TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS

I suspect the shooter killer wore a wig, and am curious if any wig fibers were found at the crime scene? Of course finding the wig would be helpful. In addition, was any evidence left by killer at the crime scene? moo
I am beginning to believe this killer pulled off the "perfect crime"
It really upsets me that this murderer has not been caught-
I believe if this person did this alone and told no one , there is a better chance he/she will not get caught --- but if this person had an accomplice or told somebody, it is more likely this person will get caught cause some people cannot keep their big mouths shut.

Just read all the threads on this case. Odd that there’s been no arrest. I wonder if their cosplay hobby is a clue. Did she get an award that someone else thought they deserved?

Could it be that the driving back around indicates the killer is inexperienced and wanted to make sure she was dead?

The thread suggests there’s video of the vehicle in the neighborhood in the time before the murder but no license plate info?

Where did husband move to?

Seems odd that there’s no suspects.JMO

Just read all the threads on this case. Odd that there’s been no arrest. I wonder if their cosplay hobby is a clue. Did she get an award that someone else thought they deserved?

Could it be that the driving back around indicates the killer is inexperienced and wanted to make sure she was dead?

The thread suggests there’s video of the vehicle in the neighborhood in the time before the murder but no license plate info?

Where did husband move to?

Seems odd that there’s no suspects.JMO
it is frustrating that there appears to be no suspects--many of us here believe
this case is solvable-- now it is over four years and nothing seems new since the
day it happened

Out of curiosity, why are revolvers not used often anymore - why is that gun choice noteworthy? People have noted its advantages, but what were the disadvantages?
Well, one disadvantage is that it only shoots 6 bullets per chamber. The chamber then has to be dumped out and reloaded manually.

This isn’t ideal for a shootout or when you are anticipating to be shot back at.

Cops and soldiers do not use them (much) anymore, as this big disadvantage would likely be costly for them in a shootout.

I am beginning to believe this killer pulled off the "perfect crime"
It really upsets me that this murderer has not been caught-
I believe if this person did this alone and told no one , there is a better chance he/she will not get caught --- but if this person had an accomplice or told somebody, it is more likely this person will get caught cause some people cannot keep their big mouths shut.
This happened in the street, on pavement, out in the open.

If it was inside a room or confined space, it would be easier to collect things like that.

I would imagine something like that would blow around, and also have the added obstacle of things like trees, bushes, rocks, etc.

In 2017, I learned an important lesson when sleuthing murders. Taylor Wright's murder taught me to ask: Cui bono. Who benefits from the crime? Taylor trusted the wrong person. Maybe Liz did, too.

AS has a video, the only one of his videos allowed on this case, where he explains the direction the killer(s) took after her murder in the Nissan Frontier 4x4. The truck had to travel through a ravine when following the arrow on the left.

A Nissan Frontier Pro 4X model can easily handle traversing the terrain in either direction. This model has a removable roof rack. The truck had fog lights that are standard with the Pro 4X which makes it extra nice while driving over rugged land in the dark.

AS also mentions that the Nissan Frontier Pro 4X can be rented. He notes the truck is clean and without signs of any damage, dents, mud on the tires, etc.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 9.19.59 PM.png

Around the 32:22 mark, one can see the truck has a passenger, an accomplice.

Most everything I've read says Liz was a kind, friendly and generous soul. She didn't use drugs, have a history of infidelity, or participate in risky activities. The husband worked for his father's flooring business, att, as I recall, but he no longer does.

I know men whose father owned a flooring company. The father had five boys and all of them were expected to help with the successful flooring business. Hence, I gave them a call in order to replace my flooring.

Those guys were down on their hands and knees, up and down to get more flooring pieces they'd go at the arduous task, from the time they arrived until the day was done. Then, they'd get up and do it again.

They wore especially thick rubber NoCry pads strapped around their knees bc the job is hard on their knees and probably other parts of their anatomy, too. They were bending and squatting most all day long which can lead to bursitis.

