TX - Austin Package Bombs #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to remove the end cap and light it. You can't just pick it up and it light itself.

I'm not yet buying that this latest incident isn't connected. We'll see.

Me either SuziQ. It is too much of a coincidence.

Thanks. Were both of them headed to addresses in Austin? I guess they have not made public where the bombs were headed?

A flare has to be lit somehow.

Maybe it was a flare gun and the worker inadvertently set it off or triggered it. Maybe it was an old flare that was chemically unstable.

There's a slight chance maybe the employee was smoking. I doubt it though.

David Begnaud
‏
Verified account

@DavidBegnaud
7m7 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: A law enforcement source tells CBS News that the incendiary device left at an Austin, Texas Goodwill drop off location was a flare. It was included in a bunch of donated items. As the goodwill worker sorted through the items he was apparently burned by the flare.

If this is true then it is not related.

Thank you arkansasmimi.

Tricia

ATF HQ
‏Verified account @ATFHQ
Follow Follow @ATFHQ
More
BREAKING: ATF responded to a reported incident in the 9800 block of Brodie Lane, Austin. It was not a package bomb. An incendiary device was located, one injured. At this time, it does not appear to be related to the #packagebombmurders.

David Begnaud
‏
Verified account

@DavidBegnaud
7m7 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: A law enforcement source tells CBS News that the incendiary device left at an Austin, Texas Goodwill drop off location was a flare. It was included in a bunch of donated items. As the goodwill worker sorted through the items he was apparently burned by the flare.

JMO
There were multiple reports of a loud boom so maybe whoever put the item in the drop box rigged it somehow to a flare to start a fire along with a small explosion.

We know the bomber has been changing tactics so it would not surprise me if he changed tactics again.

Here are the main things why I think this still could be related

-Flares just do not light on fire by themselves
-Reports of a loud bang by multiple people
-Reports of an injured employee having to go to hospital
-The bomber person is known to change tactics like the trip wire and different ways to deliver packages

Of course it could have been a copycat person trying something of their own.

Whatever and whoevver it was it is awful.
Thoughts and prayers for people in Austin.

Goodwill Austin
‏@AustinGoodwill
Senior Leadership and authorities are investigating a possible explosion at a south GW store. It is our understanding that a Team Member is being treated for non-life threatening injuries. In an abundance of caution for our Team and customers, all Goodwill Stores will be closed.
8:10 PM - 20 Mar 2018

Doesn’t this seem too coincidental though? Either it’s the bomber and he’s run out of ready-made supplies or it’s someone trying to get a kick out of enacting copycat behavior IMO.

Ugh so not a fan of him. Hope he didn’t just interfere with an active investigation by divulging info he shouldn’t have.

Agreed. He is under investigation himself.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/N...-to-Central-Texas-FedEx-Center-477438863.html

In tweet, the Austin Police Department and the ATF said it was not a package explosion at a Goodwill store in the southern part of the city. Austin police said items inside a package were "an incendiary device." Police went on to say "we have no reason to believe this incident is related to previous package bombs."

Gerald Davis, President of Goodwill told NBC News' Gabe Gutierrez that an employee was looking through a bag of donations when he noticed a flash. He said the employee had minor injuries to his hand.

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, a Republican from Austin who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said that investigators have obtained surveillance videos that "could possibly" show a suspect, but are still poring through video.

"They've got a couple of videos that could possibly be the person but they're not sure at this point," McCaul said.

A criminologist at the University of Alabama said if a single perpetrator is behind the blasts, changing the means of delivery increases the bomber's chance of getting caught.
"I think it would suggest that the bomber is trying to stay unpredictable," Adam Lankford said. "But it also increases the likelihood that he would make a mistake."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne