TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I went to the annual Seagull Century on VA/MD's Eastern Shore. Very rural area. On the 130+ mile trip back I decided to look at traffic, fast food places, gas stations, hotels and the like along the way to see what trucks were there. A LOT of Toyota Tundra's, Chevy Silverados, Ford F-150's and a few Dodge Rams. No Nissan's. Of any color. Of course, this is rural VA and not TX. I just don't see this Nissan as a very common or popular truck in our area at least. If this happened here, I wouldn't have foreseen an extensive search.
I live in the neighborhood next to where Liz was murdered, and every single day on the road I keep an eye out for black Nissan Frontiers. I’ve seen a couple black ones over the years, but not one that matches the exact description of the truck with the Pro-4x sticker. And it’s been almost 4 years since the murder? My opinion only, but I don’t think the killer is from the area. And I do think it is tied to the 501st Legion.

I live in the neighborhood next to where Liz was murdered, and every single day on the road I keep an eye out for black Nissan Frontiers. I’ve seen a couple black ones over the years, but not one that matches the exact description of the truck with the Pro-4x sticker. And it’s been almost 4 years since the murder? My opinion only, but I don’t think the killer is from the area. And I do think it is tied to the 501st Legion.
Agree- I wouldn't make sense to need to drive by at 12am or 2am, whichever it was, the prior night if you lived in the area. If you lived in the area you could casually drive by in the day. The late night drive by means one of these things- this person would be easily recognizable to Liz or Sergio if they were outside and so they drove by in the middle of the night to verify where she lived and how to get around. I am discounting this because nobody seems to know anyone who owns a truck like this so this person wasn't easily recognizable. Second is they came from some distance away and didn't want to be late, so they arrived a few hours early to look around. They know Liz, but nobody really knows them well enough to know what sort of truck they drive.

I don't live there but I tend to agree with you. This doesn't appear to be that common a vehicle. If this killer is from Dallas-FW, Austin or even Lake Charles LA, just for a few examples, who is likely to make the connection? I had originally thought that the 501st was the Houston Star Wars group, but after the last Arrin Stoner video I looked it up. It's not only all over TX, but the USA and international.

If both are true AND IF the killer was the owner/family member of the truck, I would have hoped LE jumped on that very soon. A decent IT operation could download a portion of the TX motor vehicles for just Nissan Frontiers and cull it down for black and years 2013-19. IF they could get a membership listing of the TX, and maybe LA, either by the 501st providing or through search warrant, it isn't that difficult for a savvy IT person to merge them in something like MS Access and do a search.

I recall your previous post about the newspaper and wasn't able to locate a newspaper bundle laying up front near sidewalk. I will need to take another look. This is a really important factor you bring up. It's amazing the killer missed not only LE, but newspaper delivery person, school buses, etc. Can't believe Goddard school cameras not working. Taxpayers (parents) should complain about that.
The reason I was interested in the newspaper delivery time is that many times dog want to go outside in the morning as soon as their owner wakes up, for bathroom reasons.

The tv news footage(from a youtube creator piece about the case) was obviously shot by a news crew probably at least an hour or two after the murder while the newspaper was still outside on the ground. The dogs were walking around the newspaper. When the dogs are let out, this neighbor uses a leash and walks outside with them. If the newspaper had been there earlier before this neighbor woke up that morning, I would have expected the neighbor to pick the newspaper up and bring it inside the house when she took the dogs outside to use the lawn(if she got up earlier).

Maybe it is not her paper plastic bundle in the lawn(since I do not know for sure it is a newspaper)?

NEWS: Episode Air date October 30, 2022
We just heard from the Executive Producer Dana that the episode is tentatively scheduled to air on October 30, 2022 on Investigation Discovery. A day later, it also becomes available on Amazon Prime for streaming on "On The Case With Paula Zahn"/ Amazon Prime.
A few days before the airing they do release a short trailer of the episode on Paula' Zahn's Facebook page. Please look out for that too.