Can burner phones be tracked? If a pay-as-you-go phone was used by the participants, about the only way to discover the phone numbers, would be by obtaining a geofence warrant.

"... can be difficult to trace the location or person behind a prepaid cell phone number since a prepaid cell phone can be purchased and used without using personal information."

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-trace-a-prepaid-cell-phone

Geo-fence warrant - Wikipedia
In its Jan. 6 investigation, the FBI used a geofence warrant to collect location info on more than 5,000 devices from Google —later collecting the personal information of 1,498 devices determined to likely be inside the Capitol building.

Geofence Warrant Used to Sweep Up Jan. 6 Protestors Ruled Legal

Investigators are questioning the victim's husband.

Woman gunned down while setting up for garage sale dies; suspect sought

Well, one disadvantage is that it only shoots 6 bullets per chamber. The chamber then has to be dumped out and reloaded manually.

This isn’t ideal for a shootout or when you are anticipating to be shot back at.

Cops and soldiers do not use them (much) anymore, as this big disadvantage would likely be costly for them in a shootout.
I know nothing about firearms. Thank you for your post.

Killer knew Liz would not be armed. She was defenseless, innocent and would not be able to defend herself, imo, killer knew this. The killer is a coward who brutally murdered her, and anyone that knows of information about the murder and does not disclose what is known is a coward too. moo

In 2017, I learned an important lesson when sleuthing murders. Taylor Wright's murder taught me to ask: Cui bono. Who benefits from the crime? Taylor trusted the wrong person. Maybe Liz did, too.

AS has a video, the only one of his videos allowed on this case, where he explains the direction the killer(s) took after her murder in the Nissan Frontier 4x4. The truck had to travel through a ravine when following the arrow on the left.

A Nissan Frontier Pro 4X model can easily handle traversing the terrain in either direction. This model has a removable roof rack. The truck had fog lights that are standard with the Pro 4X which makes it extra nice while driving over rugged land in the dark.

AS also mentions that the Nissan Frontier Pro 4X can be rented. He notes the truck is clean and without signs of any damage, dents, mud on the tires, etc.

View attachment 413985

I was rewatching this same video yesterday. AS brings up an excellent point about killer's escape route. I believe that AS's video two was also approved, but I will have to look that info up as I noticed its not on page one. moo Thanks, @DeDee

Out of curiosity, why are revolvers not used often anymore - why is that gun choice noteworthy? People have noted its advantages, but what were the disadvantages?
5 or 6 shots followed by a slow reload using a revolver, compared to 10 to 15 shots with a fast reload using a modern, concealable, semi auto pistol. IMO

So is this the "most recent" article on Liz's murder? :(

This article from another local news outlet is more recent - Jan. 31, ‘23 - but has no new info that we don’t already know.

2019 murder of Tomball woman shot while setting up for garage sale remains unsolved

View attachment 413985

If you haven’t looked at google maps, I recommend it. You can see how smooth and easy that terrain is, any 2 wheel drive vehicle likely wouldn’t have a problem driving that.

I don’t think the truck was specifically chosen, I think it was convenient for the killer and not connected to them.

As @Pyrite alluded to, advances in manufacturing technology have phased out revolvers.

For generations, semi automatic pistols were very large and had reputations for jamming as making them work near perfectly involved a lot of parts needing to be machined to demanding tolerances. This made mass producing fully reliable semi automatic pistols not cost effective.

Modern manufacturing techniques, however, have allowed for extremely reliable semi automatic pistols to be mass produced and has also allowed full caliber semi automatic pistols to be shrunk down to almost as small as revolvers.

But....One advantage that revolvers still have from the criminal point of view is that they do not eject the spent cartridges- which can become key pieces of evidence.

As a trivia side note....

Some ultra elite anti terrorism groups still favor olde fashioned revolvers as nothing uhmmm.... "stops" terrorists faster than .357 magnum. Likewise, the revolver's small capacity forces the officers to rely completely on precision shooting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member