TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical question, if a citizen were to go to someone else's home and shoot them, would LE let them go home without hours of interrogation? I think not.

And if it was a black man shooting a white woman. Nope, no way. They would have been charged with murder immediately.

The preferential treatment is infuriating.

At least she is arrested and charged with evidence they supposedly had available when they charged her. To me it seems that she should have been arrested on the spot- but it was only 2-2 and a half days later. Also, no one has said that the investigation is over- with more evidence, charges could be upgraded and a lot will depend on the grand jury and what evidence is available to them at that time.

Other than finding out that the officer knew the man and had some kind of personal or neighborly dispute with him that had something to do with arguing and anger/a grudge regarding the shooting, I don't know what could make it something other than manslaughter.

Also, could it be the Dallas PD didn't arrest her because it would make them a part of the investigation at that point and they wanted it to be independently done by an outside agency for the sake of propriety?

Admittedly, I have a lot to catch up. But if he was shot once, but she fired twice; which shot hit him?
She is also has to identify WHO she is shooting at and also BEYOND. She not only murdered an innocent man, she put ones lives who live in the apartment in danger firing her weapon in the dark allegedly and also her surroundings. She claimed she did not know she had the wrong apartment until after the shooting.

Dallas County DA: 'We Are Not Through' - D Magazine

The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office is conducting its own investigation into the shooting death of Botham Jean and plans to present its findings to a grand jury.

Speaking Monday morning alongside the mayor and the Jean family, District Attorney Faith Johnson said her office had launched its own investigation into the shooting. She said she and her investigators met with the Texas Rangers for “almost two hours” on Sunday afternoon before Guyger had been charged. She said her people had a “spirited debate” with the Rangers, but that “they made it very clear to us that they were going to issue a warrant for manslaughter.”

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, now charged with manslaughter in the death of a man in his own apartment, walked through an unlocked door she mistook for her own, a source told CBS 11 News reporter JD Miles.

Off-duty, but still in uniform, Gyger told investigators that she yelled at Botham Shem Jean to “show his hands” then drew her firearm and shot him, the source said.

The 26-year-old, shot in the dark, inside his apartment at the Southside Flats complex, died from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.
At a press conference Monday morning, attorney Daryl Washington said that Jean’s family has heard more than once that Gyger said she believed she was in her apartment being burglarized.
'Show Your Hands': Dallas Officer Enters Unlocked Door, Allegedly Kills Man In His Apartment

Hypothetical question, if a citizen were to go to someone else's home and shoot them, would LE let them go home without hours of interrogation? I think not.

Yes if this had been any other neighbor of Botham's, they would not have been home for 3 days before their arrest. Definitely true.

You don't have to back away even if you can do so. That's the whole point of castle doctrine. I understand that some people will try to retreat, but in TX, they don't have to. And again, this is TX. Find me one story where homeowner who killed an intruder got charged, and then we will talk.

If Botham had been armed and had shot Amber when she entered his apartment.... he would have been charged. This would be that case. No doubt in my mind. I think that's why it bothers me so much that with the roles reversed they just let her go home. I understand investigating... I really do. It just seems unfair.

I am not sure. I just got the feeling the attorneys want stronger charges.

They wanted her arrested NOW and they got that. Stronger charges may come later but they said themselves there was enough to arrest on manslaughter and that's what they were demanding.

Thank you, all this talk about the legality of the killer shooting him in re home invasion laws when the fact is it was the killer that invaded his home. I hope I haven't repeated, I haven't read to the end yet. I hope it does not ring true that what the killer thought takes precident over facts.

It doesn't seem fair either. Ignorance isn't a defense in other crimes. If a girl tells you she's 19, looks 19 and acts 19 you still get charged if she's 15! Why should "I thought it was my apartment" fly here? The right apartment is a whole lot easier to verify than someone's age.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, now charged with manslaughter in the death of a man in his own apartment, walked through an unlocked door she mistook for her own, a source told CBS 11 News reporter JD Miles.

Off-duty, but still in uniform, Gyger told investigators that she yelled at Botham Shem Jean to “show his hands” then drew her firearm and shot him, the source said.

The 26-year-old, shot in the dark, inside his apartment at the Southside Flats complex, died from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.
At a press conference Monday morning, attorney Daryl Washington said that Jean’s family has heard more than once that Gyger said she believed she was in her apartment being burglarized.
'Show Your Hands': Dallas Officer Enters Unlocked Door, Allegedly Kills Man In His Apartment

Why is this worse than what we heard before? Maybe because the next door neighbor did not hear her yelling this?

And if it was a black man shooting a white woman. Nope, no way. They would have been charged with murder immediately.

The preferential treatment is infuriating.

You must have missed when the PO Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond.

July 15, 2017
Between 11:40:15 p.m. and 11:40:29 p.m. A shot is fired. Harrity sees Noor with his right arm extended toward him. Harrity looks out his window and sees Damond. She has one hand near her abdomen and says, "I'm dying" or "I'm dead."

March 20, 2018
Noor is charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Damond's death; he is no longer with the police department.paul walsh

Justine Damond: A timeline

Why is this worse than what we heard before? Maybe because the next door neighbor did not hear her yelling this?
BBM
Daryl Washington said that Jean’s family has heard more than once that Gyger said she believed she was in her apartment being burglarized.
Didn’t the earliest reports say she opened the door and shot? I had a different impression earlier. Now it appears as though she actually stepped into the apt. Confusion and a breakdown of order surrounds this case.

Dallas LE has stated the two didn’t know each other

This is patently false and is verified by social media photos showing them standing next to each other in at least one small group photo, possibly touching, at social functions. This information comes from the same source that provided the video footage of the aftermath of the shooting.

LE has a helluva lot of explaining to do.

That photo looks nothing like her.

At least she is arrested and charged with evidence they supposedly had available when they charged her. To me it seems that she should have been arrested on the spot- but it was only 2-2 and a half days later. Also, no one has said that the investigation is over- with more evidence, charges could be upgraded and a lot will depend on the grand jury and what evidence is available to them at that time.

Other than finding out that the officer knew the man and had some kind of personal or neighborly dispute with him that had something to do with arguing and anger/a grudge regarding the shooting, I don't know what could make it something other than manslaughter.

I agree. It was super fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member