Monday, January 27, 2020

On Sunday, Harris County homicide detective Michael Richie hinted at "something coming down the pike" in the case. He said there is now a warrant in the case, stating, "I feel that the results of that warrant will be critical in the investigation and most likely will expose a suspect and who's responsible for this."

IMO, whatever became of the warrant in the case... it's been over two years ago? Nothing? Detective Richie is no longer lead on the case but may still work the case. Detective Wallace Wyatt is lead on the case now.

It's been over three years since the execution of Liz. It is of utmost importance that the killer(s) are caught.

IMO, can't believe the truck has not been located. It's a rare truck in that part of town and in surrounding areas.
My thoughts are with Liz's family.

UPDATE October 21, 2022

On Sunday October 30th, at 9PM CST the On the Case With Paula Zahn show about Liz will air. The show is on Investigation Discovery Channel.

Special Note: The episode description may be wrong on your channel guide - but here is the correct information:
S25 E8 · A Fairy Tale Ruined New 60 min · Oct 30, 2022
Please share this and try to watch or DVR the episode. The episode will be available to watch on Prime Video the day after it airs. Paula Zahn usually runs a promo spot on her Facebook a few days before the airing. On the Case with Paula Zahn
We appreciate everyone who made themselves available to be interviewed and we expect this to be a great detailed look into her case.

Thank you all
Always***
The Nuelle Family
#catchacoward.

A friend and I were having a discussion recently pertinent to this situation. My friend has a condo and recently there has been a great deal of anger over certain matters. My friend agreed with one faction but was by no means was as angry or upset as some of the others, She just agreed with their point of view.

However, since she is comfortable speaking in a public forum, and thought she could rationally articulate the situation, she was the first to stand up and address this contentious issue at the annual meeting. Surprisingly,no one else joined her! Not even the certain few who were the most furious in private.

She never intended to be their solitary spokesman and was very surprised to be put in that position.

This named person might have been the one to bring some issues to Liz and Sergio, but there could have been others, or ONE other, seething in silence.

A friend and I were having a discussion recently pertinent to this situation. My friend has a condo and recently there has been a great deal of anger over certain matters. My friend agreed with one faction but was by no means was as angry or upset as some of the others, She just agreed with their point of view.

However, since she is comfortable speaking in a public forum, and thought she could rationally articulate the situation, she was the first to stand up and address this contentious issue at the annual meeting. Surprisingly,no one else joined her! Not even the certain few who were the most furious in private.

She never intended to be their solitary spokesman and was very surprised to be put in that position.

This named person might have been the one to bring some issues to Liz and Sergio, but there could have been others, or ONE other, seething in silence.

I can turn that around on you! Liz is that 'one'. She was standing up to the obnoxious person that other people didn't want to deal with. Just a thought.

I can turn that around on you! Liz is that 'one'. She was standing up to the obnoxious person that other people didn't want to deal with. Just a thought.
Of course, that is an equally possible opportunity.

All we know is that there was some tension and seemingly resentment within the group. LE has known this from Day One. Still, no justice to date.

I would hope and assume that LE has investigated at this person completely…especially since she was the first person named by the grieving husband on the very day of the murder, at the scene of the crime! That’s the main reason my suspicions went to others in her group,that also felt slighted and/or that Liz played favorites.

There is speculation that there are two people in the car. If true, i can see a motive like this bringing two angry people together, maybe ‘fantasy planning’.at first…and then becoming a very real, viable plan.

Now that we know that Sergio provided information about a contentious dispute almost immediately, wouldn’t that whole group of people have been an investigative focus from the beginning?

Surely they questioned whatever individuals were deemed to be the most upset. Who were these slighted individuals…in addition to the person named? Surely they tried to match the truck to anyone in that group.

Yet they must have come up cold.

Somehow, it is casting doubt for me on the speculation about a note, or the “Got you!” comment. Because, if true, why not release that information and get the idea of a personal revenge motive public…so key people start talking about feelings in that group at that key time…or even among others…that might have escalated into murder?

Why allow, for years now, the idea that this could have been a random crime…and/or that there was no contention in the lives of Sergio and Liz at the time of the murder?

