TX - Dallas Police Say Mom Throws 2 Kids From Overpass, Then Jumps

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Witnesses said the boys struggled to keep from going over the side :( . Also the boys have previously been in foster care and CPS said their contact with the mother has been "extensive". I pray the boys have a swift recovery and can get the help that they need.

Article with more information

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/525771.html

This just makes me scik, I pray the kids make it and they receive help so that they can put this behind them. She is selfish!!

Witnesses said the boys struggled to keep from going over the side :( . Also the boys have previously been in foster care and CPS said their contact with the mother has been "extensive". I pray the boys have a swift recovery and can get the help that they need.

Article with more information

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/525771.html

Surely with her history, the children will now be removed from her custody. My prayers for this family. What a mirace that anyone survived.

And that is exactly what is wrong with the system.

Extensive CPS contact with the mother, time in foster homes...the "window" for a parent to prove that they are safe, competent parents to their children needs to be shortened by a huge amount.

It makes me sick to think of those poor children fighting literally for their lives.

Article from today http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/527444.html

This part from above link really got to me :mad: ...
Sondra Plunk, who was commuting to her job at a landscaping company, said one of the boys fell in front of a van one lane over and about a car length in front of her. She said the boy landed on his side and then immediately popped up onto his hands and knees, staring into the van's headlights.
"I saw his face," Plunk said. "I saw the fear in his face."
The van fishtailed as its driver slammed the brakes and swerved. Plunk was unsure whether the van struck the boy.
"He rolled to all fours," she said. "Knowing he was still alive, knowing he was still conscious and he had the presence of mind to think, 'My God, I have to get out of here.'"

I also heard an interview with the cousin of the mother saying that the mother had been threatening to harm her children and commit suicide. I wish that family members and friends would take things said like this more seriously. I have two children (one with a disability) and have been beyond frustrated at times. I have called friends/family and vented and cried in frustration but I have never suggested to anyone that killing my children or myself was a possibility. I hope that if I do (because I would have to be out of my mind wth mental illness to do so) someone takes it seriously and removes my children from my care while getting me some kind of help. I guess people just think that it will never happen to their family so they ignore it?

From 2010
Khandi Busby Was Legally Insane When She Threw Her Kids off Dallas-Area Bridge, Says Judge

Khandi Busby Was Insane When she Threw Her Kids off Dallas-Area Bridge, Says Judge
Khandi Busby (Dallas County Sheriffs Department)
DALLAS (CBS/AP) Khandi Busby, a Dallas-area woman who threw her sons off a bridge because she said God told her to, was found not guilty by reason of insanity by a judge Thursday.

Investigators say the boys were ages 6 and 8 when they were injured after being thrown from a Dallas-area highway overpass on March 12, 2008; Busby herself then jumped. She later told investigators that God told her that the only way to save her children from "Satan and the military" was to throw them off the bridge.

State District Judge Carter Thompson said he felt Busby's was not a case where a mother was trying to get rid of her children because they were in the way, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"This is a horrific case, but it is also apparent to the court this woman was suffering from mental illness," Thompson told the court.

Busby had been living with her father the week before the incident, and her family said she is bipolar and had stopped taking her medication. Busby's father, John Turner, testified at her trial that the night before the incident he tried to have her committed but the hospital wouldn't admit her, but suggested an alternative hospital, the paper reported.

Turner said he didn't have enough gas to take her to the other hospital and, because it wasn't deemed an emergency, the ambulance wouldn't take her, so he had to go home. He told the judge he stayed up all night trying to calm his daughter, the Morning News reported.

The next morning he borrowed money from a neighbor to get enough gas to take Busby to the hospital. It was when they stopped at the gas station and Turner got out of the car to pay that Busby took off with the boys to the overpass, the paper reported.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/khandi-...w-her-kids-off-dallas-area-bridge-says-judge/

From 2012
A woman who threw her two sons off an overpass onto Interstate 30 in 2008 and was later found not guilty by reason of insanity will be released to live at a Dallas boarding home.
Khandi Busby, 32, has mostly been in state hospital care since 2010, when state District Judge Carter Thompson ruled that she suffered from mental illness and ordered that she be committed. The same judge last week signed an order releasing her on the condition that she receive outpatient mental health services.
Busby has been held at the Dallas County Jail since June and is expected to be freed on Monday, her attorney said. She will be under the care of MetroCare Services.
“She has many, many restrictions, as well as things she has to do as part of her treatment,” defense attorney Vanita Budhrani White said. “And obviously if she doesn’t do one of those many things she has in her treatment plan, the court is going to be notified.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...rpass-to-be-released-to-live-in-boarding-home

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back