TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DmxEGWZUwAAoSA7.jpg
DmxEGWZUwAAoSA7.jpg
I hope I am not duplicating this thread is going so fast (two things)
Matt Howerton (@HowertonNews) | Twitter
Dallas mayor, councilman feud over handling of Botham Jean shooting

Last edited:
Fort Worth Star TelegramCrowd gathers to protest shooting death of Botham Jean | Fort Worth ...53 secs ago

Snip from below listed link::
District Attorney Faith Johnson said she was part of a “spirited discussion” with investigators from the Texas Rangers.

And I’m not challenging them on their viewpoint," she said at a news conference Monday morning. "I think they did a great job in preparing the investigation. But what I’m telling you is that now this case is in the hands of the Dallas County District Attorney.”

The affidavit was released publicly after Johnson’s morning news conference.

Jean’s family stood beside Johnson as she spoke, but later said they wanted more answers.

“The promise of transparency to this family has been a blank check,” attorney Lee Merritt said.

Johnson would not speculate about when the case will be taken to the grand jury.
End Snip:

Dallas DA promises 'equal justice' in Botham Jean shooting death case

does anyone know where she worked before this dept and if she was let go ( i keep going back to addiction of some sort _

it sounds awful but if tox results come back and are ever released and we find heavy dosing of a barb or something or high blood alcohol at some level a lot more does fit into place

i dont know if she moved in 6 days ago might make more sense there has to be some disorientation because we are talking about a time based event where there really was a lot of opporutnites to correct the being lost/

Trust me I , since birth have been unable to process n e w s north etc

all this look up at the sun - how the heck does that help anyone 3 hours of each day the sun if above you makes no sense

but there are ( kinda like a plane crash) a mutlitude of times and visual cues to know something is off,

a blinking light on your floor in the garage, certain similar cars in that general area. elevator buttons waiting area for elevator ) spilled paint or something ) someone having some decoration hanging from their door but the matt is numbing a night owl on your floor . something -- but the real deal is it was a series of "things" that did not register.

The number of turns you make going up the garage . I assume there are large numbers at the turns for what floor your on

Like if it was a complex where you just pull in right before a door get out and walk ten steps that even might make sense when exhausted

I don't know but something is very off

but if that main pic is her mug shot I dont know

Last edited:
I wish that didn’t matter. We sometimes have the tendency to care more about victims when they’ve lived “correctly”. I actually remember some reporter saying how the Parkland shooting was so bad because the kids there are so smar, Anyways a bit off topic, but I do wish we’d stop puttingthe victims on trial.

I agree. It absolutely doesn't matter to me, personally.

This headline makes my head explode.
HE DIDN'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO HER COMMANDS.

He was IN HIS HOME.
She was an INTRUDER.

He probably didn't even have time to process that this was actually happening.
I would have wondered if I was dreaming and it would have taken a few minutes to determine if I was hallucinating. By that time I would have been dead already.

Snipped by me.

I agree with this so hard! If it actually was dark in his apartment, he had probably already gone to bed, if not to sleep, then to relax, watch netflix, whatever. Then someone was banging on the door, so he gets up to see what is going on.

Oh wait. The door was ajar. So instead, he was wandering around his own apartment, in the dark, with the door cracked open. And then some lady walks in! Yelling verbal commands at him! Interrupting his alone time, walking around in the dark!

Sorry, but her stories are getting ridiculous. JMO.

Last edited:
Okay. I am very worked up about this situation. I generally lean toward support of law enforcement. But this is just hinky.

1. I worked and went to law school at the same time. I was basically exhausted for three straight years, so I get walking around like a zombie. I also lived in huge apartment building where you could get off on the wrong floor. I know I did just that more than once. Something always clued me in quickly that I was not in the right place. A strange door decoration or doormat. Whatever. Even if I got all the way to the wrong door and it was miraculously open, I would have realized immediately upon opening it that it was not in my place. Even in the dark, the hall light would show furniture placement, pictures on walls, etc were different. I actually experienced an upstairs neighbor thinking my place was his and trying to enter my apartment ( he was drunk). I yelled through the door that he was on the wrong floor and he ran away, super embarrassed.

2. If I somehow still believed it was my place, once I found the door was open I would have turned myself around and called for help - because it’s obviously a break-in. Even if you’re a LEO, why go in alone?

3. Why is it that his failure to follow her “commands” is being portrayed as an explanation/mitigating factor for why this happened? She was not there as a LEO. She had no right to enter. She was the intruder. On what planet is failure to follow the commands of someone unlawfully in YOUR dwelling a justification for being shot?

I really don’t understand and I think there is more to this story.

SBM:
With candles in hand and tears in their eyes, people at the vigil are now involved in making sure Jean’s legacy extends beyond this campus and beyond that tragic day.

“We want to remember a life well lived and something about Harding is that we’re a community, and we come together and so when one of us hurts all of us hurt," Jana Rucker, Vice President of Communications at Harding said.

A night filled with the sting of sadness and an underlying hope for social justice.

“I hope more than anything that we come together, and we realize that every life matters," Robison said.

Harding Community Mourns Classmate Killed in Dallas

Mmmmm................ I wonder if they searched her residence for narcotics or other contraband.
No, but they searched the victim's residence. Without consent. Probably tested his blood as well for drugs. Looking for probable cause to blame him for getting shot in his home.

I teach "Orientation and Mobility" to blind people, how to get around with a white cane. And even the most confused folks can check numbers, note a rug...very few get messed up like her, usually blind, deaf, with dementia.

Last edited:
I guess it's not clear to me whether or not she was initially interviewed at the scene. I know it was eventually turned over to the Rangers, but who processed the scene? Didn't DPD take some kind of statement from her in the beginning? Before the decision was made to have the Rangers handle it? I would love to read her initial accounting of what happened. The one she didn't have two days to come up with.

Knowingly and willingly.
She pointed a gun of her own free will and shot to kill.
Sure sounds knowingly and willingly to me.

Absolutely. Another thing that goes totally against her training. She doesn't clear the rest of the apartment! Maybe because she realized it wasn't hers? Still odd that she did not check it.

I missed that she DID administer first aid. I hope that is true. It would make me feel slightly better at least.

So am I. Very angry. This one has hit me very hard.

Wouldn't you think that she would have wondered why her dog wasn't barking? Or worried about her dog? Checked on her dog? If I thought there was a burglar in my home and my dog was silent I would be FREAKING OUT. Then again... my human children say my dog is my favorite child so...

It was initially handled as an officer involved shooting. The police chief said that when explaining it was complicated. Because she was in uniform and with her service weapon but off duty... it was complex.

if she had a dog forget it !!

SBM:
A group of protesters broke off from a demonstration in front of Dallas police headquarters Monday night and marched through Downtown Dallas to call for justice in the Thursday shooting death of Botham Jean.

Dallas police officers closed off streets and blocked traffic as protesters marched. However, the group was met with officers mounted on horseback as it neared Dallas Police Association headquarters.

When the group was on its way to DPA headquarters, one police officer fired a pepperball gun into the ground near the intersection of Cadiz Street and Lamar Street. No one appeared to be hurt when the non-lethal weapon was fired.

Demonstrators said they will continue to protest what they see as preferential treatment of a police officer.
Protesters Call for 'Justice for Bo' in Downtown Dallas

SBM:
“It is heartbreaking,” said Rev. Frederick D. Haynes, Senior Pastor of Friendship West Baptist church, reacting to the death of 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean. “We want this to stop! We really would like to feel served and protected by the blue: that’s what we are calling for!”
Dallas Faith Community On Death Of Botham Jean: 'Just Feels So Wrong'

What right has she to give "verbal commands"? What obligation did he have to respond? None to both answers.
So she kills him?
Arrogant so and so. Who the heck does she think she is that off-duty she can give "verbal commands" and expect them to be obeyed instantly? Are other cops like this? What the heck? Not to mention in a person's own home, when he's relaxing and doing whatever else one does in his own home...
Maybe Arrogant or Overconfidant is the problem. She made a whole series of errors ending in an innocent man's death without her noticing her own errors.
Mmmmm................ I wonder if they searched her residence for narcotics or other contraband.
Jen17 - does that look like boilerplate language about the "contraband, such as narcotics" to you? All the other items mostly belonged to AG except cell phone and laptop.

The DA and the Judge have a tight relationship and have worked well together many years inside the Family Violence Court in and around Dallas and Denton counties. They are defenders of the voiceless before they were both elected. I think they will be quite sympathetic to justice for this young man and against this careless young lady.

I think her mugshot looks like she poured a bottle of gin down her gullet and is still at her pitty party . I’m nervous for Alyssa the neighbor quoted in the news article. She’s speaking very freely on twitter about specific aspects of her witness to the murder. I cannot believe LE hasn’t told her to shush. She’ll be a huge part of the prosecutions case. IMO

The DA and the Judge have a tight relationship and have worked well together many years inside the Family Violence Court in and around Dallas and Denton counties. They are defenders of the voiceless before they were both elected. I think they will be quite sympathetic to justice for this young man and against this careless young lady.

I think her mugshot looks like she poured a bottle of gin down her gullet and is still at her pitty party . I’m nervous for Alyssa the neighbor quoted in the news article. She’s speaking very freely on twitter about specific aspects of her witness to the murder. I cannot believe LE hasn’t told her to shush. She’ll be a huge part of the prosecutions case. IMO
I am not sure that she can be denied her freedom of speech. Unless a court tells her to shut up, when if she keeps on she can be charged with contempt of court, why try to silence her. I thought that Americans were big on freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder