TX - Austin Package Bombs #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Psychopath is someone who has no empathy. Which sure fits him, so I think he knew what he was. Considering he blew himself up, and suicide seems to have always his end game, he had no clear reason to make it up.

Some people seem to be confusing psychopath and psychotic. They are not the same thing at all. Psychotic is someone who has psychosis. Psychopath is someone who has no empathy.

"Psychopathy is among the most difficult disorders to spot. The psychopath can appear normal, even charming. Underneath, he lacks conscience and empathy, making him manipulative, volatile and often (but by no means always) criminal."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/psychopathy

As mentioned previously, I think the "othering" of those who had different beliefs than him played a big part in why he was able
to be so callous. I get that he probably had things in his personality that make him a self-described "psychopath" but radicalization compounded this.

Insane behavior based on cultural/social beliefs used to be the norm like lynchings and picnics at said lynchings -- modern Americans can't understand why exactly people in the olden days were able to display such cruelty and still be functional in society or otherwise law abiding citizens -- it had to do with othering of the targeted group.

All the "psychopath" thing is going to do is let people dismiss his actions as a one-off, rare, and see it as having no bearing/no cultural relevance. The dismissal by use of the mental health diagnosis for a legitimate pathology will only lead to more circular talk about "mental health" and people will continue to be surprised when things like this happen.

I understand that psychopaths are real but there is much more going on here. And if we are going to learn anything we'd better look at everything, not just a label people will use to take the easy way out versus actually talking about components of domestic radicalization of young people and why cases like this are happening more frequently.

One more thing: The mass murderers being "psychopaths" works like a panacea or snake oil for what's really going on. It's something people use to explain things but there's much more to learn. It's a band-aid on a severed limb.

He called himself mentally ill in his confession tape.

As far as I can tell he called himself a psychopath. It others that took that and started to claim he called himself mentally ill. I think it's a given that he was a psychopath, considering he said he felt no remorse for his actions.
It wouldn't have qualified him for not guilty by reason of insanity.

As far as I can tell he called himself a psychopath. It others that took that and started to claim he called himself mentally ill. I think it's a given that he was a psychopath, considering he said he felt no remorse for his action.
It wouldn't have qualified him for not guilty by reason of insanity.

Arrgh. That's what I get for reading too many articles. I wish instead of partial quotes and "he said" comments they would give us at least a partial transcript.

Thanks.

I very much disagree with you about the police chief. I live in Austin. I think Manley did an excellent job throughout this crisis. I felt well-informed and reassured that LE was doing their job. When he commented on the video tape, I took it that he was relaying what he heard MAC say and he wanted to relay to the public that he heard nothing on the tape to indicate any particular individual or group was targeted. I did not hear him "ooze love" nor did I in any way feel disrespected. I am a big supporter of our police chief (and BTW was a huge detractor of our previous one). I see the dust up about Manley's comments as much ado about nothing.

“But instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point.”

Gross. Just oozing sympathy. "A very challenged young man.." Nothing about the cowardice and evil that must exist for a creep to do something like this.

I feel this is very disrespectful to the victims and the inhabitants there even if you as a citizen personally do not feel disrespected by his comments or that his overall approach to this crime mitigated those comments.

He sounds like someone who had a personal connection to the murderer rather than someone who is supposed to protect the city.

a few details from Dallas paper-

Conditt took classes at both the Northridge and Round Rock campuses

He worked at a gymnastics gym

He worked at repairing computers

MOO- The video of him in the FedEx store show a guy much heavier and bulkier than earlier photos, the photo
from last year visiting his grandmother in Colorado show him in a winter jacket but his neck looks much bigger
and bulkier. I wonder if he was working out and doing steroids. He was pretty puny looking in earlier pics.
Steroids will cause quick muscle buildup when lifting weights. Steroids also can cause "Roid Rage".
Since he wasn't working a real job, he had plenty of time to work out. Would also explain sudden rage. ???

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/03/21/mark-conditt-know-austin-bombing-suspect

Except this was no sudden rage. This was dispassionate, methodical, purposeful, cunning and took tons of planning and super calm execution.

Thanks BettyP. I can see I'm not the only one disgusted by the chief's description of this murderer:

Indeed, Mark Anthony Conditt may have been confused, troubled and angry. But he was not a victim. Let’s stop trying to convince ourselves that he was.
His relatives might have thought that he was “a great kid. He was smart, loving, kind.” Perhaps they really did have “no idea who this person is." But we all know now.
He was a self-described “psychopath” who reportedly left behind a hit list of future targets along with a 25-minute unapologetic “confession” in which he said: "I wish I were sorry but I'm not," according to the Austin American-Statesman.
Such a monster does not deserve our pity.
If you need to feel sorry for a young person whose life was cut short in this tragic episode, don’t waste your time thinking about Conditt, who chose to blow himself up with one of his own bombs when cornered by police.

[L]et's stop coddling the memory of Mark Anthony Conditt. Instead, let’s be thankful that he can do no more harm.

From the link http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ustin-bombing-victim-kass-20180322-story.html posted above:

"Every once in a while, you see a kid that just has this spark," said William Dick, Draylen’s former conductor at the Austin Youth Orchestra.

"When Draylen appeared, in some sense he was incandescent, like a Rembrandt painting where the light sort of comes out of him,” Dick said. “He’s in the room and his little spirit was there, along with the technical proficiency he had.”

My heart breaks.

"Incandescent" perfectly describes Draylen. As I listened to him play, I felt a quiet, peaceful joy. He was the physical embodiment of a certain kind of rare, golden light - not a glaring light that demands attention. No - his was an elegant light that, when it shone, invoked an invitation, gently drawing one in to revel in the Beauty of Life.

This world is a dimmer place in the wake of his loss.

May we always remember Draylen Mason. May we always be grateful for the fleeting gift he imparted during his brief journey upon this Earth.

Oh my gosh. Beautiful post Sorrell.

In listening to John Lordan on You Tube (Lordanarts), he indicated the recent press reporting reflects the police were on to Mark Conditt for 24 hours before the final confrontation. If this is true, I'm wondering why they didn't release the name to the press requesting the man present himself to the police for an interview?

Ref: Youtube. Brainscratch: The 7th Bomb. Released March 23rd, 2018.

Why would the police let a suspect they're trying to catch know that they're on to him, thereby giving him the opportunity to escape or grab hostages or hole up with rigged bombs or whatever? That's not how it works. They don't politely invite a suspected mass murderer in for an interview. They follow him, create the safest plan possible and then grab him at a time and in a place where he is least likely to be able to harm anyone else.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/25293036/new-development-in-deadly-petersburg-fire

An example of naming a person of interest with a direct connection to an event, where the police let everyone know they are looking to talk with him.

It's an example.

That’s a case with, from what I understand, one crime scene and a single known suspect, not a fast-moving serial case with multiple crime scenes, thousands of leads and an unknown perpetrator and thousands of tips to sift through.

I don’t believe it would have been possible or realistic to “call out” Conditt and publicly request he come in for an interview. Realistically, police would have had to ask dozens of suspects to do that (which isn’t practical, imo).

Heck, police DID ask for contact, but another bomb went off instead.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/austin-bomber-narrative-trnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by enelram View Post
Bullet holes, I counted at least 9 maybe mor
e.

Looks like shrapnel to me. Some of the holes look like the metal edges are coming out, as opposed to going in. Some of the marks look like bulges from inside that didn’t make it through the metal.

Catching up so may already been answered.

If it were shrapnel from inside, I would think that the officer that was on that side would have sustained some injuries and so far (as again I am catching up) I had only heard that one was knocked down from blast and the other fired shots. But that neither were injured. :thinking:

UBM

I hope this is not against TOS, if there's a reason we're not use her name, but, the third bombing victim's name was released. I'll flag my post just in case it is not allowed.

Austin Bombing: Police Search for Motive (3/13/2018)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...xplosives-made-with-skill-and-sophistication/

There was also another article that named her and also a reporter spoke in that article with a lady 4 houses down who said LEO had came and questioned her (Erica Mason) because wanted to see if she was family of the 17 yr old victim and his mother who was injured. But was not nor did she know them.

As mentioned previously, I think the "othering" of those who had different beliefs than him played a big part in why he was able
to be so callous. I get that he probably had things in his personality that make him a self-described "psychopath" but radicalization compounded this.

Insane behavior based on cultural/social beliefs used to be the norm like lynchings and picnics at said lynchings -- modern Americans can't understand why exactly people in the olden days were able to display such cruelty and still be functional in society or otherwise law abiding citizens -- it had to do with othering of the targeted group.

All the "psychopath" thing is going to do is let people dismiss his actions as a one-off, rare, and see it as having no bearing/no cultural relevance. The dismissal by use of the mental health diagnosis for a legitimate pathology will only lead to more circular talk about "mental health" and people will continue to be surprised when things like this happen.

I understand that psychopaths are real but there is much more going on here. And if we are going to learn anything we'd better look at everything, not just a label people will use to take the easy way out versus actually talking about components of domestic radicalization of young people and why cases like this are happening more frequently.

One more thing: The mass murderers being "psychopaths" works like a panacea or snake oil for what's really going on. It's something people use to explain things but there's much more to learn. It's a band-aid on a severed limb.

:goodpost:

I agree. Much of what turns these people into cold hearted killers comes from their backgrounds, the environment in which they were raised. Something that causes them to become inoculated against the feelings of "other" people who are outside their special group. That feeling of superiority over others isn't something they're born with. People are taught to hate.

It's long past time for our society to come to grips with this problem. We're seeing too many of these violent, senseless crimes being committed by young people from "good" families, who have had every advantage.

This column may shed some light on the discussion

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/mark-conditt-austin-bomber-blog/

You're welcome. As of now, I've not learned the FedEx worker's name. Ms. Herrera's name has not been in the press much. I'm not sure why, unless, perhaps, it's because she is still hospitalized, and she nor her mother, have not spoken to the press.

Just thinking out loud and wondering since she was Hispanic. If maybe she was undocumented. She is still a victim, as is the mother of the 17 yr old. JMHO

With these articles describing how he evaded being caught, I find myself thinking... the next bomber is out there, making notes, and learning how to be more successful when he does it.

I know the public wants to know these details, but I wonder if we all might be better served by not having them published.

This is true. But could also go for any other horrific crimes. They always mess up though some how some way.

Does Facebook have a policy of suspending accounts of mass (or alleged) shooters and bombers? It seems like the same thing happened in another case. (I can't remember which one. Maybe the Pulse shooter, or the church in Texas.)

JMHO it is possible that FB did it after they rec'd the emergency search warrants from LEO. I know I have seen victims pages stay up and some memorialized, but as you said not many Suspects stay up. I am thinking it is a Facebook policy thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back