TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there a chance that the note was from the killer and the killer died after sending the ransom note? Like he sent the note, then was in an accident? Have you checked obits for people that died within a few days of the note being written?
This is a great idea.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Does anyone have any suggestions about the kind of job this suspect may have had? To summarise:

He was free from, say 1am -3am during the rape attack, (allowing time for him to break in, wait, carry out the rape at 2am and then leave).

And from say 11pm -1am during the murders (allowing time for him to get to the 'lover's lane, murder Cheryl and Andy, and then leave).

I do think both these attacks required some forward planning, and these 'reccys' would have also been in the late night/very early morning hours.

If he'd had a normal 9-5, I'd have thought these were pretty late hours to keep. So maybe he didn't start work until late in the day. What could his job have been?
A server at a restaurant could have the work hours to manage this and wear a uniform. A security guard. Someone who owns their own business. Someone who does shift work. Who dresses similar to the military to do their job?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Welcome JRF1964, and thanks for posting. I so much want to see Cheryl's and Andy's murderer caught. Who knows what other atrocious crimes their killer(s) has committed.

Hello all! I'm new to the site, but I joined specifically for this case. My mother tried to contact the Cold Case detective working this case with a potential lead and he was very dismissive and rude. I'm nervous about what to post due to the nature and occupation of the person we suspect is connected (extremely violent and is currently in law enforcement).

Mocity:

My name is Bill Thomas. My sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims in the Colonial Parkway Murders, in which four young couples were killed in lovers lanes in Virginia from 1986 to 1989. Has anyone ever mentioned this case to you? There are a number of similarities.

Please let me know if you would.

Many thanks.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Sorry Bill; I just saw this and hope you are still around and I remember discussing your sister's and related cases with you on another thread. Yes, there are similarities and the timing could indicate that the killer relocated in late 89 or early 90.

Hello all! I'm new to the site, but I joined specifically for this case. My mother tried to contact the Cold Case detective working this case with a potential lead and he was very dismissive and rude. I'm nervous about what to post due to the nature and occupation of the person we suspect is connected (extremely violent and is currently in law enforcement).

Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome6:

I am sorry that the Cold Case Investigator acted the way you described. My recommendation would be for you (or your mom) to contact the State Attorney General's office with the information you have. Explain to then that the suspect you mentioned is working in LE and that you had contacted the cold-case investigator and your idea was dismissed. They may be able to help you.

Also, I am not sure which Dept the investigator works for, but if it is a local PD or sheriff's office, you may want to contact the Texas State Police. Good luck and best wishes!

There are several Texans on here. Maybe some of them will step forward and offer to help.

Thank you TedMac! I went ahead and sent mocity all the details that we had and asked if she(?) had a contact she trusted for us to reach out to. We have a family friend in North Texas who is in the PD and he tried reaching out to the officer first. He was just as rude and dismissive to him. I will try the State Attorney General and possibly also the TX State Police as well. This person is a VERY scary individual and has a number of things that potentially link him to this crime. I realize this doesn't mean that he did this for sure, but we have some family that is pretty convinced that he is involved in some way and have been too scared to do anything about it. Thanks again for the advice!!

Thank you TedMac! I went ahead and sent mocity all the details that we had and asked if she(?) had a contact she trusted for us to reach out to. We have a family friend in North Texas who is in the PD and he tried reaching out to the officer first. He was just as rude and dismissive to him. I will try the State Attorney General and possibly also the TX State Police as well. This person is a VERY scary individual and has a number of things that potentially link him to this crime. I realize this doesn't mean that he did this for sure, but we have some family that is pretty convinced that he is involved in some way and have been too scared to do anything about it. Thanks again for the advice!!

You are certainly welcome. Hopefully, someone will step forward and help. Remember, don't take NO for an answer. If all the ones I mentioned earlier don't work, you could also go to the States Attorney's Office in Houston. They may be able to light a fire under the right person. Then there is always your local state senator or representative. Politicians aren't the best resource, but sometimes they can get the ball rolling.

mocity, I am sorry for your loss. I really hope you find some closure soon. It's been far too long.

I have a question - I'm not sure if it's been stated somewhere already and I've overlooked it or it's not been mentioned. Did the perp supposedly come on foot or by car? I suppose given that it was a popular make out spot there would have been a few tyre tracks and whatnot, but perhaps there was some clue in that regard? Footprints or tyre tracks leading into and away from the location?