For Sergio to bring up a name and a situation almost immediately says to me…that this controversy was NOT a minor issue in their lives at the time. My opinion only of course. But again, I’m sure it was looked at every which way and yet, no movement toward solution.

I would really like to see this solved. For some reason I just keep going over the clues and watching the video. I can't stop thinking that this murder and praying for justice for Liz.
Hoping that the killer and/or accomplice (if there was one) starts to feel guilty and comes forward. Though, I'm not working the case, as I am not LE, seems like a solvable crime to me. IMO

When the ‘similar’ truck was stopped that morning, wouldn’t the names of the occupants have been taken?

And since a possible ”controversy” that could be a motive was given immediately by the victim’s husband, i would assume those names of the truck individuals would have been checked for connection to this organization or others who allegedly had issues with Liz.

This tip from Sergio was never disclosed so it must have been discarded rather quickly.

How can such a sloppy crime still be unsolved?

Last edited:
My understanding about the 501st Legion is there are spin-off (not sure that is correct verbiage/term) units/teams. Example: One of the groups Liz belonged to was Star Garrison/South Texas Squadron. There is a lot of info out there about the 501st Legion, etc. Additionally, this legion (to my understanding), correct me if I am wrong, never acknowledged what happened to Liz. IMO.

• Liz and Sergio were both members of the 501st Legion - Star Garrison - South Texas Squadron.
  • At the time of her death Liz was on the command staff as an Event Coordinator for The South Texas Squad.

If both are true AND IF the killer was the owner/family member of the truck, I would have hoped LE jumped on that very soon. A decent IT operation could download a portion of the TX motor vehicles for just Nissan Frontiers and cull it down for black and years 2013-19. IF they could get a membership listing of the TX, and maybe LA, either by the 501st providing or through search warrant, it isn't that difficult for a savvy IT person to merge them in something like MS Access and do a search.
Wow, I think that is a fantastic idea.

Advanced services offered by data companies (and in my opinion, creepy) such as Lexus Nexus contain sophisticated algorithms for identifying probable friends and family via social media contacts.

So, as you stated, merge names derived from 501 membership (I would include several related Star Wars cosplay groups as well- maybe she angered an unhinged convention goer?) with the friends and family there of derived from Lexus Nexus with DMV records.

Seconds later, as you state.... the big brain computer delivers some interesting connections- at least ideally.

But wait, there could be more. Pay a modest fee for the IT programmers at Lexus Nexus to tweak their algorithims to find:

- People in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma -and-
- who are not on the list of known Star Wars cosplay group members,
- but.... show an interest in Star Wars cosplay from social media posts and contacts. These people would be independent cos players who are not in a formal group, but may well show up at conventions, meet ups etc.

Then feed in their names as well into the "friends and family" and "owns a black Nissan" connected data bases. Hopefully, interesting connections appear as well.

Last edited:
Wow, I think that is a fantastic idea.

Advanced services offered by data companies (and in my opinion, creepy) such as Lexus Nexus contain sophisticated algorithms for identifying probable friends and family via social media contacts.

So, as you stated, merge names derived from 501 membership (I would include several related Star Wars cosplay groups as well- maybe she angered an unhinged convention goer?) with the friends and family there of derived from Lexus Nexus with DMV records.

Seconds later, as you state.... the big brain computer delivers some interesting connections- at least ideally.

But wait, there could be more. Pay a modest fee for the IT programmers at Lexus Nexus to tweak their algorithims to find:

- People in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma -and-
- who are not on the list of known Star Wars cosplay group members,
- but.... show an interest in Star Wars cosplay from social media posts and contacts. These people would be independent cos players who are not in a formal group, but may well show up at conventions, meet ups etc.

Then feed in their names as well into the "friends and family" and "owns a black Nissan" connected data bases. Hopefully, interesting connections appear as well.
Excellent idea. I would say go beyond Texas, make sure to include Florida too. Wondering if cops ever got around to doing this…guessing no? Seems entirely possible a lay person could start this process to get this info, or a PI at the minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi