TX- Dad drugged at a Montrose bar after drinking his wife’s drink roofied by a ‘creepy’ guy, Houston, July '24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is the entire interaction on video?
I would assume so, but from what I can find, there’s only a short clip of the video online. It’s from the bar’s surveillance cameras, so I assume they were continuously filming. The clip shows a man walking out of the bar (or maybe into another room of the bar?)

why does it matter that he's a husband and a father? weird.
Because there is this idea that we don't see victims as people unless we relate them to others.

It's especially blatant in coverage of violent crimes against women and girls. How often do we see a woman described as 'mother, sister, daughter, wife' and that is held up as a reason for why she was not deserving of what happened?

It should be enough that someone was a living, feeling being. Not that they had a large assortment of family and friends. There are victims who have absolutely no one who loves or cares for them. They are just as much victims as those with dozens of social connections.

MOO

There are rumors online that the drug test was positive for buprenorphine. Buprenorphine does not show up on regular or expanded drug tests, per drugs.com:
"Although buprenorphine is similar to opioids, it is sufficiently distinct in structure to morphine that it essentially shows no reactivity in commonly marketed morphine-specific immunoassays.

Detection of buprenorphine requires entirely separate immunoassays that are specific for this compounds, or another sort of testing, such as liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, which is expensive."

There are rumors online that the drug test was positive for buprenorphine. Buprenorphine does not show up on regular or expanded drug tests, per drugs.com:
"Although buprenorphine is similar to opioids, it is sufficiently distinct in structure to morphine that it essentially shows no reactivity in commonly marketed morphine-specific immunoassays.

Detection of buprenorphine requires entirely separate immunoassays that are specific for this compounds, or another sort of testing, such as liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, which is expensive."
If they got a 12 or 14 panel test from Walgreens, it will show up.

Wow! The comments on the article linked in the OP are downright harsh!

Small town, I'm guessing.
I’m thinking it’s hard to take this news story seriously as presented in this piece, so maybe that’s why the joke-y comments there.

It feels like the reporter was treating what you’d think is a serious issue and story in a flippant way.

For example:
in the video, why does the reporter show a re-creation of when the unknown man sat next to Melissa and said what he said to her—by using himself to play both Melissa and the unknown man? Just weird.

JMO

This is the link from the first post in this thread that I am referring to:

I’m thinking it’s hard to take this news story seriously as presented in this piece, so maybe that’s why the joke-y comments there.

It feels like the reporter was treating what you’d think is a serious issue and story in a flippant way.

For example:
in the video, why does the reporter show a re-creation of when the unknown man sat next to Melissa and said what he said to her—by using himself to play both Melissa and the unknown man? Just weird.

JMO

This is the link from the first post in this thread that I am referring to:

yeah that was bizarre and disrespectful IMO

So he took a home drug test instead of going to a hospital: "The next day he took an over-the-counter drug test, which lit up like a Christmas tree for drugs he’s never taken before."

Lit up like a Christmas tree for drugS he's never taken before? Very odd. So not only was the guy able to slip an drug into the drink of a woman who was with a guy in seconds in front of her, but he slipped multiple drugs in?

Also, re the police treating this as legitimate: "The family filed a report with the Houston Police Department. In the meantime, they’ve been working with the owner of Rudyard’s. He wasn’t able to speak on camera, but he wants to help in every way possible."

So no word on how LE is treating this, just that a report was filed. I assume the "they" above working with the owner Rudyard's is the family because what would LE be working on "in the meantime"?

Story has holes IMO. I don't want to argue with anyone but I think someone needed a cover story for their drug use in the bathroom at the bar.

I can’t say I 100% question their story, but let us remember that it was a “home” home drug test kit. Even office one normally doesn’t test for GHB, Rohypnol or Ketamine. The whole story may have a number of diffferent explanations depending on what the husband tested positive for. There may even be a third version, something in between, but I can’t discuss it until I know what the home drug test has shown.

ETA. I think we could discuss a hypothetical situation. Most grownup men have tried substances but they usually know that a small amount of “something that shows on home drug tests* and a glass of whiskey are OK for them.

But, if at the same time, his wife’s drink indeed had been spiked, then the third unknown ingredient sends him into a tailspin. Maybe the hospital itself is waiting for the result of a blood test so they can’t really tell what has happened.

Or maybe, testing is slightly useless as too many substances don’t behave well if taken with alcohol and act like roofies but one can’t test for all of them.

Anyhow, it is a good learning story either way. The couple looks young, and they do resemble high school sweethearts, btw. Wish them not to get into such situations, ever.

Last edited:

One can absolutely order buprenorphine tests online, either separately or as a u/a panel with other common drugs. As part of the panel they are more expensive but it is a regular urine test. It is sensitive enough. A confirmation sample can be sent to a lab, though, but not necessarily. I would be surprised that buprenorphine can’t be taken with alcohol. It’s recommended not to drink when on it, but show me a bar that serves strong drinks. It is another thing that in Suboxone, a burprenorphine/Naloxone combo, Naloxone decreases the urge to drink alcohol.

I have another question, though, is buprenorphine tasteless and odorless? Google results mostly comment on Suboxone, but say it is a mixture of two bitter tasting substances, so I assume buprenorphine alone is bitter and not a good candidate for a roofie.

This doesn’t negate the possibility that the husband is on Suboxone (and it is good that he takes it regularly as it saves lives) and there was a roofie in the drink and they didn’t work well together.

Last edited:
One can absolutely order buprenorphine tests online, either separately or as a u/a panel with other common drugs. As part of the panel they are more expensive but it is a regular urine test. It is sensitive enough. A confirmation sample can be sent to a lab, though, but not necessarily. I would be surprised that buprenorphine can’t be taken with alcohol. It’s recommended not to drink when on it, but show me a bar that serves strong drinks. It is another thing that in Suboxone, a burprenorphine/Naloxone combo, Naloxone decreases the urge to drink alcohol.

I have another question, though, is buprenorphine tasteless and odorless? Google results mostly comment on Suboxone, but say it is a mixture of two bitter tasting substances, so I assume buprenorphine alone is bitter and not a good candidate for a roofie.

This doesn’t negate the possibility that the husband is on Suboxone (and it is good that he takes it regularly as it saves lives) and there was a roofie in the drink and they didn’t work well together.
Depends on pill or strip. The pill is mildly bitter. The strip tastes like orange.

Respectfully, there are TikTok videos for an innumerable number of things that are untrue. I remain skeptical of this story, and it's not because I don't believe women. Quite the opposite.
It can happen so quickly. Some of the drugs are now clear, and so can be quickly dropped into a drink, in a split second. If she was texting someone, he could have easily dropped it into her drink without her noticing.

My friend is a bar manager and they have caught people, and when they looked at the videos later they never would have seen them do it. But they were only caught because women were passing out before they'd make it out the door---and he'd seen the walk in sober, 20 minutes earlier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back