TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something was not right with her to not realize she was at the wrong apartment after her key wasn't working.

I also don't know if manslaughter is the proper charge in a case like this when she was literally trying to enter someone's home. I know if this was a regular citizen, the charges would be more severe.

I agree with all of the above. I wish the DA would have directly left open the possibility of enhanced charges if the investigation warrants them.

The totality of the circumstances for the mistake or "mistake" just don't seem plausible. Was the officer in a relationship with the victim? Had she had contact with him that led to a dispute- perhaps based in jealousy?

In short, the "wrong apartment" claim could be what the shooter grasped on to during the initial interview. Once committed, she stuck with it. I strongly suspect that there are other motivations.

But shouting at them would tell them that you're there and they might go out via a back exit....wouldn't it be better to call 911 and say there's a burglary in progress?

So this is where I am at. If you go to what you think is your apartment and are an officer in your gear, you should have the ability to simply take note of what is going on and if you think its odd, call for help. There are so many options here for a training peace officer. Yes she is coming off a 12 hour shift, but 5 years into the job surely she is used to the hours - no? There has to be a lot more to this story.

She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment.
Warrant Coming for Officer Who Killed Man in Dallas Apt.

Lock her up.

So this is how she didn't recognise that the inside of the apartment was different...she shot him in the doorway? I guess that answers that question.

I hope the neighbors heard anything that was said between them. We don't have enough information here. I guess some people, hearing a key being tried in their lock, might go to the door with a gun...but if he had a gun how did she manage to get her gun out and shoot him? It seems like if she'd taken a few steps back and talked to him instead of shooting that the whole thing would have been cleared up.

So how did she get to the point of pulling her gun out of its holster, and then how did she get to the point of firing the gun? What made her feel that her life was in danger from this man answering the door?

I would think that, pending further investigation, manslaughter would be the reasonable charge at this point. That charge can be amended at a future date if necessary.

I also wonder if she would have done anything different if it was a white man answering the door? We don't know that it would have changed her actions. For the want of a few seconds thought and talking, one man is dead and a woman is looking at maybe 25 years in prison for something that should never have ended this way.

I think what bothers me so much about what happened here is that it could have been any one of us. Unless there is information we are not privy to at the moment (if they knew one another, etc...), imagine being in your home and you hear the sounds of someone messing with the lock/door, etc...

It's not here, but I've seen a lot of people on social media asking why the victim opened his door wearing only his underwear as if he was wrong? He was at HOME! He was more than likely settled down for the night and could have even been asleep when she began trying to use her key to get into his home.

I'm still so confused at how she wasn't able to comprehend that she was at the wrong apartment after attempting to use her key to enter his home after multiple attempts?

I still really hope that there is some type of security cameras for the hallways because I would like to know how long she was trying to enter his home.

Because the victim cannot speak for himself, I'd also like to have a firm timeline from the time she clocked out and when she arrived home.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who work 14-hour-shifts (myself included) so exhaustion doesn't fly with me.

The fact that she was not immediately brought in for an interview and immediately made to submit to a drug/alcohol screening makes the Investigators seem extremely inept but possibly even trying to cover up for one of their own.

Notice the language in the articles - "she was tired” “after working a long shift” “she mistakenly” “she was confronted”...already painting the white killer cop as a victim/innocent.

The "she was confronted" makes me so mad. How did he confront her? She was trying to enter his home!! He opened his door and SHE confronted him with two bullets to the chest.

Notice the language in the articles - "she was tired” “after working a long shift” “she mistakenly” “she was confronted”...already painting the white killer cop as a victim/innocent.

That is common for the initial reports will be based on what is told to LE. In the case of little Jordan Belliveau, the initial reporting, and even all the way until his mother's arrest, was that the mother was the innocent victim of an assault and the abduction of her child.

Any time we hear these stories, I think it's really important to take the information and look at it without either party being described by the color of their skin. I would agree that in some situations after doing that and if it seems that 9/10 times it wouldn't have happened that way, then look to see if race might have an impact. Or if there are racial epithets being shouted during an assault, then you might be able to ascertain a racial aspect to it. And even then I think we need to be careful because sometimes people talk in epithets and they might call a person of a more similar skintone to themselves something like "fatty" or "four eyes".

The reality of our world is that people of varying skin colors interact with each other all the time as *people*. We don't normally interact as skin colors, whether the interaction is positive, neutral, or negative in nature.

The "she was confronted" makes me so mad. How did he confront her? She was trying to enter his home!! He opened his door and SHE confronted him with two bullets to the chest.

Yes, and no. I agree with you on first reading of it. But if you read it as police language it has a different connotation which does not imply that he was aggressive but more of a connotation of 'encountered' in normal language.

I'm real guilty of assuming color.I heard black victim white cop but I didn't hear female before any of that was mentioned that was the picture in my brain.

<modsnipped info with no msm link>Strange things happen with law enforcement almost daily in that state.

It happens here too. A lot of domestic violence issues involving Law Enforcement and a lot of cases have revealed that they are extremely protected by their Departments, Prosecutors, Judges, etc... until someone is murdered. It's a huge issue in a lot of places. I won't get into all the other crimes committed by Law Enforcement since I want to stay on topic.

I don't know what to believe? I don't know if they were dating, but if they were dating and she was trying to break into his home and then murdered him as he answered the door... I would expect First Degree Murder Charges in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an msm source that the perp and victim knew each other, or how well they were acquainted before the shooting?

We're not supposed to post things from social media even if a rumor comes from a relative or neighbor, we're supposed to wait for it to appear in msm.

It happens here too. A lot of domestic violence issues involving Law Enforcement and a lot of cases have revealed that they are extremely protected by their Departments, Prosecutors, Judges, etc... until someone is murdered. It's a huge issue in a lot of places. I won't get into all the other crimes committed by Law Enforcement since I want to stay on topic.

I don't know what to believe? I don't know if they were dating, but if they were dating and she was trying to break into his home and then murdered him as he answered the door... I would expect First Degree Murder Charges in the near future.
I can't believe Texas has allowed law enforcement to terrorize their citizens for years and its not just criminals that are murdered or missing.Sorry to go off topic I just belong to alot of cold case and corruption groups for Texas

not saying they are.But in my expierence social media works more often than mainstream media reporting the same press conference over and over.I know ws rules.
Social media also spreads a lot of false information because anybody on social media could make a claim and there is no verification. I could claim to be a neighbor and how would anyone really know the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louiwebb