Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rather than the skater angle, what about the nearby baseball field? Baseball is the quintessential American sport, plus a very popular sport in Japan. If the perp was American, possibly a highschooler, would there be access/use of the baseball field for anything he was doing or participating in? Could the perp have been a university student? How visible was the home from the baseball field?

I'm just randomly musing and am still catching up so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed or discounted.
There is a baseball field very nearby, yes. I don't know if the TMPD specifically investigated those involved in the sport but I can tell you that the local schools and universities were all combed extensively. It's definitely possible the killer was a student -- that is the official view of the TMPD, after all. The fact that they descended on pretty much every local learning institution leads me to believe the killer wasn't involved with one of them.

I’ve been looking at maps lately after the recent posts here and from what I understand the baseball ground at the back of the house is owned by Komazawa University so I am assuming it is a private ground for their use only. Next to the ground is a university dormitory so students were around this area very often I’d say.

Whereas the tennis court, skate park and other parks are city owned and available for public use.
Yes, exactly right. Though from my own anecdotal observation, it did seem like adults were going in there the last time I was in Soshigaya. So, I'm assuming it's rentable either outside of term / or after-hours.

Could the university have hosted baseball games for high schoolers, maybe between American students on base vs. local students from Japan? Were university games open to the public? If so, could the perp have attended games as a spectator while also checking out the surrounding area? (But it seems less likely in winter, imo.)

Like I said, just trying to think of different angles or possibilities.
I can tell you that such competitions did take place, yes. As for whether or not the killer was a spectator, I have no clue. But I would say that a man sitting in a park, minding his own business, would likely cut a less suspicious figure than standing outside a house on a residential street. So, assuming the killer did observe the Miyazawas, he would've had ample opportunity without standing out so much. There are various unsubstantiated 'sightings' of dodgy men in the area either looking at the house / arguing with Mikio / encountering him in local businesses. The TMPD got nowhere with any of these, though.

I have a wife and a boy and girl, almost identical in age to the Miyazawa children. There are other families, similar to the Miyazawas, that reside where the killer is now. While I don't believe the killer has killed since leaving Japan, I completely believe he's capable of doing so again. For public safety, he needs to be at least identified. Then, let TMPD act as they will.

TMPD is doing a huge disservice, not only to the Miyazawa family, but to unbeknownst families who are currently in the killers path. I don't know if the stereotype of Japanese shame truly exists. Regardless, there's going to be an extreme level of that when the public is made aware of this, which I suspect will be soon. As much as Nic respects the Chief, his failure to catch the killer, whilst a novelist and a group of armchair sleuths staying up late at night in their American basements do, will unfortunately be "Chiefs" lasting legacy.

In Faceless, Nic briefly touched on an incident where he thought the killer might be right outside his window. While he quickly brushed off the idea, it's not completely far fetched. He's also stated on this forum that while he doesn't think he'll come after him, he's ready if he does. These thoughts are actually quite rational.

A quick Google search prompts Faceless, this forum, and others showing things beginning to narrow down the killer. Surely he has to have looked at some. And as the case continues to build, I suspect so too does his tension. It's very logical to assume he'll act on it.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the procedure is for personnel to enter or exit any of these military bases. A logbook perhaps? Did the TMPD check these log books to see if anyone entered or exited these bases on the night in question? Maybe no one of a suspicious nature was identified out and about during the time of the murders, and this is why they so easily dismiss the theory.

I have no idea what the procedure is for personnel to enter or exit any of these military bases. A logbook perhaps? Did the TMPD check these log books to see if anyone entered or exited these bases on the night in question? Maybe no one of a suspicious nature was identified out and about during the time of the murders, and this is why they so easily dismiss the theory.
People on those bases that I've spoken to have independently raised doubts as to how rigorous those records will be for familial egress, particularly when dealing with the son of a big cheese, for example. That's anecdotal. But, at any rate, we know that the TMPD did not investigate the airbase.

I have a wife and a boy and girl, almost identical in age to the Miyazawa children. There are other families, similar to the Miyazawas, that reside where the killer is now. While I don't believe the killer has killed since leaving Japan, I completely believe he's capable of doing so again. For public safety, he needs to be at least identified. Then, let TMPD act as they will.

TMPD is doing a huge disservice, not only to the Miyazawa family, but to unbeknownst families who are currently in the killers path. I don't know if the stereotype of Japanese shame truly exists. Regardless, there's going to be an extreme level of that when the public is made aware of this, which I suspect will be soon. As much as Nic respects the Chief, his failure to catch the killer, whilst a novelist and a group of armchair sleuths staying up late at night in their American basements do, will unfortunately be "Chiefs" lasting legacy.

In Faceless, Nic briefly touched on an incident where he thought the killer might be right outside his window. While he quickly brushed off the idea, it's not completely far fetched. He's also stated on this forum that while he doesn't think he'll come after him, he's ready if he does. These thoughts are actually quite rational.

A quick Google search prompts Faceless, this forum, and others showing things beginning to narrow down the killer. Surely he has to have looked at some. And as the case continues to build, I suspect so too does his tension. It's very logical to assume he'll act on it.
If he is alive, whether he is Japanese or American or anything else… I have no doubt in my mind he knows people are onto him. If he is American or English speaking I would say he may have even seen us here. Certainly he has seen Wikipedia, maybe even the Faceless podcasts. If he is Japanese then the outfit he murdered them in is displayed on televisions ever year and on posters around the country.
It is very unsettling to think about.

RSBM: I absolutely agree. Obviously, his motive is unknown to us. But I think after 24 years it's reasonable to conclude that if he had a 'good' reason to kill the Miyazawas, the TMPD would've divined it by now. Ergo, my best guess is that this was an emotional outlet for him of some kind. Given that the TMPD definitively rule out a sexual motive, I assume this to be a rage killing, unconnected to the Miyazawas. That is to say, he was furious somewhere else / with someone else but decided to take it out on them for reasons unknown. Even if none of the above holds true, patently the perpetrator is an extremely dangerous individual, capable not only of slaughtering four innocent people, but also eluding the best efforts of one of -if not the- largest police forces on earth. Take into account Japanese law has changed for this man (something that is a VERY rare occurrence). That there is a permanent legal memorandum ordering all unidentified male bodies in Japan to be fingerprinted against the killer in this case. I've often seen the abilities of the TMPD questioned here which, while understandable to a degree, I've often found unfair when measured against my own experiences with them. Of course there are some legal barriers to their investigation unfolding in the way it might have in the US / UK / comparable EU nations. But then again, I have witnessed efforts undertaken here that would not be possible in said places. How many murder cases have 30-40 FULL-TIME detectives on a cold case from the year 2000 anywhere else on earth? How many other cases have you seen where over 1 million men were fingerprinted. Million. How many other cases can one point to where the detectives assemble each anniversary to bow their heads to the victims? My point is, and I don't make it to you directly @SteveL, I just speak generally -- that I fully believe the TMPD have done everything they can within the limitations of their laws and confines. Evidently, this has sadly not been enough to find the killer.
TMPD is doing a huge disservice, not only to the Miyazawa family, but to unbeknownst families who are currently in the killers path.
As above, I think they've done everything they are able to and that there are good reasons for them not going outside of that. I do not like these limitations but I understand they sit outside of my cultural sphere. And I would dispute the word 'disservice', more like a lamentable reality.
I don't know if the stereotype of Japanese shame truly exists. Regardless, there's going to be an extreme level of that when the public is made aware of this, which I suspect will be soon. As much as Nic respects the Chief, his failure to catch the killer, whilst a novelist and a group of armchair sleuths staying up late at night in their American basements do, will unfortunately be "Chiefs" lasting legacy.
The Chief is an honourable man with a long record of service to his community. The failing in the Miyazawa case should not be laid at his door, particularly given how much he has done for Setsuko Miyazawa, particularly how much he has done to contribute to the abolishing of the statute of limitations which allows us to still sleuth this case fruitfully. Particularly given that, if it weren't for him, we wouldn't know 75% of what we know beyond the garbage on Wikipedia. He's also introduced me (confidentially) to others in the TMPD / connected to it. I don't defend him because of my own respect for him but simply being fair; he's done more than anyone to find the killer. Even so, he seems to be constrained by everything I've mentioned before. That's less his legacy, and more testament to the cultural confines in Japan. JMO.

Given what I know about my POI, this possibility, assuming it's actually him, would be a certainty.

And if it's actually you reading this, you're welcome for a visit any day. I will be waiting for you, you *advertiser censored*.

I was having this concern, too.

However, I haven’t totally zoomed on that possibility because IMHO, there are too many layers of separation between the killer and the Miyazawas on their end. I was even thinking, someone like a proverbial “mailman”, like a person fixing their electric lanterns (there was one behind their house, right?) can get a lot of information without being known to them.

As to why it wasn’t solved…look at the Delphi case as the epitome. I think it comes down to the shock of unpreparedness, and later, self-erected barriers. In TMPD case, it is the DNA which they sit on. This is what later they’ll have to explain to the world. With PCR, they can amplify this DNA and send it to several independent labs of the world, anywhere, and know everything about their man. The longer they procrastinate, the more they will have to be accountable for, later.

I can tell you that such competitions did take place, yes. As for whether or not the killer was a spectator, I have no clue. But I would say that a man sitting in a park, minding his own business, would likely cut a less suspicious figure than standing outside a house on a residential street. So, assuming the killer did observe the Miyazawas, he would've had ample opportunity without standing out so much. There are various unsubstantiated 'sightings' of dodgy men in the area either looking at the house / arguing with Mikio / encountering him in local businesses. The TMPD got nowhere with any of these, though.

The word “dodgy” might explain why they had no luck. They are looking for someone who stands out. IMHO, that person doesn’t. There may be tons of reasons why.

I know they say they’ve looked at such-and-such groups, but I still think that by 2000, one could find a lot about the person online, if they knew where to look.

The word “dodgy” might explain why they had no luck. They are looking for someone who stands out. IMHO, that person doesn’t. There may be tons of reasons why.

I know they say they’ve looked at such-and-such groups, but I still think that by 2000, one could find a lot about the person online, if they knew where to look.
Well, dodgy is my word. I'm referring to the nebulous mentions on the Japanese wikipedia:

*On the morning of the 27th, three days before the incident, a suspicious man in his mid-40s was seen lurking around the victim's home . [46]

*A young man wearing clothes similar to those found at the crime scene, including a sweatshirt, hip bag, and sneakers, was seen around 3pm on the 29th, the day before the incident, near Seijo Gakuenmae Station on the Odakyu Line, 1.5km from the crime scene ( Mainichi Shimbun, November 30th, 2006 ). According to a housewife who witnessed the incident, she remembered him well because "he was lightly dressed for the end of December." Additionally, according to Weekly Asahi ( combined issue of January 5th and 12th, 2007 ), this man was also seen near the victim's house at around 9pm on the 30th, just before the crime.

*On the day of the incident, on the 30th, just after noon, an unfamiliar man was seen arguing with the victim. [ 47]

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, at around 7 pm and 10 pm, a man aged between 35 and 40 was seen walking on the sidewalk (service road) along the river near the victim's house, wearing a hat similar to the one left behind by the perpetrator at the crime scene. The man seen at 7 pm was walking next to the victim's house, and the man seen at 10 pm was walking on the sidewalk opposite the victim's house, but it is unclear whether the two men are the same person . [48]

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, at around 10 p.m., a suspicious young man (approximately 17 to 19 years old) with blonde hair and wearing a light-colored tracksuit was spotted about 250 meters south of the victim's house in the park. The young man reportedly glared at the witness's pet dog before passing by.

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, between 11:35 and 11:40pm, a man was seen running out of the alley leading to the victim's house and running away. A sketch of this man was released by the Metropolitan Police Department in December 2004 (see " Metropolitan Police Department Information Disclosure (2004) " below for details). The man is described as "25-35 years old, 175-180cm tall, thin, with slightly long hair, wearing a dark jacket and pants."

Of course, these are totally unsubstantiated. At best, they were reported at the time but later ruled out by the TMPD. My interviews were very clear. Not one single sighting corroborated as the potential killer beyond the CCTV of the knife purchase which they believed could've been the killer. It was not.

As for online stuff, there is a massive NPA lab in Chiba alone that I believe has a comprehensive online investigations team. I think they would know where to look.

Well, dodgy is my word. I'm referring to the nebulous mentions on the Japanese wikipedia:

*On the morning of the 27th, three days before the incident, a suspicious man in his mid-40s was seen lurking around the victim's home . [46]

*A young man wearing clothes similar to those found at the crime scene, including a sweatshirt, hip bag, and sneakers, was seen around 3pm on the 29th, the day before the incident, near Seijo Gakuenmae Station on the Odakyu Line, 1.5km from the crime scene ( Mainichi Shimbun, November 30th, 2006 ). According to a housewife who witnessed the incident, she remembered him well because "he was lightly dressed for the end of December." Additionally, according to Weekly Asahi ( combined issue of January 5th and 12th, 2007 ), this man was also seen near the victim's house at around 9pm on the 30th, just before the crime.

*On the day of the incident, on the 30th, just after noon, an unfamiliar man was seen arguing with the victim. [ 47]

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, at around 7 pm and 10 pm, a man aged between 35 and 40 was seen walking on the sidewalk (service road) along the river near the victim's house, wearing a hat similar to the one left behind by the perpetrator at the crime scene. The man seen at 7 pm was walking next to the victim's house, and the man seen at 10 pm was walking on the sidewalk opposite the victim's house, but it is unclear whether the two men are the same person . [48]

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, at around 10 p.m., a suspicious young man (approximately 17 to 19 years old) with blonde hair and wearing a light-colored tracksuit was spotted about 250 meters south of the victim's house in the park. The young man reportedly glared at the witness's pet dog before passing by.

*On the day of the incident, the 30th, between 11:35 and 11:40pm, a man was seen running out of the alley leading to the victim's house and running away. A sketch of this man was released by the Metropolitan Police Department in December 2004 (see " Metropolitan Police Department Information Disclosure (2004) " below for details). The man is described as "25-35 years old, 175-180cm tall, thin, with slightly long hair, wearing a dark jacket and pants."

Of course, these are totally unsubstantiated. At best, they were reported at the time but later ruled out by the TMPD. My interviews were very clear. Not one single sighting corroborated as the potential killer beyond the CCTV of the knife purchase which they believed could've been the killer. It was not.

As for online stuff, there is a massive NPA lab in Chiba alone that I believe has a comprehensive online investigations team. I think they would know where to look.

Agree about the lab in China. They should do it. Maybe some European countries, too. If indeed he is 1/2 European - not sure, though as we have minimal information about his genotype.

As to the "sightings", in early online Japanese websites, they described "an ugly looking young man with shaved head", etc. This is why they can't find him IMHO. He is neither ugly nor a movie star. He may have some personal traits, but not enough to stand out. BTW, even the scars can fade. If he is in Japan, he is limited to their plastic surgeons, but if he is in the US, can go to a plastic surgeon here or in MX for dermabrasion. And, privacy is strong, especially with plastic surgeons, so in a way, it is a dead end.

Agree about the lab in China. They should do it. Maybe some European countries, too. If indeed he is 1/2 European - not sure, though as we have minimal information about his genotype.
Chiba not China!
As to the "sightings", in early online Japanese websites, they described "an ugly looking young man with shaved head", etc. This is why they can't find him IMHO. He is neither ugly nor a movie star. He may have some personal traits, but not enough to stand out. BTW, even the scars can fade. If he is in Japan, he is limited to their plastic surgeons, but if he is in the US, can go to a plastic surgeon here or in MX for dermabrasion. And, privacy is strong, especially with plastic surgeons, so in a way, it is a dead end.
This assumes there ever was any man relevant to the case. If any of these sightings hold water, I’m assuming the TMPD would’ve eliminated them. Otherwise they would’ve said; “we’re still searching for XYZ.” As it stands, I don’t think any single one of those sightings have any sort of foundation. The only one that potentially might’ve gone somewhere, in my estimation anyway, was the Tobu-Nikko injured man. But this was also eliminated.

Chiba not China!

This assumes there ever was any man relevant to the case. If any of these sightings hold water, I’m assuming the TMPD would’ve eliminated them. Otherwise they would’ve said; “we’re still searching for XYZ.” As it stands, I don’t think any single one of those sightings have any sort of foundation. The only one that potentially might’ve gone somewhere, in my estimation anyway, was the Tobu-Nikko injured man. But this was also eliminated.

Sorry for my mistake.
This being said, DNA labs in China have the hugest Asian database.

Honestly, FTDNA which is our commercial genetic lab is the best for genealogy studies, IMHO.

I’ve been watching more news and reports lately and would like to ask for some opinions from you guys on what you think. Some of this is just things that I found interesting and didn’t know previously (apologies if any was mentioned) and to raise some talking points.

First of all I want to talk about the potential method of entry and/or exit being the bathroom window.

Watching the news from the morning of discovery and the moment the police were on the scene, we can see a few things here.

IMG_3589.jpeg
First of all in this image it seems that nothing has been touched at the back of the house yet and the police are just standing and looking at the window. You can see here that the mosquito cover is on the ground and propped up against the fence. The image is not great quality so I’ve circled it.

IMG_3588.jpeg
Secondly you can see now that the police have used a ladder to approach the bathroom window, notice that the mosquito cover is still in the same position which leads me to believe it was already propped up against the fence upon discovery and was not moved there. You can see here a bit clearer that the window was also found wide open on left side.

IMG_3587.jpeg
Here is a close up showing the window being open on the left side.

My thoughts and question here is, if the killer removed the cover and then went inside the window how did it land perfectly propped up against the fence? To me it looks like it was placed there. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that it landed that way after being thrown but it looks placed to me. But then, why would the killer jump back down, place it, and then climb back up again? Or did he abandon the window idea after removing it and enter another way and that’s why it’s propped up? Perhaps the window was unlocked from the inside after all on the way out and not on the way in?

I believe that from these images the bathroom window was found wide open and not just unlocked, so that leaves the possibility he exited from there but whether he entered that way or not leaves me a bit suspicious.
I’d like your thoughts on this.

Next is something I hadn’t seen before and that is the view from the bathroom window. This was taken during the time the press were allowed inside so you can see the blue netting covering the back.

IMG_3567.jpeg
IMG_3568.jpeg
I have circled in the second picture the style of lock the bathroom window had. As I thought it is a simple lock that is turned to fasten and unfasten the window.
Because of this I believe the balcony doors would have had the same style. They are not fantastically sturdy (I have the same style on an old apartment I own in Yokohama) and it is easy to forget to swing the lock back closed again. It is possible the family simply forgot to close it that night on either the bathroom window or the balcony door. But mostly these images I just found interesting and, honestly, also chilling to see the same view that he saw that night.

Next is something I spotted that I found interesting but not really important besides raising a point of discussion I think. On the fridge in the kitchen is a schedule for Seijo Gakuenmae train station. It seems to be an updated schedule and is dated 4th December 2000. Naturally people would have had paper schedules back in the year 2000, but I find it interesting because the killer would have seen it too. It lists the first train of the day from that station and is something he may have thought about. It also shows the family almost definitely used that station before. I wonder about any paths crossed.
IMG_3571.jpeg
IMG_3566.jpeg

Next, from a tv special it shows a graphic of where the sanitary pad with the killers blood on was found discarded and that it was actually next to Mikio’s computer. Before this I hadn’t realised the killer discarded the pads and was just suspected of using them, but circled here you can see where it was found and that the killer was using it to stem his bleeding as he sat at the computer. It indicates he likely used more than one so the bleeding from his hand mustn’t have been no big deal.
I also found it interesting that one of the model planes was found perched on top of the monitor.
IMG_3583.jpeg
IMG_3584.jpeg

Lastly here is a labelled map of the immediate area from Google Earth which has been mentioned here and is a good resource IMO. Since the surroundings are often under discussion here I have labelled where each place is in relation to the house and its proximity.
I hope it is readable as I made the labels rather small.
CAA4F1E1-ED1C-4623-A5B2-74256DCA82E2.jpeg

Does anyone have any opinions on these images and talking points? I would like to hear your thoughts if you have any, even if it doesn’t really tell us anything new. Thanks for allowing such a long post from me!

I totally agree there isn't much of a chance of that window cover landing perfectly against that fence. It seems more logical that the perp would have just dropped it and proceeded to climb through the window.

You have to wonder if the perp was lying in wait watching the house and just got lucky when the Miyazawa's left to go shopping, then climbed up and removed the cover as a preparatory measure.

I see that the sun sets at this time of year in Japan at about 4:38pm so it would have obscured his presence at the back of the house if was getting dark and shadowy. The only issue is what time the family left the house to go shopping which would blow this theory all to hell

I totally agree there isn't much of a chance of that window cover landing perfectly against that fence. It seems more logical that the perp would have just dropped it and proceeded to climb through the window.

You have to wonder if the perp was lying in wait watching the house and just got lucky when the Miyazawa's left to go shopping, then climbed up and removed the cover as a preparatory measure.

I see that the sun sets at this time of year in Japan at about 4:38pm so it would have obscured his presence at the back of the house if was getting dark and shadowy. The only issue is what time the family left the house to go shopping which would blow this theory all to hell
IMG_3593.jpegHere is a picture of the back of the house from 2011. The kid’s park behind has street lamps in it of which one you can see here that is the closest to the back of the house.
The type and strength of bulb from 2000 would highly likely be different to 2011 when this picture was taken, but you can see how illuminated the back of the house was from those lamps.
I’ve circled the bathroom window.

It is possible he wasn’t under much cover of darkness at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back