TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also find it odd that the murderer targeted her at her house in that neighborhood unless it was intentional ie to be caught on camera as well as other, seemingly benign, acts caught on camera as well. I live in a suburban Texas neighborhood and have had my door/security cameras for over 10 years and the majority of my neighbors have them as well. If you are out and about in the neighborhood you can expect it's all on tape.

Yeah where I am (Midwest), garage sales are very commonly held on Fridays. Sometimes even Thurs/Fri and sometimes Fri/Sat. It also seemed to me like she decided to throw this sale at the last minute so decided to just see what business she could drum up from some signs locally and not bother with advertising via the paper, etc.

Is it possible that, though she didn't notify many people in her life ahead of time, had she lived, she would have been texting friends that day as the sale was ongoing asking them to stop by? We'll never know, I guess.

I was surprised at that aspect. That was because where I live you used to have to obtain a permit from the city. You were restricted to one day - so everyone picked Saturday - and a limited number per year. They've since dropped the permit process, but everyone, out of habit, has theirs on Saturday. (This archaic requirement is from the same cities that required us to purchase a $1 permit for a bicycle and if you got stopped without one it was a $25 fine.)
Texas is surprising in many aspects. JMO
Yard sales start on Friday, as well as estate sales. They line up EARLY and will start going through items even if you have it covered up and it’s still dark outside.
Maybe it’s because of the demographics and the shift work at all the local plants?

ADMIN WARNING:
On page 2 of this very thread, this reminder was posted:
MOD NOTE:

Websleuths welcomes all newcomers to this discussion. Please remember to abide by the Terms of Service we all agreed to when we joined. Family members of crime victims are also considered victims, and they MAY NOT be accused, speculated about being involved in the crime, or researched/sleuthed here on these threads UNLESS LE (law enforcement) has named them a suspect or POI.
Members who do so may have posts removed and find their posting privileges limited. Websleuths has intentionally set higher standards than most other crime discussion boards on the internet.
Those who have chosen to ignore this simple direction from a Websleuths‘ staff member have had their posts removed and posting privileges suspended. Thousands of members have no trouble following the Terms of Service. It is insulting to them to post in defiance of the rules we all agreed to when we joined. If you are having a hard time understanding the TOS, we are are happy to help. But if you can’t abide by them, perhaps Websleuths is not a fit for you.

I don't know if I can add anything new. I agree that this was a hit, though not necessarily professional, and that the killer was not from the area because of his driving around the neighborhood prior to and immediately after the crime.

But I wanted to comment on the video itself.

I recently saw a version of it on John Lordan's channel, and does it look to anyone else like, right before he shoots her, the killer extends his left hand to her, and she extends her right hand to him, as if he's forcing her to give him something—money? a valuable from the garage sale?

The way she complies with his "demand" suggests to me that she didn't know the person at all. If it was someone she recognized, I think there would've been more hesitation—like a split second of "are you serious?"

I still think this was a planned hit, but those actions look to me like what you'd expect to see in a mugging at gunpoint.

I don't know if I can add anything new. I agree that this was a hit, though not necessarily professional, and that the killer was not from the area because of his driving around the neighborhood prior to and immediately after the crime.

I recently saw a version of it on John Lordan's channel, and does it look to anyone else like, right before he shoots her, the killer extends his left hand to her, and she extends her right hand to him, as if he's forcing her to give him something—money? a valuable from the garage sale?

The way she complies with his "demand" suggests to me that she didn't know the person at all. If it was someone she recognized, I think there would've been more hesitation—like a split second of "are you serious?"

I still think this was a planned hit, but those actions look to me like what you'd expect to see in a mugging at gunpoint.
To me it looks more like he is showing/handing something to her. But yeah there is definitely something going on there.

Mugging seems less likely, JMO, because the killer didn't take anything. He didn't take money or any items from the garage sale. It seemed very personal.

It has been awhile since I have read all the details of this case.

Is the murderer for sure a "he"? Or is that unknown?

Do LE have any leads or have they ever arrested anyone (even if they later let the person go)?

Hard to believe it has been over 3 1/2 years at this point, especially with pretty clear footage of the truck and even the grainy footage of the perp and EB in the driveway. :(

Yeah, a hit seems the most likely. And it does look like a mugging. Probably because this was really sloppily done. The reason this killer hasn't been caught probably has more to do with luck than skill.

It has been awhile since I have read all the details of this case.

Is the murderer for sure a "he"? Or is that unknown?

Do LE have any leads or have they ever arrested anyone (even if they later let the person go)?

