TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a feeling IMO, that these 3 new charges are for the girl that posted everyhwere Tanner SA her 13 years ago and she was 16 Yrs old if I remember correctly.
It very well could be however, there was more than 1 victim so these don’t all pertain to the original girl who spoke out.

Okay - from yesterday I have not been able to access the Wise County court system anymore - will need help when those charges are finally filed - anyone want to help me on this? TIA!

Merry Christmas Glitters Smiley
I'm happy to do what I can! I was able to access, but nothing comes up in a search of the docket.

I'm happy to do what I can! I was able to access, but nothing comes up in a search of the docket.

Thank you! I shall write you name in my notes! :)

edited to add - I just tried the court site - and it works for me today. So I will leave your name on my notes - JUST in case I can not access it later. :)

Thursday, January 5th:
*Initial Hearing (Tarrant County) – (@ 10am CT) - TX - Athena Presley Monroe Strand (7) – (last seen near the 200 block of County 3573 on Nov. 30, 2022 in Paradise. Reported missing by mom @ 6:40pm on 11/30/22; found deceased along the water’s edge of the Trinity River southeast of Boyd on the evening of Dec. 2, 2022 about 9 miles from her home). *Tanner Lynn Horner (31) arrested & charged (not formally) (12/3/22) with capital murder (under the age of 10) & 1st degree felon aggravated kidnapping. & (on 12/21/22) 3 counts of sexual assault. Bond $1M (murder) $500K (kidnapping). DA will seek DP (12/7/22). Wise County
*Charged (12/21/22) with 3 counts of sexual assault under 17 (from 2013). Bond @ $45K $15K for each count. Surety Bond Total $1,545,000. DA will seek DP (12/7/22). Tarrant County
Case info from 11/30/22 thru 12/2/22 reference post #923 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...y-rd-3573-paradise-30-nov-2022.648145/page-47

12/4/22 Update: Arraignment or initial hearing set on 12/5/22 per Chitbrick (heard on news)in Wise County. Hearing did NOT happen. 12/7/22 Update: Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin confirmed they will seek the death penalty against Horner. He expects to have the 31-year-old's case turned over to the District Attorney by next week. The stepmother told law enforcement that Athena went missing around the same time they received a delivery from FedEx & Akin said that information helped investigators. "The digital evidence that came to light & then it was just good police work," said Akin about finding the suspect. He said that evidence helped them locate the truck. Horner was pulled over in the southern part of Wise County for a traffic stop according to Akin. He said the suspect was in a FedEx truck. "We took him into custody & then the investigators went about the business of conducting interviews & we ended up with a confession," explained Akin who said he could not talk about what was specifically said. The sheriff said during the confession, the suspect led authorities to the child's body at the water bank of the Trinity River.
12/8/22 Update: The disturbing details of Athena's death came to light Thursday in a newly filed arrest affidavit for contracted FedEx delivery driver Horner. In a confession to investigators, Horner reportedly said he had finished delivering a package at Strand's home in Paradise. He said he was backing up his FedEx truck, when he accidentally hit Athena with the truck. Horner told investigators that Athena was alive, but was not seriously hurt at the time. He said she was talking to him, even telling him her name. Video from inside the truck showed Horner talking to Athena. The delivery driver said he panicked & put her into the van. Horner then attempted to break the 7-year-old's neck to kill her. When that didn't work, he strangled the girl in the back of the FedEx van. The delivery driver said he strangled the girl because he was afraid she was going to tell her father that he hit her with the van. Authorities say Horner then directed investigators to CR 4668 in Boyd, where he dumped her body into the water. The official cause of death for Athena has not been released at this time.
12/12/22 Update: Wise County judge sealed the Probable Cause affidavit for Horner to give the family & community time to process Athena’s death. There are a few new details from the case as communities across North Texas gather to remember the 7-year-old with candlelight vigils.
12/21/22 Update: Wise County jail records now show he's also facing three counts of sexual assault on a child. However, these charges are not related to Strand's death & appear to have been filed in Tarrant County. The charges are related to three separate incidents which all occurred in 2013 in Fort Worth, Tarrant County. An investigation by the Fort Worth Police Dept. determined Horner allegedly sexually assaulted children under the age of 17 on three separate occasions in June, August & December of 2013, according to charging documents filed Wednesday. The minor victims were not identified. Next initial appearance in Tarrant County on 1/5/23 @ 10am.

JAN 19, 2023
Thousands of toys and a single message arrived at Cook Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth on Thursday morning: all in memory of one little girl.

[...]

Last September, Athena was a patient for three days at Cook Children’s. And during her time there, nurses gave her a cotton candy pink teddy bear. Athena’s mom said it quickly became the pink-obsessed little girl’s favorite.

“It was her favorite those last few months,” Gandy said. “And she slept with it every night.”

It was a bear Athena loved so much, they buried it with her.

[...]

Anything happening with either case? I am not finding anything on him on either Wise or Tarrant counties court sites.

TIA if anyone can find something! :)

I can't access this article but will leave it here in case someone else can.

I can!

"Republican Lynn Stucky [Denton] has filed the “Athena Strand Law” to delay the release of people accused of certain crimes when they post bail...'Our justice system is designed to fairly deliver due process,” Stucky said in a statement. “However, the system should also be bolstered to protect child victims from their attackers. I believe all Texans will support protecting our communities and ensuring that we keep dangerous criminals who prey upon our children behind bars.'"

I can!

"Republican Lynn Stucky [Denton] has filed the “Athena Strand Law” to delay the release of people accused of certain crimes when they post bail...'Our justice system is designed to fairly deliver due process,” Stucky said in a statement. “However, the system should also be bolstered to protect child victims from their attackers. I believe all Texans will support protecting our communities and ensuring that we keep dangerous criminals who prey upon our children behind bars.'"
Thank you! :)

Neither the Tarrant County or Wise County have anything on him...

Not sure what is going on with his cases....

Anyone find anything recent?

Last hearing for the sexual assaults in Tarrant County was on 1/5/23 & the murder case in Wise County last hearing on 12/5/23.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back