GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry, "private message". After you've posted a certain number of times or get special permission, you can PM anyone and speak privately. You can also exchange private email addresses or always stay anonymous through the WS PM service. Just look at the very top where your welcome is. Under that will appear the words "Private Messages".

Concerned,
Whenever we have a person who is saying they are involved in the situation (family, attorney, reporter, etc...) there is a verification process done by our administrator Tricia. I have asked her to verify you, as you seem interested in talking off the board - so you will understand if you get a message from her.
She does this with all family members and even if a person claims expertise in a area of focus in a case.

If you want to speed up the process - you can write Tricia here with your contact information: tgrif@xmission.com
(I emailed with her and she said to give you this information.)

I hope we hear soon if the dna matches the twilight rapist or not. Hopefullly the news in and around Moody and even back into the previous area are alerting people and covering this story. Neighborhoods and local police need to be on the outlook for this guy. That, or a well aimed bullet is what is going to catch this attacker. I still think there could be a crime spree of ex cons or gang members attacking the elderly to extort money and one was more perverted and became a serial rapist. It's just too weird for young dark skinned males to be getting into older ladies homes in Texas and Va. demanding money and/or raping. I hope concerned's relative can remember back to if any young men came around asking for a little work to do or a handout. The one lady who had the big dogs said there were lots of them around that summer in her town as she worked out in her garden.

Txsvicki--Just to be clear, I think you're referring to the Idaho story of the serial rapist which I linked to. That story had big dogs and a lady who worked in her garden. I don't think that's linked to Texas. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. BTW, the Idaho guy got life.

I've attempted to contact concerndgdaughter. Hopefully she'll write back to me.

And who is that in your avatar--a baby Chihuahua, a whippet, an Iggie? Whatever it is, can I pet him/her?

justthinkin--I agree with a lot of your possible theories but I strongly disagree that the initial motive is robbery. I don't see that as even an outside possibility. I think the only reason he scored the $10,000 or so in cash was that the poor woman offered it as a bribe not to rape her. He raped her anyway, IIRC.

I strongly believe the prior break-ins are to get a lay of the land, check for phones, surveillance, hearing aids, evidence of other residents, check the floor plan and to possibly intimidate. I read a comment a few months back which said that he'd used a toilet and not flushed it. That's classic for "organized rapists" from what I've read.

He goes in for the attack and takes a trophy. There's far easier ways to score money for drugs and forcing sex on an elderly lady is not every perp's cup of tea. He knows these women's routine and could easily (and does) break in and steal cash or valuables. He could probably break in while many of the ladies slept due to possible sleeping meds and hearing and vision deficits. He has easy access to any tangible things he wants. He just happens to want to rape.

No, IMO, he's exerting terror and control over a target group and he's got his game plan down to a precise science. JMO

Missizzy, I see my post has been taken wrong. My fault. I just wasn't clear. What I meant was that this guy probably started out burglarizing residences, and later graduated to rape. I did not intend it to mean that burglary is still his primary motive. Rape has definitely been his motive since January of 09.

Could this be as simple as this guy reading obituaries, picking up the name of the deceased, name of his widow, then tracking down the widow through an appraisal district?

I've wondered that also--or how about someone from the mortuary? Jeni, who's a member here on WS, has told some pretty gruesome stories about mortuary workers. We're not totally certain, though, that all these women are even widows. I've wondered if they might be retired teachers. There's been talk of a church connection (several were preparing very early to go to a service and one played piano at her church) but no comments about that in this most recent attack.

And thank you for clarifying your point. I did misunderstand. I wonder if a common thief would escalate to rape. Can anyone help out with that? You know, we do have the Lubbock guy who robbed the elder woman and raped her. I've always wondered about the pathology there. Is it totally about control and terror? Do they get in the house to rob and think they'll scare some poor little old lady out of her wits. He's going to run into another one with a gun...with her glasses on. And none too soon.

I also keep going back to widely varying comments I've seen here and there. LE said these women are "frail little things". There was that recent comment from the caregiver/housekeeper in Moody that the woman didn't get out much. Then, we have the lady who still had a job. We just are not being given the whole story. I know that LE owes "us" nothing, but they do owe the ladies of Texas a heads up about the rapist's target prey IMO.

One of the articles said that all the women were widows, but that was back when the count was 8 rapes and one thwarted rape by the 81 yr. old woman with a handgun & who knew how to use it.

I can't offer a clear answer your question, Missizzy. I would think there are burglars who would be opportunists, and rape occasionally during commission of a burglary or robbery, but I would think most true rapists start out mentally as such, seeing themselves in that role, but may commit lessor crimes first to build up confidence in themselves before advancing to rape, unless we are talking the worst variety of rapists, and I really don't want to talk about that type on here so as not to give anyone reading a wrong idea of the twilight rapist. He doesn't appear to fall into that category. Of course, there is no such thing as a good category of rapist, but some are usually less dangerous to their victims.

From the info we have, the twilight rapist seems to fall somewhere between a power aggressive rapist and a compensatory rapist with leanings towards him being more the former than the latter based on this assessment of rapist types:
http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/CPSG-5.htm

I was just studying a map of Central Texas. Have we thoroughly covered the Fort Hood angle? As far as I know there's one main entrance to Fort Hood--in Killeen, correct? That gate is 35 miles from Moody and much closer to several of the other towns which have had attacks. Maybe, he's originally from the Yoakum area or even the Youth Ranch and that's why he started out there.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out how this guy is avoiding detection with so many people looking for him. We know he almost taunts some of these women--playing with their minds--going into their homes before or after the attacks. That is a mighty bold man, if you ask me.

What if this guy has some serious military training and is playing this almost like a Ninja game? How else can he do the things he does and never get spotted. Southern neighbors are the nosiest in the world (a very good thing, BTW) and not a soul has thought back and remembered seeing a dark skinned young man in the area. What if he has reason to travel to recruiting sites or medical sites throughout the Central Texas area?

It doesn't add up. I'm getting tired of this "game" he's playing and it's got to stop.

That's my thought tonight....ninja.

The thought that he might be or might have been stationed at Fort Hood has crossed my mind too, esp. since Moody is located not far from the post.

The attack in Zabcikville was made on a woman who lived on Hwy 53. One of her neighbors reported it was the house 7 doors down from his. I was able to google his name, look him up, and find out where he lived. That lady most probably lived very close to Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville, something of a draw for people in the area or those who would make the drive to eat there. Her comings and goings may have been observed from that restaurant.

Now, I really like your thinking, Missizzy about him being military with stealth type training. Interesting idea!

The thought that he might be or might have been stationed at Fort Hood has crossed my mind too, esp. since Moody is located not far from the post.

The attack in Zabcikville was made on a woman who lived on Hwy 53. One of her neighbors reported it was the house 7 doors down from his. I was able to google his name, look him up, and find out where he lived. That lady most probably lived very close to Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville, something of a draw for people in the area or those who would make the drive to eat there. Her comings and goings may have been observed from that restaurant.

Now, I really like your thinking, Missizzy about him being military with stealth type training. Interesting idea!

I was playing around with the man on the street in google last night and I got so excited when I saw that there is a Texaco gas station about a block or block and a halfish from the last victim's house in Moody. My first thought was yes, surveillance tape - maybe he stopped in there......till I zoomed in and saw we are talking very old hometown USA - not corporate America like my area has. I bet this gas station wasn't even open at the time, but if it was I do hope they talked to who was working.
I wish all the seniors in the area had a personal security necklace and along with LE being called they each had a neighbor added to the list of who to call -- preferably one who packs a gun! I recently looked into this and found that one company has protection that instantly knows if the phone line has been cut and sends LE out immediately. I won't say the company name as that might be against the rules but here is what the website for them says:
AlarmPlus - an additional level of protection will be activated the instant the line is cut. When the phone line is disabled, a wireless signal will be sent to the central station and operators will dispatch the authorities. Other alarm systems will not send or receive a signal if your phone line has been cut, and as a result no authorities will be alerted of the break-in.
And no, I don't work for them or know anyone that does - just part of my own personal searching due to a stalker type situation.

The whole town pretty much shuts down at night- after 6/7- the grocery store, the gas station, the French Quarter (the burger shop).

I was looking for any new updates on the CenTex SR & found this old news...couldn't find it already posted in this thread or thread #1.