Hard to believe it has been over 3 1/2 years at this point, especially with pretty clear footage of the truck and even the grainy footage of the perp and EB in the driveway. :(

Nothing, nada, zippo!

This happened before the pandemic when the world was grounded in some semblance of basic reality. It's as if the killer and their vehicle drove right off that street into a bizarro world, where there are no cameras, truth is whatever Google decides it's going to be today, and no one thinks it's strange if you carry a wadded up wig in your bathrobe pocket.

MOO

Interesting video. One of the very puzzling things was always why the killer turned around and drove by again after the shooting. The video made me think that perhaps the killer was listening to police dispatch and realized they would drive by the arriving police if they continued. Those arriving cars would have dashcams that would capture the plates or possibly other details. The killer turned around to avoid the police (MOO). This suggests a good knowledge of police procedures and tactics and brings up the possibility that the killer is a first responder or police officer??? (Pure speculation on my part).

From the Media link:
CNN Headline News: Real Life Nightmare (One Hour episode)
Rosemary and I interviewed with Paul Holes and Blue Browning on May 31, 2022. They also interviewed quite a few others close to her and the case. The show will take up to 1 year to make it to air. We will post updates here.

Investigation Discovery: On the Case with Paula Zahn
Rosemary and I interviewed with Paula Zahn and her team on June 7, 2022. They interviewed quite a few people close to her and the case.

NEWS: Episode Air date October 30, 2022
We just heard from the Executive Producer Dana that the episode is tentatively scheduled to air on October 30, 2022 on Investigation Discovery. A day later, it also becomes available on Amazon Prime for streaming on "On The Case With Paula Zahn"/ Amazon Prime.
A few days before the airing they do release a short trailer of the episode on Paula' Zahn's Facebook page. Please look out for that too.

The Paula Zahn episode on Elizabeth's murder will be shown on Oct. 30. Glad they also did interviews with Paul Holes. It will be good to hear some other expert opinions about her murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it was still sort of dark…the mask might not have been noticable until the Shooter got closer. Then, I agree…i would have bern frightened. There’s a moment where Liz steps back. Is that when he removes the mask or she first realizes he is wearing one?

<modsnip>

But…These killers are planners. I think the note is a red herring…meant to confuse…just as the costume, mask, wig confuses.

One other thought after watching that video…the killer or killers really, truly hated this poor woman. She was either some sort of obstacle or had done something deemed unforgivable… inciting such a long, long simmering rage. Rage during the initial planning, rage while purchasing masks, rage while assembling a costume, rage while writing that note, rage on that 2am scouting drive, rage as he insults her as he kills her. Wow! And yet her family knows of no one who might have hated her to such a degree!

JUST MY OPINIONS AS ALWAYS.

Yeah this is a case that truly has me flummoxed. Sadly, the way a lot of cases seem to eventually get solved is DNA. But I can't see any way the killer left DNA at the scene. We have the murder on video and he never touches her or really gets *all* that near her. It was also done outside in the elements.

I'm sure her social media and phone has been intensely scrutinized by LE already. My only other thought was if she was in any online forums or groups and made someone angry by disagreeing with them or reporting them or something. There's ways to find out someone's identity, address, etc. Or she could have even been forthcoming with her identity. It could have been a group or forum not even her husband knew she was posting in. I'm not saying she would have been hiding something. But for example, I'm in several Facebook groups related to my career and hobbies and I think I may have mentioned them off-hand before to my spouse, but he has absolutely no idea which specific groups I post in.

I hope that if LE find she DID post even occasionally in any online forums, they thoroughly look at other people who posted around the same time as her. It's entirely possible the "wronged" party never actually said anything directly to Liz but got mad enough that they just stewed silently and then decided to plan this. If the words really were "Got you (expletive") that sounds almost to me like "Ha I found you!" or "Got back at you" sort of mentality. ALL IMO.

Since it was still sort of dark…the mask might not have been noticable until the Shooter got closer. Then, I agree…i would have bern frightened. There’s a moment where Liz steps back. Is that when he removes the mask or she first realizes he is wearing one?
<modsnip>

But…These killers are planners. I think the note is a red herring…meant to confuse…just as the costume, mask, wig confuses.

One other thought after watching that video…the killer or killers really, truly hated this poor woman. She was either some sort of obstacle or had done something deemed unforgivable… inciting such a long, long simmering rage. Rage during the initial planning, rage while purchasing masks, rage while assembling a costume, rage while writing that note, rage on that 2am scouting drive, rage as he insults her as he kills her. Wow! And yet her family knows of no one who might have hated her to such a degree!

JUST MY OPINIONS AS ALWAYS.
Another thought…someone she worked with who either felt wronged by her or had an ultra misogynistic attitude…two males at work who felt this way about her…? Just reaching to figure out who could have this type of rage and why.

Well I'll just go ahead and say it, I think the killer might be a gay guy. That's based on a lot of strained inferences, I'll admit but...

I know there may be some who still think it's a woman, but I think most people have more so settled on it being a guy. And the 'get-up' he's wearing is debatable to a degree as well, but I think most would also say that it's a pretty feminine disguise. I'm 100% sure that a straight guy would dress up like a woman to avoid being caught for something/going to jail, but I feel it would be perhaps more comfortable and a more natural idea for someone who is gay. And there's just something about the audio and the way the killer says '(female dog)' that strikes me as well. Granted the audio is poop and it's not even certain that's what's being said, but that's how it feels to me. I guess there's also an angle where this could make sense with the idea of an accomplice.

What y'all think?

All my opinion, obviously, and no offense meant. I am teh gay myself if that helps. :p

I'm not entirely convinced by this. Aren't there remote starters for cars that could have made that sound if the killer activated it as he's running?
I'm not sure about the remote starter. But other things that IMO point to an accomplice are that in the mentioned video, in the CCTV footage of the car in the neighborhood, when zoomed in and enhanced, it definitely looks like a person in the passenger seat in many of the still images. Another thing that points to a second person IMO is that there are two totally different voices (besides Liz's) heard in the audio. One that says (what he is theorizing is) "...garage sale?" that sounds a lot higher and then a second, lower voice that says all the rest.

Well I'll just go ahead and say it, I think the killer might be a gay guy. That's based on a lot of strained inferences, I'll admit but...

I know there may be some who still think it's a woman, but I think most people have more so settled on it being a guy. And the 'get-up' he's wearing is debatable to a degree as well, but I think most would also say that it's a pretty feminine disguise. I'm 100% sure that a straight guy would dress up like a woman to avoid being caught for something/going to jail, but I feel it would be perhaps more comfortable and a more natural idea for someone who is gay. And there's just something about the audio and the way the killer says '(female dog)' that strikes me as well. Granted the audio is poop and it's not even certain that's what's being said, but that's how it feels to me. I guess there's also an angle where this could make sense with the idea of an accomplice.

What y'all think?

All my opinion, obviously, and no offense meant. I am teh gay myself if that helps. :p
Could be. But I would think every combination of a relationship motive has been throughly investigated by now. But it could just be a friend or relation of the person in the car.

i do believe I see that second person in the stills in the video. My guess is that person is the ‘instigator.’ Im thinking, of course, of some recent cases where the murder has been allegedly committed by or the murderers allegedly hired by OTHERS, hoping to benefit someone close to them. Of course, if it IS “The Instigator‘ in the car, this person was less concerned with establishing an alibi than achieving the satisfaction of witnessing the attack.

As others have said, this was not random…too much planning, rehearsing the drive, buying masks, writing notes, etc. I do believe the killers chose this day as soon as they knew about the garage sale. I think they had a plan-in-waiting…like the military might do…waiting for the optimal moment to launch. They knew the schedules, knew when Sergio would leave, and knew she would be alone and vulnerable. They heard about the garage sale the night before, that’s why they rehearsed the drive-by at 2AM. They knew where the doorbell camera was. They inew where to park and where to stand in the driveway. But they were very organized and careful.

Anyway, those are my rambling unproven theories and opinions at the moment.

What y'all think?

I can’t say that there’s anything definitive in the profile that suggests anything in terms of sexual orientation really. That’s not to say he couldn’t be (if the killer is indeed a he), just that wearing a feminine outfit to disguise their identify isn’t representative of anything - on the surface - other than trying to evade being seen for who they really are on camera.

Who had they told…the night before…about the garage sale? Did Liz tell her co-workers because she was taking the day off? If she was working a second job at the Party supplies place…did she call off there too? Or did shhe work there the night before and mention it? Did she post it online…maybe in a Neighbor Website? Or mention it in a chat room for the Cosplay group?

IIRC they did not put the signs up until morning. If this was a plan-in-waiting, then the killers needed to borrow or rent that car quickly, unless they owned it. Probably the drive-through was to figure the altetnative or best ways out of that maze of a neighborhood. These are very detailed and organized killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member