TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange case. I know fatigue can be dangerous while driving, similar to being drunk. Entering the wrong apartment seems possibly if very tired or distracted, but wouldn’t she have quickly realized the furniture was different? Poor guy, what a tragedy for him and his family. Why are cops put on administrative leave pending an investigation instead of arrested like us civilians? Honestly asking.

I think the administrative leave is separate from arrest. Arrest would be a criminal thing, whereas the administrative leave is due to their employment and they're often put on leave during an investigation phrase and prior to a decision on whether they'll be fired or not (if discharge of weapon was found to have been a legitimate accident vs manslaughter).

I will admit that I have mistakenly tried to open a neighbour's door with my key. I was very, very tired and got out of the elevator on the wrong floor. I panicked, thinking someone had messed with my lock, then twigged what I'd done. I was mortified. However, had the door opened, I would have known immediately that I was in the wrong place. Different flooring, different smell, something would tell me before I set foot inside.

I’ve walked in on a couple in bed with 2 children once in an Orlando resort. It was late at night and the hotel effed up and checked me into an occupied room. It was a feeling of utter chaos and I’m lucky they didn’t have a gun. Needless to say it was a bad start to a good vacay.

I am ASTOUNDED about this woman's story.
WTH ???
You walk in to someone else's apartment and draw your weapon and shoot to kill????
WHAT? NO WAY!
Something else is going on here. Absolutely.
Prayers for his devastated family and friends.
P.S. This Cop, needs to be in jail. Period. Blood tests drawn immediately, her cell phone confiscated as well as her weapon.

I have had the same thing happen to me at hotels. Now, I always use the secondary lock on hotel rooms.

I don't carry a gun, if I tried to get in the wrong house, the guy would open the door, I would apologize. I wouldn't have a gun in my hand, ready to shoot.

I am ASTOUNDED about this woman's story.
WTH ???
You walk in to someone else's apartment and draw your weapon and shoot to kill????
WHAT? NO WAY!
Something else is going on here. Absolutely.
Prayers for his devastated family and friends.
P.S. This Cop, needs to be in jail. Period. Blood tests drawn immediately, her cell phone confiscated as well as her weapon.
But it was just a "mistake"...:mad:

Even though she was off duty in uniform and carried and fired her department issued weapon, she was not acting “under color of state law”. So the Dallas Police Department would not be liable.

Snip:

Dallas police are obtaining a warrant on manslaughter charges against a police officer who shot and killed a man after entering an apartment she mistakenly thought was her own, police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall said Friday.

The shooting took place Thursday night at the South Side Flats. The white patrol officer has not been identified, but her name will be released when she is formally charged, Hall told reporters.

Botham Shem Jean ID'd as victim of shooting by Dallas officer who entered wrong apartment - CNN

Why are they mentioning her race?

Snip:
It’s not clear what the interaction was between her and the victim.Then at some point she fired her weapon striking the victim.

She called 911 – officers responded in about four minutes. Dallas Fire Rescue also responded and took Mr. Jean to the hospital where he later died.

At the very early stages of this investigation – initial indications were that they were what we consider circumstances of an officer involved shooting.

However, as we continued this investigation it became clear that we were dealing with what appears to be a much different and very unique situation.

Therefore, we have ceased handling it under our normal officer involved shooting protocol, a blood sample was drawn to test for drugs and alcohol, we are in the process of obtaining a warrant, and we have also invited the Texas Rangers to conduct an independent investigation.

Shooting Involving Off Duty Officer – 1210 S. Lamar

Things I've found reading various articles:
* He lived on the 4th floor she on the third directly underneath him so she had to hit the wrong elevator button or walked up an extra flight of stairs (latter not likely)
*There are numbers on the doors
*The door locks flash red when the key isn't working similar to hotels so she tried multiple times
*Man opens door (assuming he heard rattling, looked out peephole and saw female cop)
*She never entered apt so I'm thinking she never saw interior is not hers before shooting.
*Almost immediately shoots man in his underwear in the doorway.
*Called 911 after shooting and realizing after entering apt it wasn't hers.

Saw a few other things from tenants on reddit but since that isn't msm can't comment...

In this case, its a good question. But regardless, I understand she has now been charged with manslaughter. So that was pretty quick. I just read this article where neighbors said they heard a lot of commotion and someone yelling "open up, open up" first. Interesting. May be more to this.

Dallas officer charged after shooting man in wrong apartment

I can't see why the officers who attended the call would need to call "Open up"... so if those reports can be confirmed, surely that would move this from a charge of manslaughter to murder?

Snip:

Dallas police are obtaining a warrant on manslaughter charges against a police officer who shot and killed a man after entering an apartment she mistakenly thought was her own, police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall said Friday.

The shooting took place Thursday night at the South Side Flats. The white patrol officer has not been identified, but her name will be released when she is formally charged, Hall told reporters.

Botham Shem Jean ID'd as victim of shooting by Dallas officer who entered wrong apartment - CNN

Why are they mentioning her race?

CNN?

I’ve walked in on a couple in bed with 2 children once in an Orlando resort. It was late at night and the hotel effed up and checked me into an occupied room. It was a feeling of utter chaos and I’m lucky they didn’t have a gun. Needless to say it was a bad start to a good vacay.

I had the same thing happen once, when the hotel mixed up the room assignment. Just briefly saw the guy in the room walking around, fully dressed, watching tv. I quickly closed the door and felt embarrassed. I never would have dreamed of shooting him, and of course never carry a gun. It makes me wonder if people who do carry guns automatically have more paranoia and hostility in these kinds of innocent situations than someone who never carries.

Why would you yell "Open Up" when entering your own apartment/home?
I certainly don't yell anything when going into my home.
I do however, say in a kind voice, "Hi babies, Mom's home"

In this case, its a good question. But regardless, I understand she has now been charged with manslaughter. So that was pretty quick. I just read this article where neighbors said they heard a lot of commotion and someone yelling "open up, open up" first. Interesting. May be more to this.

Dallas officer charged after shooting man in wrong apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member