Police ask for FBI's assistance to profile serial rapist
Posted On: Thursday, Oct. 29 2009 04:10 AM

<snip>

The attacker targets elderly women living in a specific type of home, Walter said. The attacks happened in older-style brick homes with well-kept lawns. Walter believes the suspect targets these homes because the people who live in them appear to have more money.

"You could look at one house, go to the next house and the only difference might be a carport drive attached," Walter said.

The attacks startle the elderly women who have been unable to provide a coherent description other than that he is "soft-spoken," Walter said.

The locations have baffled investigators. The attacks in Leon and Lavaca counties occurred more than 170 miles apart.

"It's such a widespread area. It's really hard to predict which direction to go," Walter said. "I wish we could because we'd be waiting on him."

Investigators suspect the attacker cases the homes beforehand. He strikes between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. The attacker cuts off the home's electricity and sometimes removes phone lines.

During his escape, the attacker steals items; in past attacks, he stole a mounted deer head and a clock.

A quick-thinking woman thwarted an attack in Centerville Saturday.

The woman grabbed her gun when she heard the man approaching her bedroom. She pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired, Walter said.

The gun gave the woman time to escape out the front door. The attacker went out the back door.

The attack was the eighth attack believed to be related in the four counties since early this year. DNA linked several of the attacks in different counties. Not all of the attacks were sexual assaults. In some instances, only a burglary happened.

Bell County deputies will assist Leon County deputies at the community meeting Monday. Walter hopes the meeting will dispel rampant rumors.

One unsubstantiated rumor circulated that a recently released inmate was responsible for the attacks. Rumors create unnecessary panic in the small towns, Walter said.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=36700

Soooo - the SR doesn't *always* break into homes and/or attack in the wee hours of the morning...that's helpful to know.

I was looking for any new updates on the CenTex SR & found this old news...couldn't find it already posted in this thread or thread #1.

Police ask for FBI's assistance to profile serial rapist
Posted On: Thursday, Oct. 29 2009 04:10 AM

<snip>

The attacker targets elderly women living in a specific type of home, Walter said. The attacks happened in older-style brick homes with well-kept lawns. Walter believes the suspect targets these homes because the people who live in them appear to have more money.

"You could look at one house, go to the next house and the only difference might be a carport drive attached," Walter said.

The attacks startle the elderly women who have been unable to provide a coherent description other than that he is "soft-spoken," Walter said.

The locations have baffled investigators. The attacks in Leon and Lavaca counties occurred more than 170 miles apart.

"It's such a widespread area. It's really hard to predict which direction to go," Walter said. "I wish we could because we'd be waiting on him."

Investigators suspect the attacker cases the homes beforehand. He strikes between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. The attacker cuts off the home's electricity and sometimes removes phone lines.

During his escape, the attacker steals items; in past attacks, he stole a mounted deer head and a clock.

A quick-thinking woman thwarted an attack in Centerville Saturday.

The woman grabbed her gun when she heard the man approaching her bedroom. She pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired, Walter said.

The gun gave the woman time to escape out the front door. The attacker went out the back door.

The attack was the eighth attack believed to be related in the four counties since early this year. DNA linked several of the attacks in different counties. Not all of the attacks were sexual assaults. In some instances, only a burglary happened.

Bell County deputies will assist Leon County deputies at the community meeting Monday. Walter hopes the meeting will dispel rampant rumors.

One unsubstantiated rumor circulated that a recently released inmate was responsible for the attacks. Rumors create unnecessary panic in the small towns, Walter said.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=36700

Soooo - the SR doesn't *always* break into homes and/or attack in the wee hours of the morning...that's helpful to know.

Ugggggggggg - I would love to know if they have done a full profile on this guy. I think he has hostility issues relating back to a mother, teacher or women who had control of his destiny at one time. Perhaps a women who sent him to jail for a period of time. Perhaps an overbearing mom (CA comes to mind) and thus his need to control this group of women.
So if this article is correct:
1. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE AN ARTIST RENDERING OF THE BASIC TYPE HOUSE HE PICKS?
2. WHY IS THE PUBLIC NOT BEING SHOWN THIS ON EVERY POSSIBLE MEDIA OPTION AVAILABLE?
3 WHY IS THERE NOT A PROFILE DONE AND BEING DISTRUSTED?

