TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN:A Dallas police officer stands charged with manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a manshe mistakenly thought was in her apartment, but a prosecutor would not rule out a more serious charge Monday.
Dallas police officer could face stiffer charge for killing unarmed neighbor, DA says

I wish the newspaper would be a little more accurate and say "that the officer STATED she mistakenly thought was in her apartment..."

They are making a statement, a claim, that this is true. We don't know yet! The cause could be something completely different. SMH....

The affidavit filed for the manslaughter arrest of a Dallas police officer who shot Harding graduate Botham Jean in his own apartment says he ignored her verbal commands and she fired after she entered his apartment thinking it was her own.

She said she didn't know she was in the wrong place until after she'd shot Jean. She said the door opened at the push of electronic key card into the door lock and that when she was entered the apartment was dark and she could only see the silhouette of someone she presumed was a burgla

Affidavit released in Dallas cop's shooting of Harding graduate

Authorities say a Dallas police officer said she shot a neighbor whose home she mistakenly entered last week after he ignored her “verbal commands.”

David Armstrong of the Texas Rangers wrote in an arrest affidavit released Monday that Officer Amber Guyger said she didn’t realize she was in the wrong apartment until after she shot 26-year-old Botham Jean and went into the hallway to check the address.

Guyger was booked Sunday on a manslaughter charge in Thursday night’s killing of Jean and was released on bond.
The Latest: Mayor says Dallas cop parked on wrong floor | WTOP

Dallas LE has stated the two didn’t know each other

This is patently false and is verified by social media photos showing them standing next to each other in at least one small group photo, possibly touching, at social functions. This information comes from the same source that provided the video footage of the aftermath of the shooting.

LE has a helluva lot of explaining to do.

No, that is not her in those photos.

This shooting is SO disturbing! I just can't understand AG not realizing she was at the wrong apartment. I've lived in multiple unit dwellings (apartment, dorms, townhouse) most of my life. There have been times I've started walking toward the wrong residence but noticed or sensed something was different, and then realized my mistake. Never entered the wrong residence. I've even worked double shifts, went to church afterwards and stayed for lunch before going home. I was extremely tired, but I still found my apartment.

There was not only the bright red rug in front of Botham's door, there would've been other differences from her floor, so I do not understand the claim she thought she was at her apartment. I also don't understand why officers are allowed to wear their uniforms ( including gun) home. Once she clocks out, she is no longer on duty, yet in confronting someone she thought to be a burglar (supposedly), she was acting as an LEO.

I've seen the statements that AG worked OT because she made an arrest. I would like to know AG's state of mind during and after the arrest. Was it a difficult arrest? Was she angry when she left her job? People are more likely, IMO, to make senseless mistakes and overreact when the are angry than when they are tired. Again, JMO.

3:50 p.m.
An investigator says a Dallas police officer who shot and killed her neighbor after mistaking his apartment for her own said that when she inserted her key in his door, it opened because it had been slightly ajar.

David Armstrong of the Texas Rangers wrote in an arrest affidavit released Monday that Officer Amber Guyger said it was nearly completely dark inside the apartment when she entered it Thursday night and she thought she was encountering a burglar in her home.

He says Guyger said the person ignored her verbal commands and she fired twice. One struck Jean in the chest and he later died.

The affidavit says Guyger was on the phone with 911 reporting the shooting when she turned on the apartment lights and discovered she was in the wrong apartment. It says Jean's apartment was the one right above Guyger's and the apartment layouts and exterior hallways were nearly identical.
The Latest: Affidavit: Cop said neighbor ignored commands | Atlanta: News, Weather and Traffic

And if it was a black man shooting a white woman. Nope, no way. They would have been charged with murder immediately.

The preferential treatment is infuriating.

Was Mohammed Noor charged immediately when he killed Justine Damond? I know the situation is different, but he was responding to a 911 call made by a woman, reporting a woman in distress--so he had reason to expect that a woman might be approaching his car.

ETA: I swear I posted this before I read all the other posts that pointed this out.

Last edited:
She said she didn't know she was in the wrong place until after she'd shot Jean. She said the door opened at the push of electronic key card into the door lock and that when she was entered the apartment was dark and she could only see the silhouette of someone she presumed was a burgla

Affidavit released in Dallas cop's shooting of Harding graduate

This raises several questions that don't seem plausible:

- Is the officer claiming that the lock malfunctioned and opened when she inserted her key card? This would seem highly unlikely, perhaps even practically impossible.

- Is the officer claiming that she was able to push the unlocked door open when she inserted her card? Do modern apartment locks even allow for such a possibility? In other words, does at least one deadbolt go in when ever the door is closed, similar to hotel rooms?

If the claim is implausible, it could support a fact pattern where the officer ordered him to open the door, then shot him.

You must have missed when the PO Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond.

July 15, 2017
Between 11:40:15 p.m. and 11:40:29 p.m. A shot is fired. Harrity sees Noor with his right arm extended toward him. Harrity looks out his window and sees Damond. She has one hand near her abdomen and says, "I'm dying" or "I'm dead."

March 20, 2018
Noor is charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Damond's death; he is no longer with the police department.paul walsh

Justine Damond: A timeline

Took them eight months.....

I know and another article said he was shot once in the chest.... and another article said he died from a single gunshot wound... and another article said she shot twice and hit him once.

I have no idea what is accurate at this point.
Excuse me while I pull my hair out. :mad:

Obviously, we're seeing a poor quality of reporting. Therefore, although I hate to say anything defending the police officer, I think it's much too early to assume that she's changing her story, when we get multiple versions of the story.

She had a whole weekend to decide what her story was...JMO.
Good point Gar. I can’t find the date on the document as to when she gave this account of her actions. It is only a sworn statement made by the Detective that he documented his interview and submitted those findings to be determined as findings of fact before conclusions are determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ms.dizzydolores