TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming she drove to the nearest Starbucks, it's only 3 minutes away - per Google, that location is not very busy at 6am on a Friday, and average stay is 10 minutes - which would include busier times and presumably some number of people staying to drink their coffee rather than getting it to go... So I think we can assume Liz could casually have been there and back in 15 minutes
In Arrin’s bonus footage Liz gets in her car but first makes a call before pulling away … did she order her coffee prior to going to Starbucks?

In addition, curious if truck was already in neighborhood as Liz was getting coffee and truck driver was waiting until it was time to put plan in action. Did Liz notice anyone following her that morning and said something to S about it?

• Early Morning [06:08:15 AM] Liz drives to the local Starbucks to get a coffee.
  • Early Morning [06:16:05 AM] Liz arrives home to begin setting up for Garage Sale (VIDEO). Timeline

In Arrin’s bonus footage Liz gets in her car but first makes a call before pulling away … did she order her coffee prior to going to Starbucks?

In addition, curious if truck was already in neighborhood as Liz was getting coffee and truck driver was waiting until it was time to put plan in action. Did Liz notice anyone following her that morning and said something to S about it?

• Early Morning [06:08:15 AM] Liz drives to the local Starbucks to get a coffee.
  • Early Morning [06:16:05 AM] Liz arrives home to begin setting up for Garage Sale (VIDEO). Timeline
I saw somewhere very recently that her Starbucks order was placed at 06:07am, according to the receipt on her cup. So I’m guessing she got into her car, placed the order, and drove away.

This may be off or just an idea but I wonder if the fact that the person who did this or orchestrated it waited until S left because they care about him and didn’t want him to witness the murder of his beloved wife or getting harmed? S wouldn’t have to play any role in what happened but maybe someone who cares about him, even as a friend or buddy, did this but isn’t high on the suspect list or is even someone his social circle or community would consider violent or dangerous.
It’s possible. Moo.

Wow, you are going to solve this!

Great thoughts. Here is a question. Apparently, there was a shot that missed Liz. Does anyone remember which shot this was thought to be? First? Last? Just wondering if that fits with this scenario.
There was no missed shot… it was incorrect information. Liz’s parents confirmed this information in linked video.

Liz's parents confirmed by detectives (and what they experience at hospital) that Liz was shot four (4) times despite what emergency personnel claimed in a report or what is being stated via media. Liz's parents attribute emergency personnel's error due to it being a hectic time while attempting to save Liz's life.

In addition, Liz was shot four times, even though there is a sort of puff of white cloud or smoke from a ricochet bullet that hits the top of the house.

I was just watching an episode of "see no Evil" one of my very favorite shows on ID. All of the crimes on this show are caught on video and that is how they catch the clueless perp. In this particular episode a young woman was abducted from the gas station she worked at on the Graveyard shift. The abduction was caught on camera, but so grainy, it was basically useless. then the detectives brought in an expert, I think from the FBI who was able to get more detail from the camera and eventually this perp was caught, convicted and sentenced to life without parole for murder of this poor young woman, So if this expert could get more detail from the video, why can't that occur in the Barraza case? There is so much great technology these days, I just can't believe they cannot get more information from a crime that is observed on video!

I was just watching an episode of "see no Evil" one of my very favorite shows on ID. All of the crimes on this show are caught on video and that is how they catch the clueless perp. In this particular episode a young woman was abducted from the gas station she worked at on the Graveyard shift. The abduction was caught on camera, but so grainy, it was basically useless. then the detectives brought in an expert, I think from the FBI who was able to get more detail from the camera and eventually this perp was caught, convicted and sentenced to life without parole for murder of this poor young woman, So if this expert could get more detail from the video, why can't that occur in the Barraza case? There is so much great technology these days, I just can't believe they cannot get more information from a crime that is observed on video!
are you referring to Jessica Heeringa? If so, they had a lot more than Jeffrey wills’ van as a way to catch him.

There was no missed shot… it was incorrect information. Liz’s parents confirmed this information in linked video.

Liz's parents confirmed by detectives (and what they experience at hospital) that Liz was shot four (4) times despite what emergency personnel claimed in a report or what is being stated via media. Liz's parents attribute emergency personnel's error due to it being a hectic time while attempting to save Liz's life.

In addition, Liz was shot four times, even though there is a sort of puff of white cloud or smoke from a ricochet bullet that hits the top of the house.

How that ricochet happened at that angle is interesting. Of course, ricochets are unpredictable. Shots at close range from medium caliber bullets have ricocheted off auto windshields. I suppose if the shot was at the base of the neck it could have glanced off the collarbone.

Because it is Houston and they most-likely have 100's of murders to work on-with limited funding and personnel, if my hunch is correct.

