TX - Billy Chemirmir, Suspect in deaths of 22 elderly women, Dallas area, 2003-2018 *killed in prison by cellmate 2023*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Never mind the last post, I’m all caught up now (and hopefully can stay awake as I’ve pretty much been up all night). o_O
Bring on the livestream!

Was the hearing out of jury presence this morning regarding the cardboard box? I decided to watch the main trial first so I haven’t quite gotten there yet. I know they started late due to having a juror on the loose.
yes, before jury was sworn in

yes, before jury was sworn in

I found the livestream from earlier yesterday morning, so I’m caught up. It looked like the defense was raising issues about both the damage to the red jewelry box door and the fact that they put evidence into a cardboard box discarded into the trash. I can kind of see their point, though the jewelry box had already been found in the trash. I don’t think it should disqualify the evidence though.

Lu Ti Harris (known as Kim) was murdered by defendant, she was another women who was living a good life, sounds like she had lived a very full life in many countries, how sad that she suffered a brutal attack in her own home, and like Mary (a victim who survived) he took the rings off her fingers and the necklace and bracelets off her body as she lay dead or dying. The taking of extremely personal and sentimental jewelry from his victims just adds another layer to the callous nature of his crimes.

and here comes the Walmart video, ubiquitous within criminal trials, Walmart video evidence helps LE to solve so many cases, yet the stupid criminals continue to go to Walmart and we all get to see them leaving video evidence of them time and time again.

A new defense lawyer has just popped up and is reciting many constitutional statutes and law to try to get the judge to allow his statements to come in, judge is having none of it. Seems he did give statements to LE on two occasions and the defense characterized them as him being co-operative and want the jury to know about the statements for that reason, but for now the jury will not learn ab out them.

the witness who bought the ring off the defendant that belonged to Mary (the victim who he attacked but she survived) must have been horrified to learn where the ring came from when LE contacted him

Lengthy article.
Oct 2 2022 rbbm.
1664719680825.png
''DALLAS (AP) — After Mary Brooks was found dead on the floor of her Dallas-area condo, grocery bags from a shopping trip still on her countertop, authorities decided the 87-year-old had died of natural causes.

Even after her family discovered jewelry was missing — including a coral necklace she loved and diamond rings — it took an attack on another woman weeks later for police to reconsider.

The next capital murder trial for Billy Chemirmir, 49, begins Monday in Dallas in the death of Brooks, one of 22 older women he is charged with killing. The charges against Chemirmir grew in the years following his 2018 arrest, as police across the Dallas area reexamined the deaths of older people that had been considered natural, even though families raised alarm bells about missing jewelry. Four indictments were added this summer.''

Sorry and no offense meant towards the facilities where the elderly were killed ... but how the heck did he possibly murder a thousand ?
Police are going back are reviewing the deaths of elderly women who died in the Dallas area when Chemirmir was active to see if any of them seemed to be death from natural causes but actually match the MO for Chimirmir -- not that they think Chemirmir murdered 1,000 women. "...Following Chemirmir’s arrest, police across the Dallas area reexamined the deaths of other older people that had been considered natural, even as their families discovered missing jewelry..."

But good grief, he could have murdered so many women. Glad that he got life without parole.

At last, someone has published comments that highlight the role of ageism in law enforcement and profit-driven neglect and duplicity in the high end assisted living industry, as factors that let Chemirmir continue to kill and steal.

"Who did the killer target? Widows mostly, women living alone, but women of means with the resources to pay for what they believed was safe housing. Most of the alleged murders (plus two attempted murders) described in indictments against Chemirmir were committed in upscale senior independent living complexes. These places are heavily marketed to buyers as secure places to retire to, and they aren’t cheap — one rented apartments for $4,000 a month, and another required residents to buy in for as much as $1 million. But court records and police reports show that for the two years before Chemirmir’s arrest, the murder victims were robbed of tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of jewelry, including wedding rings and large collections of gold, diamonds and coins, as well as two safes. All too often, administrators at these complexes ignored the crimes — and, most important, failed to warn other residents about intruders, home invasions and major thefts."

“'When crime rates are rising in the major cities, the police and medical examiners would rather expend their forces on other crimes rather than on the death of someone who’s reaching their expiration date,' concludes Mitchel Roth, a criminal justice professor at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas, and an expert on serial killers who has reviewed the facts of the case. 'A police force also hates to admit there may be a serial perpetrator out there because it reflects badly on them. And the same is true of an upscale living facility. News of a serial killing there is bad for business.'”

Unnatural Causes: The Texas Serial Elder Murders (AARP The Magazine)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back