TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Welcome Eva01! Thank you so much for the interest in my sister's case. My family appreciates it. I don't know how people can help. It seems that there is alot of things to review - DNA evidence, note, etc. but nothing has ever been solved. I also live in Houston and this is a well known case so I would think it would get more attention. A new set of eyes on everything always helps.

We lived right by Stratford growing up but we went to Robert E. Lee high school.

Welcome Eva01! Thank you so much for the interest in my sister's case. My family appreciates it. I don't know how people can help. It seems that there is alot of things to review - DNA evidence, note, etc. but nothing has ever been solved. I also live in Houston and this is a well known case so I would think it would get more attention. A new set of eyes on everything always helps.

We lived right by Stratford growing up but we went to Robert E. Lee high school.

Speaking of the DNA...Do you know the last time the DNA was checked? I know there has been recent enhancements in DNA testing, where they can distinguish certain physical characteristics of the donor even if there is no match. Things such as race, skin complexion and other pertinent information. The lab with the best reputation for DNA testing is there in Texas.

I went to Lee, but we moved my sophomore year. I went to college out of state and didn't move back until after grad school. I thought I read Cheryl went to Dulles.

She went to Clements but when our parents married we all went to Lee

Speaking of the DNA...Do you know the last time the DNA was checked? I know there has been recent enhancements in DNA testing, where they can distinguish certain physical characteristics of the donor even if there is no match. Things such as race, skin complexion and other pertinent information. The lab with the best reputation for DNA testing is there in Texas.

That's a great question, I was wondering myself how often the perp's DNA gets run through CODIS to check for a match. Mocity, I remember reading that your family has a great relationship with the detective working on the case, have you asked him when the last time it was checked?

That's a great question, I was wondering myself how often the perp's DNA gets run through CODIS to check for a match. Mocity, I remember reading that your family has a great relationship with the detective working on the case, have you asked him when the last time it was checked?

We should ask and I will bring it up. However, this happened a long time ago. Detectives have changed over and over again. The one we had the great relationship with has long retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should ask and I will bring it up. However, this happened a long time ago. Detectives have changed over and over again. The one we had the great relationship with has long retired.

I would definitely ask, ask and ask again. Unfortunately, cold cases such as your sister's get put on the back burner, especially in a big city like Houston with hundreds of murders yearly. Do you have a relationship with someone in the cold cases department? I would beg for the DNA to be run through CODIS again. Unless this monster is dead, I refuse to believe he hasn't committed any other crimes since your sister and Andy.

One big problem with forensic DNA is that it is quite expensive to take a sample and then analyze it, digitalize the profile and then add it to the CODIS database so that it can be compared against an unknown sample. Many states have embarked on very ambitious programs to develop very large databases of DNA but have collected samples from people with criminal backgrounds at a much faster rate than they can add them to their state Database. It is anyone's guess how many unidentified samples taken from crime scenes have a match sitting in a warehouse awaiting processing.

One big problem with forensic DNA is that it is quite expensive to take a sample and then analyze it, digitalize the profile and then add it to the CODIS database so that it can be compared against an unknown sample. Many states have embarked on very ambitious programs to develop very large databases of DNA but have collected samples from people with criminal backgrounds at a much faster rate than they can add them to their state Database. It is anyone's guess how many unidentified samples taken from crime scenes have a match sitting in a warehouse awaiting processing.

Yep. The DNA from the 1990 rape victim wasn't matched to Cheryl's until 2008.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...help-break-notorious-Lover-s-Lane-1635849.php

There was some forensic testing done but I think it basically said "white male".

Yes, DNA testing is expensive. Mocity, that is why you continually need to call, cajole,and let LE know there are people who still care about Cheryl and Andy. Read about the Claremont serial killer case that was solved because of DNA that was JUST tested from evidence left behind from 1988. It could have been solved years ago if only the DNA had been tested earlier.

I agree that there may be DNA that has not been entered into CODIS, but that is a piss poor excuse for not trying to see if there is a match now. (Not attacking the person who brought this point up, I agree with them.)

Serious followers of True Crime are aware that in the last few days, Australian police have made an arrest in the very high profile serial killings that occurred in Perth in 1996-97 known as the Claremont serial murders. The is was solved is rather interesting manner and a similar strategy might yield results in this case and many others where there is DNA from the unknown perpetrator but it has never been matched to any known person.

What they did was to look at unsolved sex crimes that occurred at the same general time and area as the serial murders and subject the evidence obtained to state of the art DNA testing that would not have been possible at the time. The expectation was that they would find a match with the unknown serial killing. The hope was then that one or more of these old cases had a "hot" suspect that was never charged and his DNA could now be compared with the DNA from that crime and the Claremont killings. This appears to be what happened.

In 1988, in Perth near Claremont, someone broke into the home of an 18 year old woman but fled after she resisted his attempt at sexual assault. The perpetrator apparently left a woman's kimono that had been stolen from a nearby clothesline, at the crime scene. It wasn't clear why the kimono was left at the scene but it had been handled by the perpetrator so it was retained as evidence. There was a 20 year old suspect who was never charged. Unlike the US, there are no statute of limitations in criminal cases so cases like this are technically still open. The resent DNA analysis from the kimono matched the known suspect in the attempted sexual assault and the unknown Claremont Serial killer.

In the US, law enforcement agencies sometimes destroy case files once the statute of limitations has passed since prosecution is no longer possible but sometimes they are retained, particularly in sex crimes.

If Houston and neighboring jurisdictions have retained evidence from sex crimes that occurred late 80's early 90's it might be worth while to take a look at them. Particularly interesting would be those that had a strong suspect.

Yes, DNA testing is expensive. Mocity, that is why you continually need to call, cajole,and let LE know there are people who still care about Cheryl and Andy. Read about the Claremont serial killer case that was solved because of DNA that was JUST tested from evidence left behind from 1988. It could have been solved years ago if only the DNA had been tested earlier.

I agree that there may be DNA that has not been entered into CODIS, but that is a piss poor excuse for not trying to see if there is a match now. (Not attacking the person who brought this point up, I agree with them.)

Actually, the cost of DNA testing has come down in recent years. A quick online search shows simple tests available for $22, more complex ones for $150. Assume it's free to run a comparison check on national databases. It's just a simple data search.
Personally, I'd rather see LE spend money on these kinds of programs than on busting small time marijuana users. The US currently spends almost $16 million yr to incarcerate small time marijuana users. Even a small portion of that would be better spent getting murderers and rapists off the streets.

Will do. Unfortunately investigators have changed many many times. The one know just knows us as a cold case. Houston is a big city. Murders every day.

I think my profiling skills are probably not very accurate. I do think it is strange that the person was able to control two people in a wooded area. Did they get attacked in the car first?

I joined the site to see if there was anything specific I could do to assist the families of missing or unsolved crimes. I teach a research course, and thought families might have specific research they need done to help solve their cases that I can have students work on. For example, perhaps there are old press releases you would like resubmitted or updated and sent to stations. I'm in the Houston area, searched, and came across this post. It was just a coincidence I spent part of high school about a mile away from this horrible event.

I wasn't really sure what needs people might have, but I have a lot of people willing to help. Just let me know or point me in the direction of the person to contact. Thanks!

I have been spending the last couple of hours reading this thread and I am so sorry that two young people lost their lives in such a cruel way. My condolences to the families of both Cheryl and Andy.

Although I quote Eva01 this post is directed at you, Mocity. I think you should take up Eva's offer of help from students, even if you don't know exactly which piece of the puzzle that you need help with. Perhaps just give all the information you have to the students and let them form their own picture? Or let them dig through all the newspaper articles and compile the known information? It seems like a lot of links to articles no longer work, and if someone could dig back and find the texts it would be valuable.

2016 is almost finished. Let's hope 2017 is the year the murderer/murderers are brought to justice.

I have been spending the last couple of hours reading this thread and I am so sorry that two young people lost their lives in such a cruel way. My condolences to the families of both Cheryl and Andy.

Although I quote Eva01 this post is directed at you, Mocity. I think you should take up Eva's offer of help from students, even if you don't know exactly which piece of the puzzle that you need help with. Perhaps just give all the information you have to the students and let them form their own picture? Or let them dig through all the newspaper articles and compile the known information? It seems like a lot of links to articles no longer work, and if someone could dig back and find the texts it would be valuable.

2016 is almost finished. Let's hope 2017 is the year the murderer/murderers are brought to justice.

Thanks Billie. Would definitely accept any help from anyone that is offered and can pull together articles as needed. However, our family doesn't know anything that isn't now available to the public. I think sometimes people on these boards think LE tells the family everything they know......,,,, they don't. At this point this is a old cold case so I think they have released most of the information.

Yes, back when Cheryl and Andy were murdered there was NOTHING in that area. I believe it had to be someone who knew the area, because there really would be no reason for anyone to be randomly driving around there late at night. When I was in high school (Stratford High) we used to go there to party, we even had a name for it but it escapes me now. Now of course it looks nothing like what it used to, it's completely built up.

Ha yes I remember the old West Belt that is now Beltway 8.

Yes it was a area for everyone to go and hang out, listen to music, meet up with friends and drink some. When I spoke of it to police it all of a sudden became a "lovers lane" which it really wasn't. That was going in most likely but it was more of a hanging out place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlennOthram