TX - Central Texas Flash Floods leave missing and deceased victims, May 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Up listening to the Dallas and Garland scanners until the wee hours of the morning. This one was too close for comfort. Our rain gauge this morning showed we got 3.5" of rain last night. The immediate communities just to our south, east, and north were hit with 3-6" of rain and bad flash floods on at least two dozen highways all night long, and there were so many high water rescues going on (the car submerged, subject on roof or swept-away-into-creek variety), that the dispatcher couldn't tend to his continual list of 20 or more waiting calls. (And yes, our home-from-college daughter was still out visiting a girlfriend with option of spending the night--and it was too late to call her, so I was obsessively manning the scanner....)

Poor LE--I couldn't believe it, but some people in cars just didn't seem to understand what was happening in the dark and confusion until too late. One woman in a car sailed past the parked police or ambulance on the highway that was there to block traffic, and was swept right into the creek. I listened through that rescue. More than one emergency vehicle got trapped in high water just trying to keep others out of it.

These are not just random roads--these are on so many major, major highways, ones with concrete lane barriers and no option of u-turn...Loop 12, Pres George Bush, I-20- and I-30... I'm watching on TV right now a helicopter view--there are miles and miles of cars 4-6 lanes wide with people just walking around or standing around waiting for the water to recede from an exit or underpass. Not going anywhere soon! A Hwy I was on just a few days ago flooded and closed. Exit I routinely used off a thoroughfare in our previous neighborhood was flooded with multiple cars trapped. But the dispatcher last night couldn't even deal with all the stranded or blocked vehicles at flooded overpasses; the repeated priority all night long was the water rescues--people floating in cars or stranded in flooding apartments needing evacuation to higher ground. So eerie to hear the scanner talking about all these familiar streets and intersections underwater! I've never heard or seen this in 30+ years of living down here. And more rain coming today...

Just watching this on CNN right now...WHAT A DAMN MESS!!!!!!!!!!!

That water on that freeway isn't going down...like you said...anytime soon!!!

Please be safe...and will repeat - God Bless Texas, and her wonderful citizens!!!!!

I just got in from many errands and roads were ok. Most ditches are small rivers but no roads under where I am, southern denton county , northern tarrant county . But I am scared to see what Houston's got going on now. All this rain went straight for them.

And although it's not relevant to the flooding, I cannot say how heartbroken I am about the 12 yr old girl missing in the gulf. She went on a school field trip from a Houston school to Galveston. Earlier the schools in Houston were all closed for flooding and I think what if they'd been flooded one more and no school? Maybe the field trip would not have happened. Or if there had been no flooding would the water have been so rough? I don't really know much about gulf waters and if flooding rivers and creeks emptying into it cause it to be rougher or not. But shes' still missing and its' very sad :(

http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/...wisville-lake-nearing-its-100-year-floodplain
Lake Lewisville flood concerns

''Unlike newer lakes like Ray Roberts Lake, land surrounding the major Denton County water source was not set aside for potential flooding when it was built more than 50 years ago. Cities with a combined population of more than 400,000 touch borders of the lake.''
( not to mention it cuts off a ton of people from Dallas if it goes over I 35 . )

http://www.fox4news.com/category/264130/stream-1

Interstate through Dallas blocked by high water. TXDOT opened up lanes to let cars go opposite direction on freeway after being there up to 7 hrs.

This was amazing to watch. TXGOT brought in a crane with a claw and literally lifted up and removed two of the concrete freeway lane barriers. Had to clear that miles-long logjam of trapped cars...we've got flash flood warnings up through noon tomorrow.

I live in Johnson County, and currently we have 45 roads shut down due to flooding. My daughter's work, south on 35 in Burleson is mostly under water right now.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonVolunteersForLostandFoundPets

'''To those asking about where to donate, please keep in mind that there are unscrupulous people out there already posting to ask for donations! Do NOT fall victim to these people!!! We Texans take a whole lot of pride in helping each other out in the event of natural disasters! We have so many volunteers on the ground searching and helping people right now! We have HEB and Whataburger handing out free food and drinks, as well as a multitude of individuals giving their time to help those in need. Our Governor Abbott has already began the process of a natural disaster declaration, and the Red Cross has been helping out all over Texas. Please contact the Red Cross, HEB or Whataburger and ask them what you can do in the way of a donation. Also, Texas EquiSearch is always in need of donations. They are the absolute best worldwide when it comes to search and rescue, so please consider them if you would like to donate to help the state of Texas.''''

Greatness!

https://www.facebook.com/ntxstorms/posts/940178932706725?notif_t=notify_me

'''Lake Lewisville expected to reach 100-year floodplain. The Old Record set on May 4th,1990 was at 536.73 ft. The Current Lake Level is at 535.74 ft.
At 536 feet, several areas face potential flooding; at 537 feet, flooding becomes a significant issue in surrounding communities from Oak Point, Little Elm and The Colony to Lake Dallas, Highland Village and Lewisville.'''

uhoh.......

https://www.facebook.com/ntxstorms/posts/940178932706725?notif_t=notify_me

'''Lake Lewisville expected to reach 100-year floodplain. The Old Record set on May 4th,1990 was at 536.73 ft. The Current Lake Level is at 535.74 ft.
At 536 feet, several areas face potential flooding; at 537 feet, flooding becomes a significant issue in surrounding communities from Oak Point, Little Elm and The Colony to Lake Dallas, Highland Village and Lewisville.'''

uhoh.......

SCHMAE

still raining?

I got a post saying Flower Mound PD was going to close the ' dam road' ( between flower mound and grapevine ) at 8 pm tonight because of the rising water. Now Grapevine PD says the road is already closed. Not sure if that was a mis communication in the alerts or if they decided to close it earlier than they thought because of rising water. Either way, it's going to create a big mess. The lakes cannot take any more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kr1230
Back