Hi all, I haven't been on this board in a while and certainly appreciate this information. I am reaching out to family now to find out who our current contact is at HPD. It has changed several times.

, The greater Houston Metro area must be the unsolved murder capital of the US.

This one has some interesting elements but nothing that is likely to lead to resolution unless there is a DNA hit or the Perp does something to draw attention to himself. It seems improbable that someone can commit a brutal rape and then a rape/ double murder 2 months later and never get arrested for anything serious enough to get his cheek swabbed. This wouldn't be the first time. Still, a lot of states have serious back logs in their DNA programs and samples have been known to sit for years before finding their way on CODIS.

Stephanie Buehler was abducted a month after the murders in the same general West Houston area but there is no evidence there is any connection. I don't believe any other crimes have been linked. We are all familiar with criminals who stick with one basic "MO" over a series of crimes but it not without precedent for someone to try different methods.

The letter sent to the police in 2001 hard to figure out. I get the impression that this case had pretty well dropped of the radar in Houston so it would be an odd choice for a scammer who wanted to pull a con on Law Enforcement desperate to solve a high profile case. I might be from a nut case with a strange fascination with a long forgotten crime. But, it might be from the real perpetrator who wanted to rekindle interest in his only real accomplishment.

To my knowledge they were on foot but not 100% sure of the answer to that. It rained very hard that evening which could have covered up any kind of tracks.

qmfr:

check this out, not sure if this article has been posted here, marking my spot to bring some of this content forward:

http://www.khou.com/story/news/investigations/2014/07/23/12047944/

A profile of the attacker from the article-

But about five years ago, the Harris County Sheriff s Department entered a DNA profile found at an unsolved burglary/rape that had actually been committed months BEFORE the killings of Cheryl and Andy.

The result: The DNA evidence from the two different crimes

seemed to be from the same person.

Even better? The previous rape victim saw her attacker and survived.

In her first-ever interview, this rape victim revealed the details of her attack to the KHOU 11 News I-Team.

It was probably 2:30am and I walked upstairs and this guy was up in my bedroom, said the victim. He was wearing a blue uniform of some type.

The woman, who had just returned home from her job at Gigi s nightclub, said her attacker was asking for her boyfriend and said he owed him money.

Meanwhile, her rapist put her hands behind her back and wrapped them with duct tape. He placed a bag over her head and put a gun to her throat.

He kept pulling the trigger. He cocked it. He d uncock it and then *advertiser censored* it, she said. He had a black fishnet thing over his head. He was probably six foot two, 200 pounds, olive complexion and black hair.

Eventually, the woman s attacker took $250 from her home and left.

The victim said she s always thought it could be connected to her moving company. She said one of her movers had recently threatened her life.

I think it had to do with this moving company I had an altercation with, she said.

That theory has never been proven by police.

However, there is one interesting fact that may just be an amazing coincidence: The rape victim says that she once worked for one of the murder victim s fathers, the dad of Andy Atkinson.

FYI to the group. We followed up on this and thanks so much to acb83 for stepping up. Unfortunately nothing came from it but thanks for having the bravery to step up until people listened.

Bumping for Cheryl and Andy. 26 years ago today my stepsister and her boyfriend were murdered and the person has never been caught. DNA from Chery's murder was matched to another rape around the same time and that girl saw him. There is a composite sketch yet the case is unsolved.

Post from my step-mother on Facebook today:

What's on my mind today? Cheryl. Cheryl. Cheryl. How I wish I could have been with you. The police wouldn't let me go yo you when they found you. I know I could have breathed life into you or died beside you. I'm so sorry, honey, they held me back and wouldn't let me go to you. I love you with all my heart. You are cherished. Thank you for being you. Loving, fun, such a precious daughter and sister and friend. Thank you Precious Jesus for welcoming my baby into your arms and holding her close to you. Thank you, Lord, for giving me the ability to smile again after losing Cheryl. I so wanted to be able to smile and laugh again and raise our other children in a happy home. God answered my prayer.

attachment.php
Re-posting the composite sketch that was done after the hit on the DNA from rape victim came back. They did the composite of what he looked like at the time and then age progressed it.

Attachments

• composite.jpg
    composite.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 485

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members