TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the sake of anyone having doubts about the story changing.

“Still, questions remain as to why Guyger mistook Jean’s apartment for her own and how she was able to get inside. The police officer was a tenant of the building for only about a month, the Morning News reported.

“Rawlings told reporters Saturday afternoon that Guyger was able to get inside Jean's apartment because the door was open. But that claim was contradicted Saturday evening by a FOX 4 reporter who cited police as saying Guyger was on the wrong floor and the door was closed.

Then the reporter:
Dallas police tell me the just off shift officer who shot and killed a man in his own apartment, was on the WRONG FLOOR. HER apartment was on another floor. Her key didn’t work in the door. Shooting happened shortly after resident opened his own door.”

11:14 AM - Sep 7, 2018 · Plano, TX

Amber Guyger, police officer named in Dallas fatal shooting, shot a suspect in 2017: report

“DA says her office has not received results of blood drawn from officer Amber Guyger the night she allegedly mistook #BothamJean’s Apartment for her own & shot him 2X, killing him. Unknown if results are even in.

D.A. Says she had a “spirited debate” for abt 2 hrs yesterday with Texas Rangers. They decided to go w/manslaughter charge & allow Amber Guyger to turn herself into Kaufman Co Jail. “

Maria Guerrero on Twitter

“DA says her office has not received results of blood drawn from officer Amber Guyger the night she allegedly mistook #BothamJean’s Apartment for her own & shot him 2X, killing him. Unknown if results are even in.

D.A. Says she had a “spirited debate” for abt 2 hrs yesterday with Texas Rangers. They decided to go w/manslaughter charge & allow Amber Guyger to turn herself into Kaufman Co Jail. “

Maria Guerrero on Twitter

Any clue what the debate was about? Did the DA want different charges or to wait?

Let's imagine this scenario ended differently. If, being startled by someone trying to get in his door, Botham had shot the officer/intruder. Stand your ground or not, he'd have been arrested tout de suite IMO.

They need to stop faffing around because it just makes and already murky situation more suspicious.

I agree.

The inequity and special treatment she is receiving is unethical and highly disturbing

Good question.
I'd like to know about the parking situation.
Did she park on the wrong floor or take the elevator and get off on the wrong floor? I've read both stories. moo
Rawlings said Sunday that Guyger had parked on the wrong floor of the building's parking garage.
Dallas officer charged in shooting death parked on wrong floor, mayor says

Morning News: Explaining the Botham Jean Shooting

A white Dallas police officer who shot and killed a black neighbor in his home and later said she mistook his apartment for her own parked on the wrong floor of the complex's garage after getting home from work that night, the city's mayor said.

Many questions remain about the shooting. But on Monday, the Dallas County medical examiner's office said that he died of a gunshot wound to the chest and that it had ruled his death a homicide.
Texas officer faces manslaughter charge in neighbor's death

Last edited:
If somebody breaks into your house, don't tell me you aren't in reasonable fear of bodily harm or death. What do you think they are there to do, sell cookies?
I was talking about THIS case. He wasn't breaking into what she thought was her home---he was already there.
Did they find a butcher knife next to his body that she saw him holding? A gun? A sledge hammer? She had to have believed DEADLY force was IMMEDIATELY necessary. That's what the doctrine says. Why did she believe that?

I was talking about THIS case. He wasn't breaking into what she thought was her home---he was already there.
Did they find a butcher knife next to his body that she saw him holding? A gun? A sledge hammer? She had to have believed DEADLY force was IMMEDIATELY necessary. That's what the doctrine says. Why did she believe that?
Oh snap Rocco, that will probably be the next thing we hear “he had a weapon” ...

What I got from that news conference:

Lawyers obtained video and witness accounts that police and rangers did not have and it was easily done

Seems they want more clarity and feel disgusted she left the scene out of handcuffs. They feel she should of been arrested at the time of the shooting.

Also family attorney’s seem to be wishing for stronger charges

Jmo

Every time an unarmed civilian is killed by a cop, the social fabric frays a little further and faith in the rule of law takes a grave hit.

That Jean, a black man, was killed by a white cop only adds to the tragedy. A sacred contract exists between police and the people they protect and serve. We grant them extraordinary powers and need them to do their duty to keep the rest of us safe. We also expect them to use those powers wisely.
Even if everything Amber Guyger says is true, her decision to shoot Botham Jean was a crime | Commentary | Dallas News

Last edited:
Dallas LE has stated the two didn’t know each other

This is patently false and is verified by social media photos showing them standing next to each other in at least one small group photo, possibly touching, at social functions. This information comes from the same source that provided the video footage of the aftermath of the shooting.

LE has a helluva lot of explaining to do.

That’s not her.

Much public criticism has been aimed at the Rangers and the Dallas Police Department for allowing Guyger to remain free for three days after the shooting. Johnson didn’t take the bait when asked her thoughts on that decision, saying only that the Texas Rangers had led the investigation and that the decisions made were theirs alone. She said her investigators had been meeting with witnesses and reviewing evidence; they had not interviewed Guyger, but the Texas Rangers made their chat with her available to the district attorney’s office. Johnson also declined to discuss the details of the case, saying that she feared that it would jeopardize her ability to find an impartial jury. Attorney Lee Merritt, who represents the Jean family, said Monday that he had provided new video and other evidence to the district attorney.

“We’re gonna unravel whatever we need to unravel and we’re gonna un-turn whatever we need to un-turn and we’re gonna present a full case to the grand jury of Dallas County,” she said. “We will not ever compromise our investigation” by speaking about the facts of the incident.
Dallas County DA: 'We Are Not Through' - D Magazine

She had lived there a month, him much longer.
Her apartment was directly below his.
No the same key does not open every door.
He opened the door for her.

Now I have heard two versions:

1. He opened the LOCKED door for her

2. The door was UNLOCKED and she entered the apartment

They can’t both be true: Which one is it Dallas LE & Texas Rangers. You’ve given us both versions, evidently based on her story.

Let’s get to the truth.

I just wanted to say that when I lived in an apartment on the top floor I would frequently go to the apartment right below me thinking it was my apt and try to get the door open. Sometimes I would fumble with the key for quite a while before realizing it was the wrong apt. Thank goodness the door was never open or anyone thought I was breaking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member