GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping for the ladies of Texas. I keep hoping to log on an see this one changed to Arrested. Or something like that.

Just checking in...also to say that I have me some great nuns in Alabama that I e-mail for intercessional prayer and they are prayerfully 'on the case' as of last night.....hoping for a break really soon now.
Oh, and we have Union Pacific Railroad workers all over South Austin right now fixing tracks-been going on for a couple of weeks now. When I see them I go 'hmmmm'....ya never know.

Are these temporary employees of UPR? Or is this an on going thing where they move from town to town? I know we had railroad tracks right by our last victim's house and I have speculated here if we just knew more we could see if there is any landmark type connection. IE: River, train tracks, airport etc.

Also,to those dismissing the idea..... some of those cross dressers are pretty darn good -- so I am just saying, keep an open mind. It has happened before (I think I posted a link here somewhere on a famous one.)

I just emailed the author of that last story that said Moody police have several POI's. I will let you know if I hear back from him!

Just wanted to bump this case.
I can not believe the DNA results have not been released from the Moody assault.
The results have to be back. Ugh.

If you Google: "union pacific railroad yoakum tx"......there is a RR company there...

Well my computer is so slow but I was looking up the history of Moody Texas and it has a LOTof RR and Train Company history behind it.

You know I keep thinking about the Coffee Shop Cafe in Moody. I've done some research and I think I've found a comment that our last victim is a regular there. I started reading about the Coffee Cup (George W ate there) and a Texas Monthly article came up. You have to sign in to read it but it's quick and free. Just reading it made my mouth water. It's a run down on the 40 best cafes in Texas. Oh, how I miss me some pecan pie!! Play close attention to the locations of the cafes:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-12-01/feature2.php

What does everyone make of this?

What if he just hangs out at the local restaurants in these towns, eats there on occasion and decides who his next victim is?

Also notice that the article ran in December 2008 and the rapes (which are reported started in January 2009). The timing is perfect. We need to keep in mind that even though several known towns show up, including Yoakum, there might be others very close by to victims. Can the Texas posters look closely at this? There's also a list of 19 runners-up.

I think our guy could take bussing or dishwashing jobs-probably not cooking. He could just be very very observant. Nobody pays attention to a busser cleaning the table behind them. He'd also (sadly to me) not stand out in that position in an all white town. This job has always had a very high turnover rate. Unless someone's got a dynamic personality, it's often kind of a "faceless" job.

And remember one restaurant could bring in more than one victim. A dark-skinned man on his way to a dishwashing job at a Texas cafe could very well not stand out on the streets, especially if he was wearing a T-shirt for that cafe. To have breakfast ready, I'd think he'd need to be there quite early...5-6 am. Most dishwashers help with some prep.

See the list of "tasters" at the top of the article. Here's a unsettling thought, but what if he's in that group? Being that they're out there tasting they wouldn't be identifying themselves as working for the magazine but they would have some sort of ID if they were stopped and a very good excuse to be in a town that was not there own. A local LEO would probably think it a fun thing to stop and talk to a guy who told this story. Talk about moving around with impunity.

Missizzy- could you post the list of all of the towns that have been targeted so I can go back to the Texas Monthly article and compare? I know you have been on this for awhile it may take longer for me to look up. Thanks!

You know I don't have a list at the ready. I think TM or IWannaKnow posted one. This article (although not new) has the best run down I've found. I'll keep looking. I also posted a long thread linking to church services and looking at days of the week. It's a ways back but I'll find the post #s and let you know.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/68827522.html

Go back to Post#441. I was on a rip that day and spent hours tracking down little details. There's a lot of info about locations. Remember, though, that I was primarily looking for links to Catholic Churches as so many women had been described as preparing for church. When I looked back at the days of the week (mostly weekdays), the only thing I could come up with was the Catholic Church which has early Mass. No other church I could find, had such early services or meetings. I also found newsletters from the churches which listed their Mass times.

Since the rapist commented to one, possibly two, victims that he knew exactly when their son would be by, I made the assumption that the son was picking them up for a Mass. You know, maybe picking Mom up on his way to work and dropping her at the church and someone else would take her home. These masses started around 6-6:30 am and the rapes were said to occur in the "twilight hours" of 4-6 am. I imagined the rapist surprising them right before they got up. In fact he surprised one woman as she got out of the shower. Anyway, there should be some locations and other info on that post and the ones by me the same day.

Someone else, IWannaKnow maybe, tracked something to do with cable hook-ups or wireless internet.

We need to keep in mind, though, that women could go to the next little town over to a cafe. So, they just need to be close. My parents lived in Liberty Hill (and even ran a restaurant there for a decade) but as they grew older, they always went to Georgetown (15 miles away) for lunch. I would say that that's a pretty appropriate travel distance to consider. I doubt it would be farther for a regular. JMO

Can I ask how far your grandmother lives/lived from the Coffee Shop Cafe?

I guess there's also the possibility that he's a traveler--sales, cable, delivery, etc. and just knows where the good cafes are. Anything can be a coincidence but this really struck me as a possibility. There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that you couldn't learn about people from the small town cafe.

The central/south-central cafes listed in the TX monthly article are in Yoakum, Hico, Goldthwaite & Hutto, IIRC.

I cut this from one of TMs posts in the first thread:

The first attack was on Jan. 23 (2009) in Yoakum where a 66-year-old woman was raped and robbed of $12,000.

In Central Texas, a woman was raped in July in Leon County.

In August, a woman in her early 90s was attacked and robbed in rural Bell County.

Another attack was reported on Sept. 5 in Leon County.

On Sept. 11, a 90-year-old woman was raped in Bell County.

The next day, a woman in Leon County reported that burglar bars had been removed from her home.

On Oct. 10, an elderly woman was attacked in her home just outside of Marlin in Falls County.

Two weeks later, an elderly woman in Leon County heard an intruder in her home, grabbed a gun and scared off the would-be attacker.

Another attack was reported on Nov. 9 in Yoakum.

The latest incident happened involved a break-in and attempted sexual assault on Nov. 24 in Luling.

And this is sort of a map:
20091213rapist_graphic.jpg

I am currently working on a theory and would like any actual addresses of victims anyone has. Even if it is just the block. Anything would help. If you would PM them to me I would really appreciate it. TIA!

A little pro-activity:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/87906632.html

"The police chief in Lott is taking a proactive stance when it comes to elderly victims of the so-called Twilight Rapist.

Lott Police Chief Michael Hamilton has organized a seminar set for this Saturday to help educate elderly members of the community about how to avoid becoming victims of crime. The seminar is at 1 p.m. Saturday at Rosebud-Lott High School and anyone is invited and encouraged to attend, Hamilton said.

Jim Baylor, a criminologist from Rice University, will present the program...."

more at link

and

http://www.tdtnews.com/story/2010/3/18/64863

"The latest attack occurred in the early hours of March 2, 2010, in the home of an 80-year-old Moody woman. The assailant forced entry into the home, according to Tom Vinger, spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety...."

more at link

The second article is about the same subject, an upcoming seminar, but notice that there's the assumption that the most recent attack is connected. We haven't had confirmation on that. Only the first article makes that clear. It's been 20 days since the attack. It took 16 days for the confirmation that the Lubbock rape was not connected. I'm anxious to hear. I'd also like to know why it took 12 rapes to bring about this sort of education.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telecrushxx
Back