Because it is Houston and they most-likely have 100's of murders to work on-with limited funding and personnel, if my hunch is correct.

Sadly I think this is contributing... If the resources from some of the more public cases were poured into Liz's case I have to think it'd be solved... but then there are other cases that'd be getting less resources as a result.

Fwiw I guess it's not common for FBI to be involved in intra-state homicide cases, but they have resources available for local law enforcement like bullet analysis and firearm identification from images... (see Handbook of Forensic Services | Federal Bureau of Investigation ) that seems like it could be beneficial to help narrow down the potential suspects. Of course, all of these things may have already been done and I don't imagine I'd know one way or another.

I'm trying not to get tunnel vision here, but I've turned up more corroborating circumstances on one party under discussion. The "financial" aspect of the confrontation with Liz was waved away as a clerical error in the PZ special - but I see now that on 5/20/22, Harris County filed a tax suit against this person.

IMHO financial trouble doesn't turn into a tax lawsuit quickly... I'd say suspicion that financial troubles date back to 2019 or earlier don't seem unreasonable.

All MOO.

This sounds like a show that I would like to watch. However, I stopped watching TV years ago. Everything I watch is via YouTube. Will check to see if this show is on YT. Anyway, this is exactly what I think can resolve Liz's murder because there is a lot to be revealed in that horrific grainy video(s). There are more than one video, imo. At least of the truck. This is reason why I think LE have suspects in mind because our technology nowadays is bar none ... imo, but then what do I know...

How that ricochet happened at that angle is interesting. Of course, ricochets are unpredictable. Shots at close range from medium caliber bullets have ricocheted off auto windshields. I suppose if the shot was at the base of the neck it could have glanced off the collarbone.
I'm really curious about it. I am no firearm type person at all but I'd be interested to know more. I'd like to add my two cents: the more I review the video the more I realize this was an inexperienced gun user... that possibly never fired a firearm in their life. Maybe didn't even know what to expect when the gun went off... however, pure determination gave them the success of killing Liz, unfortunately. Obviously, this is moo.

I'm trying not to get tunnel vision here, but I've turned up more corroborating circumstances on one party under discussion. The "financial" aspect of the confrontation with Liz was waved away as a clerical error in the PZ special - but I see now that on 5/20/22, Harris County filed a tax suit against this person.

IMHO financial trouble doesn't turn into a tax lawsuit quickly... I'd say suspicion that financial troubles date back to 2019 or earlier don't seem unreasonable.

All MOO.
DBM.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about it. I am no firearm type person at all but I'd be interested to know more. I'd like to add my two cents: the more I review the video the more I realize this was an inexperienced gun user... that possibly never fired a firearm in their life. Maybe didn't even know what to expect when the gun went off... however, pure determination gave them the success of killing Liz, unfortunately. Obviously, this is moo.

Some tidbits I've picked up in researching the past few days; this weapon would be pretty unusual. The bullet that LE claims to have identified isn't normally used in a revolver. It's made for semi-automatics. I see one manufacturer that makes a revolver for this caliber.. I could certainly be missing some... (Update: I was, charter arms and Taurus both make a model) and other guns can be "made to work", but with those unless the shooter has done some homework, they're at risk of unexpended rounds as the bullets sit too deep in the chamber for the hammer to consistently strike with enough force to fire. They can get around this with know-how, and they can also get lucky without know-how, but it's yet another interesting strand to pull on...

Last edited:
Just rewatched the shooting a couple dozen times. Something that I wouldn't have known to look for previously:

After shot #3, while Liz is falling, it looks like the shooter is about to fire a fourth shot - and seems to make the motion like they are firing a fourth shot, but nothing happens. I always assumed they just didn't pull the trigger here because Liz was obviously falling.. but, after watching YT videos of gun enthusiasts shooting .380 rounds from a 9mm revolver, (which is not designed to fire .380 rounds but are much more common revolvers and the .380s "fit"), now I'm wondering if the shooter did pull the trigger a fourth time here but it was a misfire. That'd be hugely unlikely with the right ammo in the right gun, but on YT this is what happens a *lot* with .380 rounds in a gun not designed to shoot .380 rounds.

I don't think this is the most likely scenario.. there probably was no misfire and the killer was probably using a gun intended to fire .380 rounds.. but while entertaining the notion that this was an amateur, and assuming LE is correct about the caliber of the bullet, they may simply have not even known it was the wrong ammo.

Last edited:
This case seems solvable.
So frustrating !
I think it was someone connected to a person known to the family.
Sad that it's taking so long for justice !
Imo.
it does seem solvable, especially with the murder being observed on video and the vehicle involved- technology can do wonderful things to solve crimes- I Hope they are using it to its fullest advantage

are you referring to Jessica Heeringa? If so, they had a lot more than Jeffrey wills’ van as a way to catch him.
No- her name was Katy Poirier(sp)-- they were sort of at a standstill on this crime and then an expert ( I cannot recall it this expert was from the FBI) but he was sharp and he was able to get a clearer picture of the perp on camera- though the perp was a lot closer than the perp in the Barraza case. He was able to see for example, the perp wore a yankee's tee shirt with the number 23 on the back: the detectives had not been able to see that until this expert was able to do whatever he did to bring that into clarity. The expertise of this person was very very impressive and got me thinking about the Barraza case and what technology maybe can do to enhance the shooter in this case as well as the vehicle.

Last edited:
First on the .380 round LE references; evidently this is a pretty rare bullet for a revolver. It would be surprising if a casual gun purchaser / enraged driver / co-worker / etc.. would stumble on this combination of .380 and revolver as their weapon of choice.

There are revolvers specifically manufactured for .380 caliber ammo. They are concealed carry weapons.

They are very tiny. Sometimes called pocket pistols and are about the size of a dollar bill.

It is for up close and personal shooting....not a long-range gun that will shoot at distances.

A Taurus is popular and cheap. It is a gun you choose to buy for those reasons.^^^^^^^

If any suspect owned one or had access to one it would be a very compelling piece of circumstantial evidence. Due to their size, and caliber they are very memorable. Hopefully, a tip would be called in.

Of course, it could just as likely have been stolen from a vehicle. Happens daily in Houston.

After shot #3, while Liz is falling, it looks like the shooter is about to fire a fourth shot - and seems to make the motion like they are firing a fourth shot, but nothing happens. I always assumed they just didn't pull the trigger here because Liz was obviously falling.. but, after watching YT videos of gun enthusiasts shooting .380 rounds from a 9mm revolver, (which is not designed to fire .380 rounds but are much more common revolvers and the .380s "fit"), now I'm wondering if the shooter did pull the trigger a fourth time here but it was a misfire. That'd be hugely unlikely with the right ammo in the right gun, but on YT this is what happens a *lot* with .380 rounds in a gun not designed to shoot .380 rounds.
Good theory. I can't see the video well.

It may also be likely they were waiting for her to fall. In the latest interview with her Parents. Her father says the final shot was to her mouth (when speaking he points directly to his mouth). A shot to the mouth is a statement within itself. Murdered in cold blood and silenced forever.

(@ 35:03 ) KHOU Parent Interview
"Three shots and then she falls to the driveway, and then the fourth shot administered, the person leans over and administered point blank right here (points to his mouth). It does look like a hit. It's I, I, I think we're all convinced that it's so professional." - Bob Nuelle

Most revolvers hold 5 shots. I was also curious as to why they didn't use all the bullets.

Last edited:
If you haven't watched the Paula Zahn special yet, it's worth the investment - there's a confrontation that occurred with Liz that hasnt been the topic a lot of discussion so far that could plausibly be related. Of course there's a lot of other plausible theories too - but this one evaded my radar these four years until now.
The "confrontation" with Sergio's father?

In the episode, Detective Ritchie says it did come up that Liz POSSIBLY confronted Oscar.

Does Sergio know if a confrontation actually took place?

Was the confrontation about the last paycheck that bounced? or his dad's affairs?

Were there other bounced checks or just the last one?

Quite curious about that and the timing.

When does he start suspecting and stop talking to his father? because His father is at the very first press conference and filmed in the video at the one-year vigil held at Burroughs Park.

In the latest interview with Sergio. He is asked if he suspects anyone. He implicity states NO.

(@4:52) KHOU: Elizabeth Barraza's husband speaks to Grace White about wife's 2019 death

Can you think of anyone that would want Liz dead?

Honestly, no. It doesn't make sense why anybody would want to hurt her. It just.

It's it. There's no reason why she's she's an Angel to me. She's just. Pure good, you know, she never hurt a fly. She never was mean to people. We were always the type of couple who took the high ground and never like, argued or tried to cause a fight or anything like that.

We were just. Kept to ourselves and our nerdy little lives and had fun together, you know, I can't imagine why somebody would hurt her.

Do you think it's a case that can be solved?

I want it to be. I don't know how they're going to do it. I just hope they do; do it.

What changed since Paula Zahn and the recent KHOU interview? We do know Detective Wyatt has said no one has been ruled out....so why does Sergio no longer suspect his dad?

More questions than answers to that theory. I didn't understand Sergio's theory about his dad thinking he would benefit from Liz's $500,000 life insurance policy unless he had discussed her insurance with his dad.

Other Sources: Paul Zahn episode
KHOU One year Vigil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members