Other questions - why is the description still so vague? Why no artist rendering?

I also think it is plausible that the perp spent time in Huntsville prison as if you look at his trail - he avoids this area. If they have reason to say that this is not a new release - then why not explain why? Besides, how about a not newly released? Obviously if he was a prisoner at one time he has been out over a year now.

I spoke at length last night with my mom's best friend who still lives alone in Liberty Hill. She's an active church goer, involved at the community center, still drives to Georgetown and Austin, and lives alone in a very nice brick home. She's 85 and terrified. She's got a computer and a cell phone and an alarm system but she swears that no one will tell anybody anything. She told me that all she learns is "through the grapevine" and that there's lots of ugly (probably untrue) rumors. I couldn't bear to tell her about WS because I think it would scare her more and I know she doesn't want to see all I write about child rape, etc.

My point is, here's our target victim and she knows nothing. I agree with NJ that more has to be done. Someone is going to get killed and I'm very worried that it's not going to be the rapist. I always have to remind myself that one woman had a stroke.

To address NJ's questions:

1) Because the house rendering would cover about 1/3 of the houses in small town TX
2) We DO need to have more TV and radio coverage/go to your target audience
3) A physical profile is not possible as his description is so vague. As far as a criminal profile, that's a good question. How many women have to be attacked before they do this?

I still think that there's many many more victims out there who have not come forward. This guy is having a lot of success in entering women's homes and fooling around. He's also stealing and then topping it off with a rape/assault and a possible re-visit. He's getting off on quite a progression of acts. If we could profile his target victim, I think that would tell us a lot about him.

Do men who rape elders go after a particular shape, size, skin color? Are they honestly acting out some childhood fantasy ie lashing out at a cruel foster or adoptive grandmother (being that he's dark-skinned and they seem white). Could he be bi-racial and have been treated cruelly by his white bio-grandmother. If he's in his 20's and the victims are 65-91, that would mean that he was born in the mid 80s when the grandmother would have been middle aged and up.

Maybe he was even conceived by rape and has anger about that and was treated badly by his family. To me, it seems like he's settling a score. He's taking things, he's terrorizing, he's forcing women into a vulnerable position. He's taking the upper hand, taunting. Is this what some rapists do? Turn the tables?

I have a feeling that possibly this man didn't get the opportunity to actually "pay back" the woman who hurt him so he's picking victims similar to her. Maybe he didn't have the courage to hurt her as he was still under her thumb. I'll bet, though, that he was stealing things and unsettling her by entering her house. Maybe her most precious thing was her clock or that darned deer head as a "real man" bagged that.

Once she died and I do believe she's gone, he played out his little game on others. I imagine that he started small. Following and stalking prey and then entering their homes. Then came the thefts and then the rapes. We'll probably never know when he started this. We need to look back several years to see if there have been other rapes of elders in Texas. I think he actually started escalating and will keep it up.

It's a distinct possibility that he's also the rapist in Mississippi. That could certainly figure in if he's military. We're so focused on Yoakum as three attacks (and presumably the first) happened there. But we can't be sure. That could have been the 10th.

If he's actually in his mid 20's, I can see him starting this behavior somewhere around 15. He could have been striking out at either the real grandmother or a teacher at that time. Are there any reports of odd crimes being committed in Texas against elder ladies in the last 10 years, not involving rape?

I can't get past the Ninja/disguise/clandestine thing. He's really really getting off on this. I'm starting to thing that there's only two possibilities. He's either totally blending in with the fabric of the neighborhood, delivering the paper, meds, home health stuff. Or he's dressed all in black, hiding in ditches, watching from the cemetery, etc.

Is there a film which had elder rape as a theme? It almost seems to me that he's following a script.

One thing that I keep thinking about is that what makes this tough is that he could be coming into other women's homes without them knowing it planning for more crimes. My grandmother thought when things disappeared or moved that she was sleepwalking. Maybe there are others who think they are "losing it" when they really aren't, but have felt uncomfortable with saying anything to their families or friends. It is not like you can put an APB out saying, "Elderly ladies of Texas if your glasses aren't where you left them last night, call police." It is unfortunate but I think he takes advantage of that. They think it is their mind playing tricks on them until he strikes. I hate playing the waiting game....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70DaysofSilence
Back