TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely not taking LE side on this one and toxicology may paly a role in this.....or it could be simply people should not work twelve hour shifts, I would hate to take an Uber with someone who had been driving for eleven and a half hours.
People work 12 hour shifts all the time and are not so confused that they can't work out why their key is not working and then their first instinct is to shoot someone. No words, just shoot to kill.

Why she hasn't been arrested so far.
"After the Rangers interviewed the officer, "they asked us to hold off on the warrant" until they could further investigate information they learned in the interview."

DPD Chief said a warrant was coming in the death of Botham Jean. Why it hasn't yet

I cannot possibly imagine what information they could be investigating that would negate her actions.

In fact, any information would likely prove to make her look worse.
If she does claim she knew him, or was in a relationship with him, then she lied about thinking it was her apartment.
Unless she's going to try and claim that she thought her ex had broken in and changed the locks?

I just don't see how any information that could be investigated would prevent her from being charged.
I don't like this.

Typically, Dallas police investigate a shooting by one of its own officers. But Hall said Saturday that she and her department will no longer have roles in the criminal investigation. She declined to say whether the department is conducting a parallel investigation.

The chief said there should be "no secrets" about what happened.

"There is no blue line; those things cannot exist," she said. "I want you to hold me and my organization accountable for what we're supposed to be doing."

'We will find out exactly what happened,' Dallas mayor vows after off-duty cop kills man in his own apartment | Crime | Dallas News

Government leaders of the Caribbean island nation of Saint Lucia say the shooting death in Dallas of an island native came as a "shock" and that embassy officials in the U.S. will provide assistance to the victim's family.
https://www.chron.com/news/texas/ar...ers-of-island-nation-say-killing-13214914.php

Last edited:
I cannot possibly imagine what information they could be investigating that would negate her actions.

In fact, any information would likely prove to make her look worse.
If she does claim she knew him, or was in a relationship with him, then she lied about thinking it was her apartment.
Unless she's going to try and claim that she thought her ex had broken in and changed the locks?

I just don't see how any information that could be investigated would prevent her from being charged.
I don't like this.

Could it be they're considering upping the charge from manslaughter to 2nd degree murder?

In any case, she needs to be arrested and put behind bars. Give her a hearing to determine if bond is appropriate and how much---but until then, she should be in jail just like anyone else would be. People are usually arrested on the spot for shooting and killing someone. She's been interviewed and has told her side of the story and still no arrest.

Police say the investigations that typically follow police shootings are rigorous and that there's virtually no distinction between on-duty and off-duty incidents when internal investigators and grand juries scrutinize cases. Police critics who believe it's improper for departments to investigate their own officers are particularly troubled by off-duty incidents, they say, because officers may be granted more leniency than citizens in like circumstances.

Even Off Duty, Police Have Wide Discretion to Shoot | Unholstered

Could it be they're considering upping the charge from manslaughter to 2nd degree murder?

In any case, she needs to be arrested and put behind bars. Give her a hearing to determine if bond is appropriate and how much---but until then, she should be in jail just like anyone else would be. People are usually arrested on the spot for shooting and killing someone. She's been interviewed and has told her side of the story and still no arrest.

I guess so, but charges are added or dropped or changed all the time. I don't understand why that would be a reason to hold off on issuing a warrant at all. However now that the rangers have taken over maybe it had more to do with that, wanting everything done by one agency.

I just hope it's not a bad sign.

That was the point I was sneaking toward--that if you're required to carry a gun when you're 'off duty', then in fact you can't ever be considered off-duty--which is what I've heard before.

So cops who are off duty and go to a bar to get smashed are suppose to carry their gun with them? Why does that sound like a BAD idea?

So cops who are off duty and go to a bar to get smashed are suppose to carry their gun with them? Why does that sound like a BAD idea?

I believe that they're not supposed to go to a bar and get smashed.....and yes, I'm aware that people do lots of things they shouldn't do.

I can't stop thinking about his bright red rug. The halls were well lit, from the video footage. How could she not notice a rug that wasn't hers? If she did notice, why did she still think it was her apartment? It's a detail that jumps out at me.

I believe that they're not supposed to go to a bar and get smashed.....and yes, I'm aware that people do lots of things they shouldn't do.

So they can't do whatever they want as long as it's not illegal when they're off duty? I didn't know that.

"This is not the Dallas Police Department," Rawlings said. "That's good because it's independent."

The Rangers often assist police departments with officer-involved shooting investigations. While the shooting death of Jean was not technically an officer-involved shooting – the officer had just gotten off duty but was still in uniform – the incident was "a very unique situation," Rawlings said.

"This was a police officer that was off duty but still wearing the police uniform," Rawlings said. "There's protocol in how we deal with police officers, and there's protocol in how we deal with citizens. And that's one of the issues that the chief is in the middle of...I think she's walking that fine line."
Dallas Police Chief said a warrant was coming in the death of Botham Jean. Why it hasn't yet

There is nothing illegal about going to a bar or getting drunk? Police are not allowed to do that?

Is she going to use the 'I was in fear of my life' excuse when an unarmed man opened his own apartment door to her?

I'm certain that she will, and I'm almost positive that it will work.

Best case she will plead down to a slap on the wrist misdemeanor with zero jail time, and it's equally if not more likely that she not only gets off entirely but keeps her job in the end.

I also feel about 85% that they knew each other and this was a straight up murder.

I'm certain that she will, and I'm almost positive that it will work.

Best case she will plead down to a slap on the wrist misdemeanor with zero jail time, and it's equally if not more likely that she not only gets off entirely but keeps her job in the end.

I also feel about 85% that they knew each other and this was a straight up murder.

IMO, she will say she is a woman and felt terrified there was a man in his underwear inside her home.

I agree with you completely that this was likely straight up murder.

IMO, she will say she is a woman and felt terrified there was a man in his underwear inside her home.

I agree with you completely that this was likely straight up murder.
I agree that it was murder but I don't agree that she's going to get off lightly. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicolelynn92