TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't access this article:

Change of venue granted for alleged strangler

can someone give a 10% synopsis on this please? And if there is the next court date. TIA! :)
"Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck explained why the trial is being transferred.“The defense filed a motion for a change of venue because of the publicity,” Lieck said.

McDowell’s trial will begin June 3, Lieck said. Although the trial would be in Galveston, Judge Chap B. Cain III of the 253rd District Court will continue to be the judge in the trial.

“He is a narcissist so he thinks he can get away with it,” Lieck said. “He thinks he will get lucky somehow. Hopefully, a jury will see through it.” Lieck added it might be an extra burden on the McDowell family to travel from Chambers County to Galveston. “It is not ideal for them to travel, but they are ready for this to be resolved,”"

Unethical tip: If you right click on the page, go to "view page source" and wade through all the code, you can usually bypass the paywall and find the article's content.

Last edited:
So I'm confused. I presume he's taking it to trial hoping for a lesser offense? So they wouldn't give him a deal? Because he seemed like one that would have taken a deal... I mean confessing and revealing the body is kind of hard to explain away.

So I'm confused. I presume he's taking it to trial hoping for a lesser offense? So they wouldn't give him a deal? Because he seemed like one that would have taken a deal... I mean confessing and revealing the body is kind of hard to explain away.
That is basically it. It Texas there is the "heat of passion" defense and if a jury cannot decide that the prosecution proved premeditation then the jury can effectively turn it into what is known as manslaughter in other states (or acquit, which is extremely unlikely). The penalty, if the jury goes that way is 2 to 20 years as opposed to the 99 years he faces now. If the prosecutor is offering no deal (or a minimum of more than 20 years) then both sides would rather take their chances on the jury. There are also numerous subpoenas from both sides (I count dozens) so I expect the defense is going to go hard after the "heat of passion" defense.

Anything could happen though, and a deal may occur at any time. This is especially the case, I believe, because the prosecutor intends to introduce video testimony from both of the young children - though the defense would have known this for weeks now.

Strange - he is not in the court site for Galveston - but I shall post this anyway.

Monday, June 3rd:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500K.
Confessed & told LE where body is.
Trial starts 6/3/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.

from the court site - looks like they are just doing subpoenas, right?

06/03/2019 Subpoena
Anticipated Server: Keaton's Secretary
Anticipated Method: In Person
Comment: Taken by Keaton's Secretary.

06/03/2019 Subpoena
Comment: Keaton's Secretary

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Issue Subpoena

link: Chambers County - Portal

from the court site - looks like they are just doing subpoenas, right?

06/03/2019 Subpoena
Comment: Taken by Keaton's Secretary.

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Subpoena

06/03/2019 Subpoena

Yes. The only outstanding motion(s) are the ones for the video testimony of their children.

So - going to post this - just in case they are having trial even if it is still filing motions.

*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
6/3/19 Day 1: Motions filed. Subpoenas. No other info yet. Trial continues on 6/4.

So - going to post this - just in case they are having trial even if it is still filing motions.

*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
6/3/19 Day 1: Motions filed. Subpoenas. No other info yet. Trial continues on 6/4.
I am surprised that we aren't see at least some news coverage, if only to mention that the trial started.

The only thing new in the court site is:

• 06/03/2019 Agreed Order

Judicial Officer: Cain, Chap B., III
    Comment:Agreed Discovery Order for TCIC/NCIC Report

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads