driver. JMO

Edit: nevermind i read it again and realized she specifically called out FedEx for bringing danger to people's homes.

Even if she does not win anything in this, it could put more pressure on businesses like fed ex hiring outside workers to put more safety precautions in place maybe? Could be her goal.

What kind of safety measures can delivery companies put in place that could of prevented what happened?
I think most of these companies track their trucks and deliveries. I don't know what the requirements are to be a driver other than having a valid driver's licence.
Drivers for the most part work alone and do not have vulnerable people in their care so I don't know if criminal record checks or child abuse registry checks would help.
I don't know what this delivery company could have done that could have changed the trajectory. It was a crime of opportunity.

What kind of safety measures can delivery companies put in place that could of prevented what happened?
I think most of these companies track their trucks and deliveries. I don't know what the requirements are to be a driver other than having a valid driver's licence.
Drivers for the most part work alone and do not have vulnerable people in their care so I don't know if criminal record checks or child abuse registry checks would help.
I don't know what this delivery company could have done that could have changed the trajectory. It was a crime of opportunity.
Honestly not sure either. That's why it was a question. I don't know the background fed ex pulls for its employees or contract employees.

This article makes it seem like they are just making sure this could not have been prevented somehow. So digging deeper into whether could this have been prevented with 360 cameras? Cameras inside? tracking capabilities? Did he have a background check and did he clear it?

But it could also just be some lawyer company who reached out to her and said we can do ___ and win you ___ and she went with it. But that is all just my random thoughts.

"
The mother of Athena Strand has retained lawyers who say they will “leave no stone unturned” in seeking accountability for the 7-year-old’s death last week, allegedly at the hands of a FedEx contract driver. “Corporations like FedEx are welcomed at our homes to bring packages to our doorsteps, not danger,” said Benson Varghese, managing partner of Varghese Summersett Injury Law Group, in a prepared statement.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article269730021.html#storylink=cpy"

I am wondering if family wants to place some responsibility on killer's employer?
I think you’re correct, but I don’t understand how this is their fault. He had a *clean* background with no criminal history. How were they supposed to know he’d do something like this?

I say *clean* because of the rape allegations (which I personally believe wholeheartedly). At the same time FedEx likely didn’t know about that and shouldn’t be making judgements on employees based on heresay anyway. However, LE certainly should’ve done something to investigate and prosecute those charges…

Totally agree and they can’t even keep up with the demands now of consumers waiting things delivered - myself included.
This is absolutely not FedEx’s fault in any way.

I suggest this gently: I can think of about five to ten million reasons why a grieving parent might be convinced by attorneys to legally pursue FedEx here. I personally don’t believe it’s FedEx’s fault/negligence or the subcontractor’s fault, but am also aware that (1) FedEx is insured for a scenario such as this; (2) they will wish to resolve this in private settlement to minimize the headline risk and (3) a settlement might help stabilize a grieving family, particularly siblings/other children. I didn’t say five to ten million from a place of hyperbole. I don’t expect we will ever know the amount, it’ll be under non-disclosure agreement by mutual parties (aka NDA). But it will happen.

DEC 7, 2022
[...]

Investigators are keeping information about the case involving the murder of 7-year-old Athena Strand close to their vest. However, there are some new details about Athena's accused killer who is behind bars at the Wise County Law Enforcement Center.

"He's in a single cell by himself," Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said. "Just not near booking."

Akin said he has his deputies keeping a close eye on accused killer Tanner Horner. He expects to have the 31-year-old's case turned over to the District Attorney by next week.

Akin also said there is still information coming in from the public that his investigators are following up on so that they have an airtight case against Horner—especially since they plan to seek the maximum punishment against him.

"Because of the age of that child and because it was an abduction, we are going to pursue the death penalty," Akin said.

[...]

DEC 7, 2022
[...]

"We believe Athena had just walked away, which she had done before, but she always came back. Unfortunately in this situation and this time, she didn't come back. Unfortunately, she'll never come back, and it just it just hurts us, it's something that we will carry with us in our careers for years and years to come," said Akin.

The 7-year-old's stepmother told law enforcement that Athena went missing around the same time they received a delivery from FedEx, and Akin said that information helped investigators.

[...]

"The digital evidence that came to light and then it was just good police work," said Akin about finding the suspect.

He said that evidence helped them locate the truck.

Tanner Horner, 31, was pulled over in the southern part of Wise County for a traffic stop according to Akin. He said the suspect was in a FedEx truck.

"We took him into custody and then the investigators went about the business of conducting interviews and we ended up with a confession," explained Akin who said he could not talk about what was specifically said.

The sheriff said during the confession, the suspect led authorities to the child's body at the water bank of the Trinity River.

[...]

While the main part of the case has been solved, the sheriff said there is still more work to do before they hand everything over to the district attorney.

"We want to make sure that this is done properly so that the person who did this evil deed on a 7-year-old, receives the punishment he deserves," said Akin

[...]

The only thing I can think of is looking at the applicant’s social media. There was a rape allegation posted on social media. But who knows if employers look at those accounts or if they would believe what is posted. I’ve known a couple of people that got fired from their jobs because of posts they made on FB but whether a potential employer could use such statements in their decision making process, I don’t know.

The only thing I can think of is looking at the applicant’s social media. There was a rape allegation posted on social media. But who knows if employers look at those accounts or if they would believe what is posted. I’ve known a couple of people that got fired from their jobs because of posts they made on FB but whether a potential employer could use such statements in their decision making process, I don’t know.
Employers are already viewing applicants social media and googling applicants. Everything cannot always be captured. Even with criminal background checks. It's not 100% foolproof, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase