TX TX - Brian Thomas Vargo, 20, Austin, 9 March 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"United States Public Records, 1970-2009", database, FamilySearch (FamilySearch.org : 2 August 2020), Brian Vargo, 2007.

View attachment 317801

Not sure what this means, and if it is useful to anyone @MadMcGoo you are good with understanding family tree stuff right? do you know what household identifier is?
Interesting. Unfortunately I’m not real familiar with familysearch.org so I’m not sure what that identifier is.

"United States Public Records, 1970-2009", database, FamilySearch (FamilySearch.org : 2 August 2020), Brian Vargo, 2007.

View attachment 317801

Not sure what this means, and if it is useful to anyone @MadMcGoo you are good with understanding family tree stuff right? do you know what household identifier is?

Document information in historical records • FamilySearch

The link above may help.

Household ID: The household number found on the census. This is different from the family number as some households had more than one family.

I feel like this may be a bit far fetched, but as I was going through young white male UIDs from the late 70s I ran across the 6 still unidentified John Wayne Gacy victims. Several of his victims were picked up at the main Chicago bus station, and evidently Brian was last seen after being dropped off by his mother at Houston's bus station. Known non-Chicago area victims were from other locations in the midwest like Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kalamazoo. None of those identified have been from as far away as Texas, but that might be a key factor as to why they went unidentified in the first place. Most of those still unidentified were killed sometime between summer 1976 and summer 1977. That time period fits nicely if we are to assume Brain drifted around the country "to find himself" following his withdrawal from classes on March 9th, 1976 and knowing there was no activity on his Social Security number after 1976.

Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

Victim 28 - 954UMIL is definitely not Brain due to being killed before July 31st, 1975.

Victim 26 - 956UMIL doesn't seem likely due to missing the two upper front teeth and being 5'4". Likely killed between June 13th, 1976 and August 6th, 1976.

That leaves:
Victim 5 - 958UMIL doesn't seem to be the most likely due to having a key fob with the name "Greg" on it and being estimated as 22-32 years old. Likely killed between January 20th, 1976 and March 15th, 1977.

Victim 10's - 957UMIL reconstructions clearly show a broad facial structure, which doesn't seem to fit Brian. But, that's only my non-expert opinion. Possibly (listed as low confidence at the Cook County SO link) killed between March 15th, 1977 and July 5th, 1977.

Victim 13- 955UMIL Likely killed between August 6th, 1976 and October 5th, 1976

Victim 21- 962UMIL Likely killed between August 6th, 1976 and October 25th, 1976

I have attempted to call and email the contacts sited on the web page. I believe it is an officer or detective. But NO one has replied to my emails or answered the phone.

This is just an observation that I am throwing out there.
This marked below is Colorado county in Texas. Is it possible that this is where he went to sell his car rather than Colorado State? Does anyone know if it is confirmed he went to Colorado State. It just seems like such a long ride to sell a car.

upload_2021-10-24_12-6-51.png

This is just an observation that I am throwing out there.
This marked below is Colorado county in Texas. Is it possible that this is where he went to sell his car rather than Colorado State? Does anyone know if it is confirmed he went to Colorado State. It just seems like such a long ride to sell a car.

View attachment 318679
The car was supposedly broken down while traveling and remained in Colorado state. That would explain why he had to travel back to Colorado to sell it.

I suspect Brian can be one of 5 unidentified Gacy victims - Body 21. Body 21' height is 5'8'-6'0", Brian's height is 6'0". Both had light brown hair. Both hadn't distinguishing features (such as previously fractured arm, chipped tooth and etc.). Face line is similiar. Briand disappeared in 1976, Body 21 was murdered in 1976

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 7
  • Body_21.jpg
    Body_21.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 7
I suspect Brian can be one of 5 unidentified Gacy victims - Body 21. Body 21' height is 5'8'-6'0", Brian's height is 6'0". Both had light brown hair. Both hadn't distinguishing features (such as previously fractured arm, chipped tooth and etc.). Face line is similiar. Briand disappeared in 1976, Body 21 was murdered in 1976

I’ve tried contacting the detective in that case. I haven’t heard back. But we have DNA on file and finger prints in the national data base, so they would have access to matching if it does.

I’ve tried contacting the detective in that case. I haven’t heard back. But we have DNA on file and finger prints in the national data base, so they would have access to matching if it does.

I believe the Gacy victims have DNA in CODIS. Not sure they'd have fingerprints for any of the remaining victims due to decomposition. Is Brian's DNA now in CODIS as well?

That was a really informative article. It was sad to see the last photo taken of him.
A. told Dateline that at the time, her grandmother tried to find Brian, but faced roadblocks with the police. “My grandmother was told -- whenever she attempted to contact the police -- that he was an adult and maybe he just went missing because he wanted to...
Also very sad that police wouldn't take a formal report and do what they could, in case he was endangered. I'm glad he is formally recognized as a missing person now.

That was a really informative article. It was sad to see the last photo taken of him.
A. told Dateline that at the time, her grandmother tried to find Brian, but faced roadblocks with the police. “My grandmother was told -- whenever she attempted to contact the police -- that he was an adult and maybe he just went missing because he wanted to...
Also very sad that police wouldn't take a formal report and do what they could, in case he was endangered. I'm glad he is formally recognized as a missing person now.
Yes; reading this particular article almost made me cry. It does a great job of introducing quite a few people from different parts of Brian’s life (mostly school/Austin and family/Houston) and their respective perspectives. I had a hard time academically the first two years of college (was placed on probation after the second semester and had to take a semester off before going back eventually), so I really sympathize. In my case, over 30 years later, I still very much struggle with major depressive disorder, PTSD, OCD, anorexia, etc., which, anorexia had already started in middle school, but everything else became symptomatic around the time I got to college it seems. I hope Brian didn’t have to deal with that stuff.

@inmyhumbleopinion
Hugs to you. I have empathy for your struggles.
I have had my own battles, including serious depression (can only imagine what college could be like without that) and one thing that I noticed from this article -

BTV was clearly highly intelligent and talented, doing well the first year -- but then decided to stop.
“I did find a letter that he wrote to my father that said, ‘I just need to get away. I need to take some time [from the same article]...
So he was really going through something very significant.

I wonder how much of it was related to his disappearance?
Did he even know why he felt the need to get away?
Was he planning to return but met up with the wrong person or misadventure? Or did he get overwhelmed by something like depression?
He seems like such a great kid, and it's truly sad if he didn't get to live a full life and that his family has missed him for so long.

@inmyhumbleopinion
Hugs to you. I have empathy for your struggles.
I have had my own battles, including serious depression (can only imagine what college could be like without that) and one thing that I noticed from this article -

BTV was clearly highly intelligent and talented, doing well the first year -- but then decided to stop.
“I did find a letter that he wrote to my father that said, ‘I just need to get away. I need to take some time [from the same article]...
So he was really going through something very significant.

I wonder how much of it was related to his disappearance?
Did he even know why he felt the need to get away?
Was he planning to return but met up with the wrong person or misadventure? Or did he get overwhelmed by something like depression?
He seems like such a great kid, and it's truly sad if he didn't get to live a full life and that his family has missed him for so long.
Thank you so much, and hugs right back to you.

Exactly. Of course, I don’t know what happened to Brian. I don’t pretend to. But something like depression or anxiety can be serious enough to make a person go away for ever … I know I could have if it weren’t for serious treatment (therapy, meds, seeing the psychiatrist on a regular basis, etc.). Even then, it isn’t 100%.

I just hope that the family learns where he is. And soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj
Back